My progress on WebKit2 port

Nice Work!. Please keep us updated!

Great process, nice to see you working on the WebKit2 port again.
Who else is involved and helping you?

What would we do without your programming skills?

In general @madmax and me also contribute to the webkit port (I haven’t lately, but plan to do so again soonish)

5 Likes

To be fair, I’ve only sent a few small patches, none of them targeting WebKit2 specifically. I think a quick look at Commits · haiku/haikuwebkit · GitHub shows very clearly whom to thank for work in that branch.

2 Likes

Today I have released HaikuWebKit 1.9.5. This is still on the WebKitLegacy branch. There were some problems because the windows version of WebKitLoegacy was removed by Apple, and with it they removed support for Curl in WebKitLegacy, so I had to undo that.

There will be some regressions in this version due to all these changes. I have already noticed that scrollbars are not rendering anymore, and websocket seem to use a lot of CPU while doing nothing. Your help is welcome in testing and finding all the problems, and over the week and next weekend I will try to fix some of them and make another release.

30 Likes

Things fixed:

• Missing scrollbars, I accidentally deleted a function returning the scrollbar size, and so we got 0 pixel scrollbars as that’s the default.
  • Found a bug in WebKit core while attempting to run the testsuite, related to shrinking the favicon and cookie databases when things get deleted from them, the patch is being reviewed upstream. Interestingly this had been fixed in 2021, and then broken again in late 2022. Anyway, it was a simple fix, and I noticed it by chance because we have an error message in case this function fails, where other WebKit ports don’t.
  • Fixed missing code for drawing rounded rectangles, which led to a lot of drawing problems (square avatars instead of rounded on this forum, pretty much all widgets and boxes on Trac, …). For WebKit, everything is a rounded rect!
  • Fixed a missing refresh of the display when the selection is changed, so selected text would not be visible (the WebKitLegacy version for Mac/iOS had the same problem, so once I found that I just had to copy their code in the right place in our port)

I will wait a day more in case there are any more problems, but since these are quite bad overall, I will do a new release tomorrow if no one finds anything more.

34 Likes

Those two issues are unrelated to the latest release.

3 Likes

HaikuWebKit 1.9.6 was released.

• WebKit 616.1.22 (current, 7/19/2023) :white_check_mark:
6 Likes

Buildmaster(s) are stuck atm, so it’s not yet available.

1 Like

So you want to help with WebKit?

I heard that some more people may be interesting in helping with WebKit. So here is a summary of the current state, the things I think need work, or the possible future paths to explore.

Keeping WebKitLegacy up and running

The Web moves fast these days. So we have to stay very up to date with upstream WebKit. Until we have a nice and shiny WebKit2 browser, and, anyways, even after that, we need to keep things up to date.

Currently I take care of this myself. The reason is, it involves merging changes from upstream with our branch, and that’s pretty much impossible to review as a Github pull request (it would show everything that’s changed in the upstream WebKit code, which is usually a lot).

Anyways, here’s how I do it:

• Get the latest commits from upstream webkit
  • Looks for commits with a message saying “Versioning.” in the main branch. These are internal commits from Apple changing some version numbers, but I found that these are usually stable versions of WebKit that will at least compile without too much problem
  • Pick the next such commit, merge it with our branch (using “git merge”).
  • Try to build, fix any issues that show up
  • Make sure the browser still runs.

There are usually some function that have changed prototype and the Haiku implementation needs to be updated, and the occasional merge conflict in one of the few files that have specific code for multiple platforms (typically we just add || OS(HAIKU) to existing cases, but there are a few places where we have to do our own thing.

This brings me to the next two topics…

Upstreaming our changes

A lot of Haiku specific code is maintained in our fork of the WebKit repository. The reason for this is I never took the time to upstream all these things. There are no easily extracted commits (because the only way to keep up with upstream is to use merge instead of rebase), and as a result, the relevant changes have to be manually re-done as separate, nice and clean commits that upstream will accept (hopefully).

The process is something like this:

• Do a “git diff” between our fork and the last upstream commit we merged
  • Look at the differences, find something that can easily be upstreamed
  • Create a nice patch and submit it to WebKit bugtracker or GitHub (there is an helper script in the repository to prepare and submit a patch)
  • Follow up on feedback from code review
  • If there is no one reviewing the code, I found that complaining about it on social networks might work (because some WebKit devs are watching my social network account, I guess). There are maybe more reasonable ways.

Where to start with the upstreaming changes: probably WebCore, WTF and JavaScriptCore. If we start submitting anything substantial, the WebKit upstream will require us to provide a buildbot to build our code. That is then used to build patches submitted to their bugzilla or github, and verify that the code does not break our build.

Until we get this working, we can still submit changes that fix cross-platform code (there are a handful of these in our fork), or that just add Haiku to the list of OS using a specific codepath. Which are also the ones more likely to cause problem when merging upstream changes, so that would still be very helpful.

Merging the code in the WebKitLegacyDirectory is probably not going to happen since upstream is slowly removing that directory (only the iOS port still has it, to run very old iOS apps that need the legacy API).

Fixing and improving the test suite

This is a bit more complex work and requires in-depth investigation of problems.

WebKit comes with several thounsands of tests. Normally, every bug fix or change should be submitted with a corresponding test.

These are non-regression tests, and, in the cross platform and configurable nature of WebKit, there is no hope that all tests will ever run on all platforms and configurations. So, the idea is that there is a “TestExpectations” file for each platform, that can define which tests to skip (because the feature is not implemented and there’s no point), which are expected to fail, which are expected to pass. After making a change, a developer can then run the tests and see if anything was broken or fixed. The bots on WebKit build infrastructure also check for this, and when someone submit a patch, they will warn if tests were broken (or fixed without updating the TestExpectations files).

The testsuite used to run on Haiku, but last time I tried it it completely crashed my machine (probably an app_server crash), and also I ran into problems with Debugger. The testsuite runs one process per core, and configures debug_server to save debug reports if any of them crash. However, Debugger gets very confused if we ask it to save multiple debug reports at the same time. As a result, we end up with several instances of Debugger trying to save debug reports, and eventually the system runs out of memory. Fixing this would be great, because then, the testsuite would have more chances to run.

Experimenting with cross-platform code

The current implementation of WebKit for Haiku tries very hard to use the native APIs for everything. We have scaled back for now on the HTTP implementation, and are using cURL for that (it fixed several bugs compared to our own HTTP library). But for everything else, and in particular for all graphic rendering, we use offscreen BBitmap and BView.

It would be interesting to experiment with using cairo. This can easily be done beind a compile time option (mainly disabling the Haiku specific drawing code when the Cairo one is enabled). There is some integration needed so that in the end, cairo renders to a BBitmap that can be send on screen as usual.

It would be interesting to have this as an option, even if only to compare the rendering and decide if bugs are on WebKit side or in our platform specific code. But it would also fix several problems/limitations of the current drawing code: lack of support for shadows, for font ligatures, for some drawing compositing modes, etc.

The web inspector

WebKit codes with a web inspector. This is mostly implemented as an html/javascript app, that interfaces with the WebKit core and allows to inspect the content of pages. Surely this would be helpful to debug some of the rendering issues. It is “almost completely” implemented, I am not sure what is missing, but I think not a lot.

There is also a “remote inspector” that allows to connect from another machine (used on the iOS version, because running the web inspector on an iPhone is no fun, and similarly in game consoles, embedded systems, …), maybe that is worth exploring too but I have not researched it a lot.

Working on WebKit2

WebKit2 is a new interface to the WebKit engine that runs several parts of the code in different processes. There is at minimum a “web” process that does the html/css/javascript, an “UI” process that does the display (that’s the actual web browser), and a “network” process that does, well, all the network things.

This allows the web browser to be a lot less complicated and just communicate with the other processes. It also means the browser is unlikely to completely crash, instead, most likely the web process will crash, which does not imply losing your list of open tabs, non-saved cookies, etc. It also allows to run multiple web processes, for example, one per browser tab, so the whole browser is not completely frozen when one tab crashes.

Most of the work to get this built and a simple testing browser on top of it has already been done (by Rajagopalan Gandhagaran in Google Summer of Code). However, the code needed a lot of cleanup, and is now several years behind. I have a branch that I rebase every few months with an up to date but non-working version of this code. The main problem is the way the different processes establish connections between each other. Basically the expectation is that the web process creates a socketpair() (similar to a pipe(), but with UDP-like datagram behavior), and then passes each end of the socketpair to the two other processes, and the connection between the UI and network process is establised in this way. Passing file descriptor to the other processes is possible, but in the current attempt to implement WebKit2, we had decided to use BLooper/BMessage instead. So, it would mean that the web process needs to create a BMessenger targetting a BLooper in another app that it knows nothing about (and the other app may even not be running yet). This seems just about possible, but we may need some new APIs here or just do some workaround/hack instead.

Unfortunately, I am busy with many other things and I have been unable to work at this problem long enough to fit it all in my mind and find a solution. I can only look at it every few months, and by the time I have reloaded all the info in my mind, I run out of time again. So, help on investigating this and getting it up and running would be great.

There is also another option here: as mentioned, the other platforms use a socketpair(). We have an implementation of that now, so we could just as well stop trying to push BMessage beyond what they are supposed to do, and use socketpairs like everyone else. This would allow to run WebKit2 with a lot less platform specific code to write, since we could use the “Unix” variant of most stuff (MainProcessUnix, etc) instead of having to write our own. However, it creaet the possible issue that the main thread will not be a BApplication, and, at least for the UI Process (the web browser, that needs to open BWindows to interact with the user), that might be a problem. Or maybe it will work just fine, I’m not really sure.

Continuing the work to merge the webkitlegacy and webkit2 branches

There is normally no conflict between WebKit2 and WebKitLegacy. They can be enabled separately or together, and the cmake build will take care of configuring and building everything. However, our current WebKit2 branch also has a number of hacks and work-in-progress things in shared directories (for example, adding a lot of tracing in WebCore classes around the process initialization). It would be great to get all this code cleaned, rebased, and ready for merging into the WebKitLegacy branch. This way we would have only one branch to maintain, instead of two, making both the upstream merging/rebasing and the submission of patches to upstream a lot easier.

The indentation is also all over the place (in both branches, really) due to Haiku and WebKit not agreeing on the Great War of Space vs Tabs, and I think the decision that all .h files for WebKitLegacy providing the public API that Haiku apps can use would follow Haiku coding guidelines, while everything else would follow WebKit style. This is a bit confusing and hard to maintain.

Certainly not the most exciting work: rebasing changes, cleaning indentation, cleaning commit history and removing debug traces or splitting them to separate commits. But, it would be very helpful.

I hope this gives a good overview of the needed work, and also that a lot of it is caused by decisions and problems on our side, and not at all the fault of WebKit upstream. I also hope it inspires more people in having a go at it and see if they can fix one or two small things.

In any case, thanks for reading this to the end! :slight_smile:

40 Likes

Keeping all this on track with upstream is a monster of a job, we should all be proud on the work you are doing (and did) to keep this going, big thanks from here!!! :trophy:

EDIT: don’t wont to forget all the other people stepping in from time to time here, big thanks!!! :trophy:

15 Likes

This represents indeed an insane amount of work done silently months after months.
I understand that manpower is the main problem but, is there anything people could do to help, outside of the webkit work? For example, add a feature to an Haiku kit or to Genio (if you use it) in order to make things easier, at least less painful.

I do all my work with Vim, and I have no plans to switch to anything else :slight_smile:

Any help is welcome. There are several dozen bugs reported against WebKit and WebPositive in haiku bugtracker. Some of them are not directly related to WebKit, for example, the problems with font ligatures (leading to the icon misrendering in Gerrit) is more of an app_server problem, I think? @madmax would know better, he did a lot of very helpful work in the font rendering side of things already.

On WebPositive itself, there are also many small changes that can be done that do not really need touching the WebKit engine, or just simple changes: for example, fixing the right click popup menu which has an hardcoded “Search with Google” instead of searching with the default configured search engine.

Making small reproducers for WebKit rendering bugs (instead of having to chase a problem in a very complicated webpage) can also be helpful.

Outside of WebKit, really, anything that fixes bugs so I don’t have to investigate them myself. Somewhere near the top of my TODO list currently:

• Fixing sound output on my machine (either hda or usb_audio) would be one less reason to boot another machine to play music while I work on Haiku, and so one less reason to start a browser on that other machine. Or even do something with bluetooth audio, I could probably set up something using that as well.
  • Fixing dual monitor support. Of course if I could use that nice 24" display for Haiku work instead of the 13" display of my laptop, I would use Haiku more
  • Fixing the touchpad and trackpoint on my laptop, as well as making the wifi work more reliably, so that I can also more comfortably use Haiku on the go (at the moment, I have to carry a mouse everywhere, and also I can’t be sure the wifi will work, so I have to use my phone with USB tethering, that results in a lot of messing around that shouldn’t be needed)
  • Work on the Renga XMPP client that I use to join the Haiku IRC channel (and several other chatrooms), the better it gets, the more likely I will use it instead of chat clients on other machines (that will convince me to spend more time in Haiku)
  • Improving Haiku Media Kit for use with HTTP streaming: it is the cause of a lot of headaches with the video supporti n WebKit; to the point that I am now happy that video support is completely broken, doesn’t even try to start playing the videos, and so, WebKit doesn’t crash.
  • Anything else in my TODO list: continue writing the Haiku internals documentation, do code review on Gerrit, keep stuff at haikuports up to date, …

Really, anything that improves Haiku helps me :slight_smile: So thanks to everyone who works on all these things.

The only thing that is not very helpful to me is porting more and more browsers to Haiku. Over the years I have seen many of them be ported and then abandoned to move on the next new one, for several reasons.

19 Likes

Yep. No ligature (or other substitutions and modern font features) in app_server interface that I know of. Even when a full string is sent for drawing we pick each character apart and take its glyph with no context. Also the source of problems for complex scripts.

There are also bugs hidden in some areas of the app_server, stuff you only trigger when you use several of its features at the same time, the kind of thing you might see in WebKit and nowhere else. Like the rendering issues in blocks with transparency and transforms, some of which are due to app_server bugs, at least in part.

So yes, you don’t have to work directly with WebKit code to improve it.

3 Likes

And yes, I can attest to the fact that some things, like being able to support webfonts at all, required a sizable amount of work in the app_server… so you can certainly assist with improvements to WebPositive without coming anywhere near the browser.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update! It seems quite hard to help with webkit itself. I don’t really have much of an idea on any of those, but I can do some UEFI framebuffer experiments with external monitors.
For hardware I assume it all boils down to supporting newer intel chipsets? Qemu does emulate ICH9 now so someone who knows a bit in that area can probably take a look…

If there are specific bugs that are found, I guess an update here could help find someone to work on it.

And as everyone else pointed out, that is a lot of work!! Thanks for working on it!!

4 Likes

For me the bugs with modern Radeons , haiku itself boots only to a black screen , and connected the monitor to DVI results in a message of resolution not supported , via HDMI a black screen only. It was working on RADEON HD 5670 / 5770 without problems. Radeon R9 Black screens and RX580 , RX460 seems to work.

Xlibe creates the BApplication on a thread other than the main one. It seems to work just fine. So, this shouldn’t be an issue.

2 Likes

On itself it isn’t, but the current WebKit port is very centered on BMessages, mainly because of the way the “RunLoop” class is implemented (as a BHandler, that will either attach itself to the BApplication looper, or create its own BLooper when started in a new thread). And also because there is a lot of communication going through BMessage between the window and the application (with the handling of these messages having to be done in the thread that runs webkit webcore code).

It’s not impossible, but it will require disabling Haiku specific code in several places, and rewriting it to use a different type of messaging in some other places.

1 Like

From this point, I can at least test WebKit2 builds on Haiku R1B4 with any newer Haiku integration patches for WebKit2 - at least when my time permits…

8 Likes