MorphOS port to x86-64

Isn’t MorphOS being ported over to x86? Of course it seems that 68k has made a great comeback in the Amiga world.

No, it’s being ported to x86-64. No 386 compatibility allowed. Also, multicore will be a PC only feature. Anyone on a multicore PPC is out of luck.

I called out x86 in general, not being specific really on the bits.

That’s why I corrected you. :wink: The PC MorphOS port is strictly 64-bit.

I mean you are both sort of right - x86-64 is a 64bit version of the x86 architecture, and it has backwards compatibility with x86. Also - 386 was a pretty old architecture by the time x64 came out, and the Pentium line had added a lot of instructions to it that were not available, so saying 386 is also wrong. I mean, the Pentium line alone added MMX, and there were more instructions than that by the time we hit Pentium 4.

Just to use BeOS as an example - it could only run on Pentium or higher on Intel due to the base instruction set and features they chose to utilise.

1 Like

Thanks for the tie-in. This thread was veering off-course! :smile:

1 Like

I think you were right as we have been forked

MorphOS 4.0 is unlikely to come out any time soon. It’s never been officially announced and the only developer working on it is preoccupied with writing 3D acceleration drivers for G5 PPC machines.

1 Like

Morphos dudes have one idea: MorphZone

Running MorphOS in QEmu is quite similar to the Amithlon technique for running PPC code. Likewise, running 68020 emulation is better done on the x86_64 using FS-UAE. Both techniques would work on Haiku as well as Linux if it weren’t for the missing graphics acceleration on Haiku. IMO, Haiku with bugfixes and graphics acceleration would be a third gen Amiga plus benefits Amiga never had.

1 Like

Yes, Haiku is the spirituall follower of the Amiga OS, and now has many more advantages than all the entire zoo of Amiga systems combined.

…except that MorphOS and AmigqOS 4.1 have graphics acceleration and Haiku doesn’t.

1 Like

AND you can make AmigaOS look EXACTLY like you want it to.

Magic User Interface (MUI) comes with MorphOS but it’s only “optional” on AmigaOS.

AmigaOS4 has MUI “built in”. Changing look & feel on 3.x with VisualPrefs is super nice.

well I got curious about this, if I understand correctly, they have 3D acceleration for Radeon-9250 era graphics card. If that’s correct, rudolfc’s accelerated driver for GeForce 4 is enough to put us generally on the same level? And software rendering on a modern machine might be faster for some cases.

Did I miss something on the Amiga and MorphOS side?

1 Like

It would be great to get hardware graphics acceleration supported on something. If anything, I’d be happy with support for Intel’s integrated graphics hardware. I can’t imagine the lift it takes to make it work, but kudos to those who can make it so.

@PulkoMandy
Indeed, you have missed something.

The Enhancer Pack drivers for AmigaOS4.1FE2 from AEon bring drivers up to early Radeon RX series graphics cards with shader support. These drivers come bundled with the AmigaOne X5000 series and are sublicenced for bundling with the latest version of the SAM460 series as well. The two APIs supported are Warp3D Nova (proprietary) and OpenGL-ES 2 or higher via compatibility layer. Via another compatibility layer on top of that, called GL4ES, desktop OpenGL runs with shader support also.

As for MorphOS, the latest experimental builds of TinyGL have full-ish shader support from Bigfoot on some models of G5 PowerMacs and also the X5000. Unfortunately, the models of Radeon cards supported by MorphOS and AmigaOS4.1FE2 are not the same so dual-booting an X5000 between them is a nightmare. My G4 MacMini has rather dated graphics with minimal shaders but thankfully, it’s the silent upgrade model with 64 meg video RAM and faster clocks.

Not exactly i think it’s even on modern ati radeon hd 5xxx (on amiga os 4.2) but on morph os i don’t know honestly. And in aros is the contrary there are drivers for nvidia(nouveau.hidd) but only supports up to Fermi cards if i remember correctly.

Re:AROS
There once were a half-dozen developers for AROS, now there is one: Deadwood. He seems to be updating things here and there but the old graphics driver for GeForce nVidia cards has been untouched for a long time because LLVM (and LLVM-Pipe) are not supported by AROS. There is an older Intel graphics chip support for AROS though. 32-bit versions of the EeePC netbook run AROS quite well.

1 Like