Merchandise and 20th Anniversary Logo: Feedback, Ideas and Designs Wanted

Thanks for the suggestion - I will pass that onto Freewear!

1 Like

November Update on Merchandise

Hi all, an update on merchandise:

I passed on @Munchausen’s suggestion about desk mats to Freewear, they said that these are manufactured with a technique which they have supply issues for tooling. They can’t be certain of the quality of the desk mats produced so they can’t offer desk mats at this time.

Someone on IRC suggested stickers, so I’m happy to announce we will be getting those - I’m just in the process of designing those.

Unfortunately, Freewear’s technology means that there are some limitations on the designs they can print - they cannot print shadows and gradients - Haiku’s icons have lots of these, so unfortunately designs with Haiku’s icons in them can’t be printed. :frowning:

I will work with Freewear to see what designs we can print. On that note, @hean8209, could you please send SVGs of your designs? I am hoping to get your designs printed but I need the designs in SVG format. Thanks!

Regarding printing, the colours of the HAIKU logo will be adjusted to suit the printing process, so you may notice that the colours aren’t exactly what is used in the logo on our website and within the OS, and the gradients and shadows aren’t there. Unfortunately, this is one of the limitations of the printing technology, but the benefits of a partnership with Freewear (i.e. an organisation dedicated to helping FOSS projects, the higher quality and services for FOSS conferences and events) outweigh these limitations.

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

2 Likes

As @win8linux shared on the Discord server, the FreeWear link for Haiku merch is live and looking good! FreeWear.org

5 Likes

Yeah, I was going to wait for the website news post to go live since that goes onto the forums too, but looks like you’ve beat me to it :laughing:

1 Like

I just ordered my first three shirts,the designs look really good on the website.
Prices are also really okay,many brands are even more expensive for normal clothes.
The only thing I dislike is that they want my phone number,I can’t proceed if I leave the box empty,I have no idea why they need it and what they want to do with it,but normally I prefer to keep it private.
Also you need to be aware that they don’t accept American Express cards.
Not a big problem for me,I’m in EU so I can use SEPA instead,but just saying.

2 Likes

That is a valid concern. I have passed your feedback to Freewear, whose response I attach below:

We fully understand that person’s mistrust, but, please, the phone number is a necessary field because it’s required by the shipping companies to prevent delivery problems. For example, if we don’t provide it to UPS, it can’t be shipped. And a lot of times, the postal service mail carrier calls the person if they can’t find them.
We keep strictly personal data until we have proof of delivery of the shipment (a month, usually) and then are automatically destroy it. We only keep item, country, quantity, amount and donation, as you can see if you log in. The data is kept in FreeWear for a reasonable period of time and then it is always destroyed.

3 Likes

That’s a bit ridicilous, Severall packages have arrived at my and others home without issues, why require a phone number “just in case”?
I don’t want to be called by the post, ever, they can use a map like everyone else can.

2 Likes

In my case many packages have been saved by this. Not because of not finding my building, but because the main door is closed and the mailboxes are behind it. While the national post office is allowed to have a pass key to enter, other services usually don’t.

Normally I put my flat number in the address and they can use my doorbell, but often this part of the address goes missing somewhere in the process. Or maybe I’m just not home when they attempt a delivery.

It is reasonable to have a way of contacting me in these case, or as well if the package gets damaged or lost or stuck in customs or whatever. Even if this does not happen frequently, when it does, it avoids the package going back to the sender, who would then probably have to try sending it again (who is going to pay for this?) resulting in frustration for everyone: delayed package, extra work for the sender, and a package travelling around europe or around the world several times for no reason.

Anyway, if you are not happy about it, use 00000000 or something similar as a phone number. It will get you past the check on the website, and numbers starting with 00 are not valid anywhere in the world because that’t the prefix for international calls, so you make sure you don’t enter a valid number by accident.

E-Mail would be enough!?

1 Like

Here every doorbell has the last name of residents listed, so this is not required.
It seems very strange to me to demand something from everyone because a minority has problems that can be solved by it, it should just be optional imo.

edit: The normal way of simply putting card or a sticker stating at which post office the package is works fine too.

2 Likes

Why would I want everyone to learn where I live just by looking at doorbells? My doorbell has only the flat number. This is getting more common because now the doorbells are an electronic system and it’s too complicated to change the names whenever someone moves in or out. One of the few cases where technology ends up improving privacy :smiley:

If they can reach my mailbox, yes. But if they just stick it on the main door, it’s quite likely it will disappear (someone could attempt to steal the package using it, or maybe just because it’s windy and/or rainy and the door isn’t protected from it).

I agree the phone number could be optional, but also I understand why the sender and shipping service don’t want to handle undeliverable packages and prefer to be extra safe here. So, they make it mandatory, and if you really don’t want to give it, just use 00000000 as I said. Then if they don’t manage to deliver the package, they can clearly tell it’s your decision to not provide a phone number in case of problems.

I 100% agree.
I never needed a phone number for packages before,not even when ordering from companies known for having privacy problems.
And if I’m not at home while they try delivering it,then I’m at work and won’t be able to answer the call anyway.
Well,it’s too late,I ordered already (and gave them my number),but I didn’t know that they also pass the number on to the delivery service.
That makes it even worse.

1 Like

You have been lucky. I get a lot of stuff delivered, and the vast majority of companies in the UK ask for a phone number.
The overwhelming advantage of the phone is that it’s instant. Delivery drivers don’t have time to write emails and wait around for an answer.
I am very happy to give out my number and be sure to get my lobster and caviar before it goes off.

@PulkoMandy (& anyone interested in promoting haiku): please, please, please ∞
(as I’m not a native english speaker my english could sound commanding and/or harsh and/or arrogant — please forgive me — I just want to help)

• referring to some and „hiding“ artwork in some repository is not good (I mean the repo should be a more extensive option, not to be omitted).

• acknowledge that the less a designer has to think about technical things/aspects or materials, the freer s*he can design.
      • there are experts for thinking about how to realize and produce ideas (I’m one of them and I’m willing to help and support) — designers shall belief that nothing is impossible; subsequently they will appreciate the limits of what is possible (if they don’t have Narcissistic Personality Disorder :wink:).
  • set up a subpage on the Haiku’s website especially for designers (and those who belief to be designers) and journalists and bloggers/vloggers:

• provide something like a corporate design manual and/or styleguide — the NO-GOs are more important because a corporate design doesn’t really exist yet (do not fear the terms »corporate« [and »marketing«]!);
    • provide vector graphics, not raster graphics; an awful upscaled image with compression artefacts is worse and more damaging than no communications[!!!];
    • provide graphics as PDF[!(Europe)], EPS[!(America)], SVG or (if not possible) high-resolution TIFF with ICC color profiles embedded (≧1200dpi; 300dpi is only OK for color[!] photos[!], not for fine art like font type or logos);
      • full logo
      • design elements like parts of the logo like the leafs, the feather-menu
      • icons (e.g. the boot screen icons)
      • etc.
    • „prohibit“ the use of fonts other than the intended one; provide possibilities for downloading the intended font family;
    • add a banner-like indication to point out the legal limits to avoid misuse of the brand;
  • focus communications/advertisements on real influencers (journalists, bloggers/vloggers, etc.)

• do not focus communications/advertisements on people who know what MS-DOS is; they will be dead when HAIKU left Beta status (🤷 sorry);
  • know/understand/perceive/recognize/acknowledge/appreciate/respect

• this kind of promotion can lead to more fans and try-out users — engaging more Devs needs much other kind of communication;

Please do not start a discussion about how wrong I am in your view — if, talk about your views about how to reach communicative goals otherwise.

@PulkoMandy please do never convert text to outlines, please, it’s 2021, please.

Hello, I’m a member of the Promotion Team. We started out last year and have been working to increase promotion efforts of Haiku.

The Haiku artwork repo is here on GitHub: GitHub - haiku/artwork: Artwork for Haiku

We already have one here: Designing | Haiku Project

We release press releases in the news section: News | Haiku Project plus maintain a media list where we send our press releases to as well - if you know any media outlets that could be added let me know!

Issue is I don’t think anyone knows how to make a styleguide - help is more than welcome.

Some of our graphics use the HVIF or the WonderBrush format which can both be converted to SVG. Some of our graphics are already in SVGs. Unfortunately, issues with the file converter mean that converting HVIF, which is used by Haiku’s icons doesn’t work for some icons. Patches welcome!

We have a trademark policy already: Trademarks - Haiku, Inc.

We are in the process of working out modern ways to advertise Haiku to users.

I’m not sure who does the graphics but please don’t mention PulkoMandy for all this - Haiku doesn’t have a lead developer nor a “benevolent dictator”. Yes, the fact that the text is converted to outlines for some of the graphics is quite annoying, but thankfully the graphics we’ve had to use don’t do this.

The only case I’m aware of is the “HAIKU” in the Haiku logo. It was converted to outline because it needed to be modified from the original font:

• Some of the text was replaced by leaves
  • Some of the outline was slightly tweaked to nicely align with the pixel grid, since the logo is mainly intended for use on screen

And you really don’t want to build this one from the original font anyway. It’s a logo.

So, I don’t understand what you are complaining about. It seems we already do all you want?

And also, yes, I’m not part of the design team and not a designer. I did order some stickers and did some work on the DVD artwork when I ordered a batch of DVDs for the beta1 release (mainly tweaking the existing artwork to fit the template provided by the manufacturer).

And, yes, most of the artwork is in Wonderbrush format, which is a bit annoying if you don’t use Haiku. But you have to accept that we’re serious about using our own operatign system and apps as much as possible. We certainly need to do some work on better export to formats suitable for printing.

Well, okay, I probably overstated my complaint - it’s only the DVD covers to my knowledge that have text converted to outlines.

As for the logo, that makes sense as we rarely need to edit this. But for graphics that need to be changed (i.e. the DVD covers) it makes sense to not convert these to outlines.

Hello. I know you. I know you as the initiator of the Promotion Team and I see you as alike the “Head of Communications” (I know you don’t).

I know there is the artwork repo, but since often the question for “where to find artwork” comes up, it means to me that there is a need for its own comprehensive section on the website. The “Designing” page does not match the needs of a Corporate Design (CD) manual since they are Human Interface guidelines. What it needs is a place where Haiku-enthusiasts with skills and/or interest in design and communications find resources, materials, inspiration and orientation to create advertisements and alike.

Yes, fine! But there they just find text content but no resources and materials to illustrate their own content; they mostly use a screenshot of the desktop which looks more or less the same for years and does no transport Haiku’s progress.

It’s not rocket science. Just take a look at some styleguides/​manuals and imitate them. I already made some and created works based on styleguides/​manuals made by others. For Haiku start with little scope, it will grow by its needs.

CD manuals/​styleguides shall achieve consistency and comprise/contain DOs and DONTs regarding …

• logo: sizing, spacings, margins, etc.
    • some logo DOs and DONTs already exist;
  • typography, fonts: sizes, spacing, margins, etc.
    • font families already are selected
    • especially for the web-pages is defined when and how to use which family;
    • for printed materials there is currently much inconsistency
  • color: ensemble/​combination of colors and color with visual design elements
    • many colors are defined already
  • layout: “white space”, space between elements generally, between words/letters particularly (if background is e.g. blue it’s also called “white space”); position/​arrangement/​formation/​order/​grouping of elements, etc.
    • web-pages already have their consistent layout
    • printed materials often neglect consistency
  • visual design elements (besides the logo): shapes, icons, the leafs, etc.

Most information already exists, it just needs to gathered and put together in a document which then is the CD manual/​styleguide. I’m willing to help and support but can not invest much time. If you, the team, could collect together a first draft till Christmas I might be able to provide feedback early January.

I’ve picked out a few documents that should help you take a step into styleguides and CD manuals. They are very comprehensive and detailed but Haiku’s manual/​styleguide (currently) does not need to be this extensive. Much is in german but you don’t need to read all details, it’s more to get a feeling about it. So just get inspired.

Also SVG is not ideal for printing purposes. PDF (or EPS) should be preferred. If converting does not work fine virtually print them into a PDF file. Tools like Inkscape or Scribus or beyond should be preferred.

These are the legal aspects not the visual ones.

The CD manual/​styleguide is meant to be a foundation for that and should be a kind of framework for specific matter (merchandise, flyers, Compact Disk inlays, etc.) so not every time the wheel needs to be re-invented.

2 Likes

Sorry for mentioning you where it was not needed. To me it looks like you did a lot of graphics, especially the inlays for a CD/DVD case. (You also seem a bit like the CEO which I know you’re not. I know there is no Haiku’s Steve Jobs but many Steve Wozniaks)

… and not text. In that case there’s no other way to do so. Even if the logo was in an icon font that had to be created this way.

In fact it’s not converted to vector outlines but rasterized to pixels, saved as PNG or TIFF. This results in blurry low-resolution artwork. Inlays, flyers, banners, posters and so on should made as PDFs with real text and embeded fonts and vector graphics for icons. Also gradients should not be raster images because of the technical circumstances and conditions of the printing process. Rasterization should happen in the print company.

And that’s another reason for a CD manual because based on that templates can be prepared which can also be used by non-experts so more or less anyone can realize high-quality prints.