Manuskript available for Haiku

http://besly.de/index.php/en/painting/icon-o-matic/how-to-add-a-icon-to-a-binary

Awesome! Thanks! I never even thought of that.

Sometimes it can be good to visit our knowledge base :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wont work, it was already told.

But this way could work.

You got to export as ā€œBEOS:ICON attributeā€ and choose the file that should get the icon, see the Userguide chapter on Icon-O-Matic.

1 Like

is there any documentation how to do thisā€¦ or can you bit explain how to do this is in haiku-wayā€¦ i think some nice python app can be make package/recipe this way that very interesting

The python functions are documented. Itā€™s somewhat esoteric business in that it calls for someone with both C and Python skills, but mostly the former. What you get is a binary that runs the program, that you can then attach the icon to - in essence a custom interpreter instead of the normal python interpreter (and its icon.)
https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/veryhigh.html

ahā€¦ thereis already an phyton qt app recipe that you @roiredxsoto can get inspiration fromā€¦ here the link https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/pull/2940

1 Like

No, that is not enough, i can just repeat myself.

Good day @donn,

Actually, my Python knowledge is limited, and my C/C++ knowledge is as good as NULL, therefore is taking me quite longer to find a way. I will nonetheless, but I need time to learn more Python and understand the files Manuskript provides. Also, I need to study Haikuports, as it might be the right path.

For now, the package works, but does not integrate yet with the Haiku HIG.

Had I have more time and knowledge, the issue might have already been solved. I do need to have it solved as I intend to port some GTK apps Iā€™m making in Python to Haiku, and by port I mean port the UI, which Iā€™m coding as separate entity in order to just code the proper Haiku UI to get the port done. So sooner or later, it will be done.

Patience and dedication, we will get there. Thanks for the links @donn and @mazbrili. @extrowerk, thanks for your help too, I would be hitting the wall for weeks if you hadnā€™t point out the ā€œtrickā€:

Regards,
RR

Really just about anyone with basic C programming skills and the ability to read documentation can do that C program, and it would be pretty much a generic utility for anyone with a Haiku Python program. Practically a beginner project, but with real programming skills: reading and understanding documentation, thinking about what can go wrong and what to do about it, what needs to be controlled by the end user, etc.

1. C program to set up the interpreter, redirect outputs and run the program. Use compile time macro for file names etc., so for each application itā€™s gcc -DPROG=whatever.py
  2. script to build the C program with right parameters and set the icon file.
  3. try it with a couple simple test Python programs.

You need to redirect output units 1 and 2, together, to somewhere that the user can get at it. If only for tracebacks. See open(), dup2(). So thatā€™s one of the required compile time parameters, the log file. May also need a custom Python library path, etc.

yesterday i try @lelldorin method, i try treeline https://sourceforge.net/projects/treeline/
install it with path directed to non-package, locate the ā€œbinaryā€ file (i dont know its correct or not call it binaryā€¦ , applying lelldorin methode can change the iconā€¦

so i think if you can make the package it seem icon can be streamed into it (via rdef.in file)
CMIIWā€¦

But does the icon shows up in Deskbar?

Good day everyone,

Itā€™s been long since I havenā€™t done anything with Manuskript, apologies. In the past days I finally figured out how to make a simple C++ wrapper for python apps, just as @donn said. I finally got the time to do it, and now we are finally here, working on it again:

Manuskript

As you can see, Manuskript icon shows on the Deskbar, while Manuskript app is running, no more PythonX.Y icon and name there.

Manuskript2
And it also has the Icon in the tracker, and works with double click on it.

This is the last version of Manuskript, 0.11.0, released on January 2020.
The next step is prepare a package for testing. In the following days it will be available for local installation and testing, before any further steps.

Thanks all,
Regards,
RR

4 Likes

Good day,

It took some time, but finally there is a package of Manuskript 0.11.0 for Haiku. This is still a very early attempt, so please let me know if you have any issues with it in order to improve the package.

Here are some images from just a moment ago:
Manuskript
Right now, each time you launch Manuskript, this Alert appears, this will be removed after testing is over. I know, right now might be a bit annoying, though is just a reminder that the package is not 100% ready yet.
Manuskript2
Manuskript4

Also looks like the work of @3dEyes on the Qt theming has paid off, and now Qt apps match the dark theme, and menu is readable. Thanks @3dEyes.

I still need to figure out what to do, and how, with Manuskriptā€™s file types. That will be for the next package revision with some other improvements.

As this is the first package I make, might be some issues with the requirements file, so if you canā€™t install it, let me know, report the issue.

Thanks all,
Regards,
RR

3 Likes

@Knez, the package is already available for testing. Let me know any issues you find:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/77ar2dd65apdlmo/Manuskript-0.11.0.hpkg?dl=0

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Reminder: it is not recommended to download and install packages from links in the forum. Use with caution.

(as usual, not targetting or suspecting you in particular to be malicious, itā€™s just good practise to keep in mind)

Oh, I misread and went to HaikuDepot to check it. Now I understand why I couldnā€™t find it :slightly_smiling_face:

It would be great if this app would make its way into the HaikuDepot catalog.

Iā€™m flattered :blush::blush::blush: ā€¦ I remember belonging to a hacking group, IIRC was called the haikumvengersā€¦ Almost a year for a simple C++ wrapperā€¦ :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I see my future searching for jobs in the hacking sideā€¦ :joy::joy::joy: Just joking!.. :wink:

Actually, you are right. Never thought about it though. When I have the next step complete I will look into deploying the package into HaikuDepot or the Softwareā€™s owner website, or both. Hopefully it wonā€™t take almost another yearā€¦ :smile:

Regards,
RR