Media Release: The Haiku Project Celebrates the Release of Beta 3 | Haiku Project

What is a Media Release?
Will there be an official Release?

It was on sunday:

Version: R1/beta3
Release date: July 25th, 2021
2 Likes

July 25th of which timezone? Here it was 26th. :grin:

1 Like

Sorry, still do not get it why it is called a Media Release?
It is just confusing the non english speaker!

There is not Headline on the www.haiku-os.org website it is on second place right now?!

Why not:
Haiku Beta 3 is out now!

Media Release is like saying Press Release - it’s away of Identifying the communication. In this case: The Haiku Project Celebrates the Release of Beta 3

2 Likes

The media-release is a zip file containing screenshots, some intruductionary text, install and user guide, release note / etc) targeted for the new writer testers at computer-news webpages/magazines.

But yeah, good question why this article got so much attention, and why the Haiku webpages dont* have any true release announcement article, and only the download button tells to the eagle-eyed visitors that something happened. I had to check myself to make sure no news went out I am not aware of. I myself believed till today noon the release didn’t happened yet.

Marketing team?

3 Likes

We felt it was easier to just have one announcement for everyone, so we had the media release as the announcement. Originally, the download button was placed at the very top of the announcement, however since the website doesn’t render images when they are placed at the top, it had to be moved to the bottom.

Unfortunately, that’s how the website works, any new posts go at the very top. We could implement some sort of website header message.

That’s the point of a media/press release. But the version on the website probably shouldn’t be titled “media release” because a press release about a software release is of course confusing everyone by using the same word for two things :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If I see this right then 64bit Haiku is using GCC 8? That’s acceptable. My GenToo has 10 and the current version is 11.

2 Likes

Yep, GCC 8.3.0 is the currently used compiler (available both for 32 and 64 bit)
GCC 11.1 recipe is already available, you can build it yourself, as it is not in the repository (yet).

2 Likes

I guess we can bump it and enable it now that beta3 is out?

3 Likes

Same with Mesa.

Mesa 21 still has known issues

I think we have to make sure it can build Haiku first. AFAIR: there was some problems with that, but possibly already resolved.

2 Likes

I think the only issue with Mesa 21 is crash GLInfo on quit which can be fixed by removing a lock. @3dEyes has been testing Mesa 21 for the last several months and didn’t run into any other problem.

7 Likes

non-32bit color modes are still broken with opengl applications like glteapot

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/16847

Edit: and checking the ticket, there seems to have been no progress since i opened this half a year ago.

1 Like

Finally had a chance to install R1B3 on a Lenovo e560 this weekend. Now that I have Haiku running on a dedicated machine, will have a chance to poke around an file a few bug reports if necessary. :sunglasses: Feels good to run Haiku on real hardware again. Thanks again to everyone that made Beta 3 a reality.

9 Likes