My progress in porting Wine

is winetricks already usable ?
by allowing the download of original and missing dlls, many compatibility issues with wine can be overcome

Itā€™s pretty rare for winetricks to fix anything. A lot of the winetricks scripts also seem to outright fail. No harm in trying it out anyway though.

Iā€™ve found winetricks very useful for installing things like office 2013 under Linux. But the key is to use the one from github as the one supplied by your package manager is probably out of date.

1 Like

guys what do you say?
winetricks is almost essential, as it manages the download of many external libraries that are obtained automatically and in a comfortable way, there are also entire applications that are configured to work on-demand, without winetricks all that it would be very difficult to start many applications and games , and it is not obsolete at all, on the contrary it is constantly updated ā€¦
I donā€™t know where you get this information from, have you tried it recently? or did you just do some experimenting and mess up your ā€œwindows folderā€ by not paying attention to what you were doing and then just give up?
ā€¦moreover, in order not to mess up everything, you can make multiple instances of the windows environment with the different libraries needed according to the applicationsā€¦ itā€™s just a matter of knowing how to use it.

Hi, I just read wine 8.0 was released with all modules and drivers converted to PE format.

if i could run fusion360 in a native haiku instal, Iā€™d do it now, is winetricks with wine capable of this ?

Replying too an old post, butā€¦

More like ā€œDeus X512: APIkind unitedā€ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Besides the obviously gigantic team effort to get us to the point where this was even possible, of course).

2 Likes

Wine 8.0 has been released some time ago, unfortunately building it still seems to require 32bit buildtools. atleast in my testing on alpine linux.
Perhaps in the future this requirement wonā€™t be there : )

Not sure if it helps but from an end user experience Bottles is a far better package of wine and other tools to make windows software run on linux at least, it generally just works for the most part.

Their site is usebottles and the UI is had premade profiles for popular games stores, windows desktop software etc. Not a programmer but if porting anything wine related to Haiku Bottles is something that would be ideal.

I disagree completely. Bottles is the buggiest application that I have ever used. I would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

Also, if an application doesnā€™t work in Wine proper, itā€™s usually because a feature in Wine hasnā€™t been implemented yet. You can sometimes work around it, but you will end up breaking a lot of things that arenā€™t that application.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not had any success with wine under hrev56976. For example if I try running the included Notepad from the Wine menu I just get an empty Notepad window with no menus, just blue pixels.

Iā€™ve tried running some .exe installers with the wine64 command too - nope!

Is wine known to be broke under recent amd64 nightlies?

1 Like

I thought the Haiku port of Wine was 32-bit only. I could be wrong.

wine 8 requires to port an output plugin for Haiku, according to x512:

Since the initial version of winehaiku.drv was made without much effort, it should not be difficult. The internal API was broken there.

1 Like

It seems some regression caused by a change on Haiku side. It works on latest Beta.

2 Likes

It is 64-bit only.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. Iā€™d never tried Wine outside of Linux.

Do you have or had the Theme Manager installed? It installs an unreadable strange font, and some ported programs likes to use it as default font as its name starts with A.

1 Like

No, Theme Manager isnā€™t installed.

Thats a pretty bizarre bug weā€™ve got going on with the font and ports. Is it just with Qt apps or just with GTK or whatever or does it affect multiple toolkits / UIs?

1 Like

How to run a program with wine?

14 Likes