KDE Frameworks 5 and KDE apps

Without the “packaging improvements”, none of this effort in porting KDE would have been possible. Actually, it had been done before (in TiltOS) but without a proper package manager, it is nearly impossible to keep things up to date as the OS moves on, so these ports stopped working and getting them to work again involved starting back from scratch.

As for Haiku inc, if you look carefully at their homepage, you will see that I’m not a member, and never donated any money to them. So, I have nothing to say about how they spend their funds. How it works usually is people ask for a paid contract first, and after it is granted by Haiku inc, they start work on it. You can discuss that with them, but not with me :slight_smile:

1 Like

@pulkomandy… can you tell to us this issue of “package improvement” need to be done?
yes i try to install tiltos before and not succeeded…
i dont want that happen to kde5 framework

1 Like

TitlOS used a text file system to install packages, like in times before alpha 4. This does not manch anymore. But it runs, because i write an installed in the past for it:

2 Likes

dwt made it sound like the contracts funded by Haiku inc on package management where somehow wasted effort. For the record, during these contracts, Oliver Tappe and Ingo Weinhold worked on setting up the package manager (pkgman) and everything needed to go along with it: defining the hpkg file format, setting up repositories to update Haiku, and reworking haikuports to generate packages using the new format (which led to rewriting most of the existing recipes).

The initial goal for all of this work was to allow updating Haiku from a version to another. The idea being that we can then release an imperfect beta1, but then keep fixing bugs in it and letting users update to the most recent version easily. Without this, the Haiku team would never dare to release a beta with bugs (they have very high quality standards).

However, the initial thoughts on just a system updater evolved onto a much larger project, solving the larger problem of porting software to Haiku and then keeping it up to date. As a result of this, instead of people porting and compiling things manually and in ways that are hard to reproduce, we now have a repository of “recipes” at haikuports, which are essentially little scripts with the instructions on how to build each ported piece of software.

Thanks to these recipes, we can accumulate knowledge on how to build things, and automate large parts of the process. With these tools, we were able to port many libraries and tools and easily keep them up to date. This includes all Qt dependencies, then Qt itself, then the KDE frameworks, then the tools that needs the framework.

There are still some efforts needed on fully automating everything, but we are already seeing the result of this work in the simple fact (but great achievement) that it is possible to get KDE frameworks and big aps such as Krita or Calligra to run smoothly on Haiku.

This is not to dismiss the work that 3deyes has done on getting this to run, but a reminder that previous efforts by other people were also needed for getting there.

3 Likes

I do it just for fun. If you want to make a donation to Haiku, then do it there - http://www.haiku-inc.org/donations.html.

6 Likes

That wasn’t my intention - and if it came across that way, I apologise.

I was merely questioning why the Inc. hadn’t spent money on improving end-user apps such as the browser in addition to the packaging contract.

And I shouldn’t have aimed the question at you as you’re not in the Inc.'s board, so again, I apologise.

2 Likes

The inc funded my work on the web browser for a full year. But I noticed they have not updated their page about funded development to mention that. They also funded Barrett’s work on the Media Kit to allow native applications to do media streaming.

As for 3rd-party applications, it’s just that no one asked for funds, I guess. Wether the inc accepts the requests or not is another problem, but maybe someone from the Inc can tell us their policy about that. I would guess it depends on who makes the request, usually they tend to grant contracts only to already well-known contributors, and at a quite low price for full-time work. Their goal is to allow people to work full-time on things, and not needing to have a paying job alongside it.

@lelldorin… err… i don’t get it… apologize me… you mean we can use your besly-qtapp -installer to install kde4 application ?

@3dEyes: So, what do you have now done?

• You have ported some Qt and KDE programs and libraries to Haiku.

But have you also

• Added your changes with #if, #else, #endif in the code, that the build for other platforms are not affected by your changes
  • Commited your changes to the devolopers of Calligra, KolourPaint, Krita and other?
  • Uploaded precompiled 32bit and 64bit binaries of the programs and libraries, so that everybody can test and using it?
    You can for example upload binaries on Bitbucket and Github.

Without that things, it makes not much sence for us. It is nice that all that working for you. But we have nothing of that.

Roberto_Costa already asked for binaries, but you don’t answered it.
So, please share your modified source code and publish binaries. Screenshots alone don’t help.

1 Like

Be patient, pls.
Everything will be soon.
All patches and recipes will soon be published to the haikuports. This is not a fast process and it takes a lot of time. For example, the kde framework consists about 50 packages.

10 Likes

No tilt os uses the install optional packages like haiku before or up to alpha 4 and does not available any more

TiltOS was an unofficial package Management stuff for pre-PM Haiku, but it is superseeded by the official Packagemanagement in Haiku nightly builds.
Afaik the TiltOS guy abandoned his project long time ago.
Lelldorin Made a GUI wrapper for the TiltOS package Manager, but it is also deprecated as we have HaikuDepot where you can find the Qt stuffs already.

2 Likes

Here’s a status update:

I’m currently carefully going through about 50 KDE Frameworks recipes cleaning them up and fixing last known issues.

3dEyes is working on Haiku icon theme for Qt/KDE using Zumi icons to make apps look native.
Today he figured out why icons wouldn’t show up in KDE file panel which will require some more fixes to a few recipes. It is decided that the theme will be part of qthaikuplugins package.
This is how apps look as of now:

12 Likes

Diver,

I didn’t mean to pressure you guys to deliver your ports. I agree you should take your time to polish everything before releasing them to the public. The more polish the better.
On the other hand, Haiku users are thirsty for apps that bring the OS to a more useful (as far as an ordinary user concerns) state. People are eager to have that.
So keep doing whatever you guys are doing to make it come true.
Thank you so much.

4 Likes

thank you for your explanation @extrowerk

Calligra + KDiagram:

11 Likes

Impressive work!
Also maybe you have compiled new GoldenDict?

1 Like

I hope that Calligra works better on Haiku than on Linux.

2 Likes

Icons for Calligra and Krita:

12 Likes