Media Release: The Haiku Project Celebrates the Release of Beta 3 | Haiku Project

I’m pleased to see that the EFI bootmanager now successfully finds a Haiku system to load. Previously, it would say no system found, and I’d have to manually search and select it on every boot, however it is now smart enough to iterate through avaible partitions and find Haiku, so I finally can boot straight to Haiku. Thank you devs.

5 Likes

We’re here :slight_smile:

We prepared the announcement for Beta3, which you might notice is now in the form of a media release to make it easier for publications to pick up and report on. We’ve also prepared a press kit with screenshots, a guide for reviewers, a PDF copy of the press release and some logos and graphics.

We are currently in the process of contacting publications and reviewers, as well as services like DistroWatch and DistroTest. If you know of any publications that could cover the news, do let us know!

4 Likes

Yes, that is what we are doing. Though, I think through formatting the announcement as a media release has really helped with media coverage: our announcement appeared on Bing News and multiple news outlets from around the world have already picked it up.

2 Likes

Distrotest has been updated and you can now test Beta3 here: DistroTest.net - The first online operating system tester

Also, @animortis contacted a lot of publications today, with more to be contacted tomorrow! We should see lots more media coverage and reviews in the coming days.

2 Likes

No, you misunderstood me: there are question in HN, i thought you guys will give answer there too. Maybe i also misunderstood something. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I think @bitigchi’s been answering some of the queries there, and I think that it’s best if the Promotion Team stayed away from there. Some of the comments are quite hostile already.

It is sad to see even the HN users know basically nothing about Haiku, but at least what they know it is mostly wrong, but to compensate it: they are loud.

Obviously I don’t expect you to register everywhere and to correct everybody, but some people from the community who have HN account should maybe supply correct info and hope they are not write-only.

3 Likes

I read HN quite a bit, but I don’t post there. I think the discussion about this release was fine, though it is already on page 3 after a day. It was mostly positive with just one main negative thread with someone complaining about Haiku not working on 4 laptops they tried. I can see how that would be really frustrating, it pisses me off too when something doesn’t work. But that person was really upset, but other HN people not really associated with Haiku kind of came to our defense. So overall not too bad.

But yeah, better hardware support would be good. As we all know. Also maybe the experience for when it can’t boot could be improved in some way, though without knowing what is wrong it is hard to say what could be improved. And not booting is just one of those tough issues where there isn’t much you can do unless you are a developer and can get a serial line set up.

5 Likes

It is normal hackernews culture to have people in the comments loudly complaining about things and ignoring facts. Not sure it is worth spending any energy on it. People who read hackernews know about how it is.

4 Likes

Woahh. Just some days off and I miss Beta3. Congrats to all involved. I guess I have to update my gear now…

1 Like

Sticky thread on Reddit still has beta 2.

1 Like

As always:

“… they’re tied to GCC2 which is slow compared to modern GCC …”

I don’t really understand why the linux-advocates have so much fear from Haiku. Everything will die one day, unix did already, linux will too.

1 Like

I see that on Distrowatch that if you select their 7 day page ranking Haiku is already number 18, so in popularity (albeit in the aftermath of a milestone release) it is starting to mix it with the premier league of linux distros.

5 Likes

Hello to all,

This operating system is so interesting! I am very happy that beta number three is out.

I wish all the best to Haiku!

Sincerely,

3 Likes

81 to be precise… using 6 month ranking :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve spend lots of time lately on Repology and saw we are not alone in using an ancient compiler (gcc2*) :slight_smile:

Quite right. Lean and mean.

Although from a professional point of view using GCC2 is quite the insult :wink:

Just get the 64bit version of Haiku? You will see that we are not tied to gcc2 in any way and we use it just because… we like to, I guess?

7 Likes