MBR not found on USB stick

I finally got the latest nightly haiku-nightly-hrev51782-x86_gcc2_hybrid-anyboot put on a thumb drive from lubuntu 17.10 on a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. I used “sudo dd status=progress if=haiku-nightly-anyboot.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1” as the command to do so. The drive mounts as Haiku and contains the home and system folders. When i try booting it, I get an error to the effect of usb device contains no boot record. This computer boots lubuntu just fine from a USB stick. I have another Dell laptop that boots Haiku on a stick. No, I don’t have access to that machine right now. Is there anything I can try short of trying a different nightly?

Well nevermind. Just after posting, my computer spontaneously shut itself off, then booted just fine into Haiku from the USB stick. Weird.

For the record: “bs=1” will make dd copy things one byte at a time so it will be super slow. The proper command is “bs=1M” to copy one megabyte at a time.

No need to redo it all if you got it working, still.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on blocksizes. I was wondering why it took an ungodly long time to write. It has been a long time since I’ve played with dd.

Now that I’m on bare metal, I noticed that the grub guide is missing a rather important semi colon in the grub2 section.

- menuentry “Haiku R1A2” { set root=(hd0,3) chainloader +1 }
+ menuentry “Haiku R1A2” { set root=(hd0,3); chainloader +1 }

This left me scratching my head as to why I couldn’t boot Haiku from the grub menu while booting with the same commands from the grub prompt worked just fine. A trip to grub’s menuentry documentation sorted it out. I wonder how many people have been discouraged by this? And I’m not quite yet sure where to report this. It should be a simple fix. I’d fix it myself, but I don’t know how.

1 Like

thanks, fixed!

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response and ! Does this count as my first “patch?” Jk, jk.

Yes, all contributions are welcome :slight_smile: