My progress in porting Wine

By that logic Windows also do not support NVIDIA GPUs because NVIDIA driver is not located in Windows source tree and provided separately by NVIDIA in binary form.

We are not Linux to force all kernel modules to be in Haiku source tree. It is perfectly fine to have 3rd-party GPU drivers.

OS by definition is a thing that run software, not a thing that does everything by itself. And kernel add-ons is just a kind of software.

It you have exact complains about my ported NVIDIA GPU drivers quality and operations, please tell it clearly. Currently it sounds nothing else but non-constructive personal attack.

10 Likes

No, i will not. Engaging with you is a waste of my time. You have clearly demonstrated that over and over again.

What are you talking about? I have no idea. You mean my opinion about AI assistance tools? My ported NVIDIA drivers do not use any kind of AI tools.

6 Likes

No, it’s not. The drivers are third-party and unofficial, but we discuss all sorts of unofficial and third-party software on this forum, so what’s the difference?

I don’t see the value of this way of speaking. By the standard you are applying here, “Haiku” also doesn’t support opening office documents, editing images, or anything else that you can’t do without installing third-party software…

Now, the NVIDIA acceleration drivers aren’t yet in HaikuPorts (because there are a number of things to be done first with upgrading the Mesa version before that can happen), while all those other things are there. But the drivers exist nonetheless and can be installed.

I don’t think it needs to be upstreamed; it can remain in HaikuPorts, and if we decide to include it in the base install we can just pull it in as a default package like we do with e.g. WonderBrush and other third-party software.

It takes a “long time” for just about anything to happen on Haiku. So saying that something took a “long time” doesn’t mean much.

And I would not go so far as to say “beat into anything resembling Haiku code”. X512’s coding style (code architecturing style, really) is not always to my tastes, I will admit, and certainly X512 has clashed with the development team (and with me personally) many times in the past. But he is clearly a skilled coder who is quite technically capable, and all his work reflects that.

We may disagree significantly on how something should be done or implemented (and we often have), but even while we’re disagreeing, I still find it to be the case that X512 very much understands the matter technically and just disagrees about what should be done about it. And on my own changes, I generally value his input, even when we disagree (often especially when we disagree, as it might force me to think about or defend what I’m doing clearly.)

X512 did pretty much all the “hard parts” of actually writing the RISC-V port, but then others wound up doing the work to clean it up and get it into the tree. So the worst that one can say about X512 here is that he’s not (or wasn’t) much of a “team player” (as we say in English.) But he’s not actually a member of the development team, nor is he trying to become one, so that’s not necessarily a problem.

I don’t see where this is “demonstrated”. I have seen you get annoyed with X512 before, but I don’t see what he has done, at least in this thread, to warrant that. I think X512’s replies to you here are sensible. You are the one who is being rude, from what I can see.

33 Likes

Personally I’d like to thank all the devs for their hard work and dedication to making Haiku a great and amazing operating system.

Thank you :folded_hands:

7 Likes

Yes, that is entirely correct. Haiku does not support Office documents or editing Images, you need to install software for that. I’m not sure how you can dispute that? Your way of thinking makes the oposite assumption of claiming that Haiku can do Literally anything, because there might be some software or driver you can install afterwards. This is not a usefull way to to distinquish stuff.
What’s so hard about admiting that something is a third party driver or application? It is dinsingenious at best if not actively misleading to claim that Haiku can do stuff we literally have no code for.

Should we also include every unmerged change? Why Haiku has had 32bit compat for years!

Haiku supports a fixed set of things and devices, not more, not less. If it’s supported by Haiku bugs belong on our bugtracker, if it’s not the bugs belong somewhere else. It’s really not that difficult to be acurate here instead of intentionally misleading.

Most people don’t speak this way about Linux or other operating systems. Haiku may only support these things “indirectly”, same as other OSes, but people seem to lump together what is supported “indirectly” vs. what’s supported “directly”.

If you want to be pedantic, then just say “You can do [X] with Haiku”, which is clearly true. But I don’t think it’s worth trying to correct everybody who speaks loosely like this.

No, I’m saying that if there is (not “might be”) some software/driver that can be installed afterwards, we should consider this as being supported, even if it’s “indirect”.

Can’t be “installed afterwards”, so by your own phrasing it doesn’t qualify.

10 Likes

Whatever the circumstances the last few (hidden) comments went a little overboard I feel. Disagreeing about things is fine and all, but verbally attacking active contributors on the value of their contributions and urging them to leave goes too far.

As a peace offering, in order to cool heads a bit, I present you this screenshot of the latest Pale Moon 64bit running using the latest Wine on the latest Haiku revision.


As you can imagine it’s not very stable/reliable, it crashes after loading a couple of pages usually.

As for wine itself the version is based on the earlier patches from @X512, it’s very WIP, very buggy, has no sound and doesn’t support 32bit exes so it’s not very useful.
You can find a recipe for this wine version here

14 Likes

Modern Wine has wow64 enabled so it should support both 32bit and 64bit (in theory).

Sometimes a separate prefix helps.Try to create a 32-bit environment in a custom folder:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg.

You can specify the prefix for your apps:
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine application.exe and see if that helps.

WINEARCH may return an error here but you got nothing to lose.

3 Likes

:man_mage: - well done!

Fixed OpenSound build issue.

I just rebuilt with OSS, SDL, USB, and Gstreamer support. Maybe, WOW64? Fun times…

Test apps:

  • Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
  • Adobe Animate
  • Adobe Audition
  • Adobe After Affects
  • Adobe Premier
  • Adobe FireFly
  • Adobe PhotoShop
  • Avid Maestro
  • Avid Media Composer
  • Avid Pro Tools 2025.12
  • Blender 5.1
  • Lotus SmartSuite: Millennium Edition
6 Likes

Is OpenSound still a thing?

but is there already something you can try?

When the package is ready, it is for others to test and review as well.

3 Likes

If you have the patience to set up Haikuporter on your install and compile it using the recipe (it takes ~40 mins here on a 7th gen i3) then yes, it’s something you can try right now.

I do realize it’s a bit steep as a barrier of entry, but it’s an incomplete/broken port so it’s not ready for public availability right now.

I also want to add that I’m not technical enough to fix most of its issues, like 32bit compatibility, my intent was to bring the port and related patches up to date and tweak what I can, so some of the more technical users have a current base to start improving on it.

@cocobean Is Armored Core VI 64bit? Does it display fine?
I imagine performance is not good, but if it doesn’t glitch out and is stable that would mean the 64bit part works fine AFAIK.

Not on my 10yo PC unfortunately :confused:

X86_64 game. Adobe apps are cloud-based so can access through MS Edge and IceWeasel.

I’d figure this port will replace the previous port.

OpenSound is legacy. .MediaKit moreso using the OSS soundcard header preferred. There was an effort to migrate OSS drivers to Haiku driver versions.

Like most pots, takes time. Check out the Wine App database on pass/fail of apps…

2 Likes

Sure, but I’m not interested in what Wine can do per se, I already know it can do a lot, I asked to get a feeling of how complete our port is with 64bit apps.

1 Like

OSS is an API and a set of drivers, the OSS api option in wine is probably not going to help at all. The opensound drivers can be installed on Haiku however if wanted.

Modern wine has a replacement for WOW64, which is basically a method to allow 32bit code to run without a 32bit userspace, if properly ported this could allow us to run 32bit windows apps without needing a haiku 32bit userspace… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

IMHO, I feel it is >=wine_bin 9.7 on my system. If it is a drop-in replacement for wine_bin (9.7) and mimics @X512 efforts then good enough for now? :smiling_face:




Notepad++ v8.9.4:

Darktable v5.4.1:

Inkscape 1.4.2:


Corum III: Chaotic Magic (BoxedWine, - Wine64 not yet, 32-bit game, 3 CDs):

Audacious 4.5.1:

Audacity 3.7.7:


4 Likes

In a way I agree, but I wasn’t able to get Wine Mono and Wine Gecko to install at all when Wine prompted me to (some issue with downloads?) and the move from ~/.wine to ~/config/settings/wine I tried patching in doesn’t fully work.

The folder move can be reverted and it’s not a big deal, but I personally wouldn’t ship it with the Mono/Gecko installers not working.
One could argue they can be downloaded and installed manually, but Wine Mono’s installer worked fine in 10.6. If those don’t work many apps used for internet activity are bound to be broken too.

Maybe WINEDEBUG=+all could help

1 Like