KDE Frameworks 5 and KDE apps

Diver did a great job at porting the KDE Frameworks 5 to Haiku!

Now we have Calligra office and KolourPaint:

18 Likes

woow… it is sooo coool

1 Like

Absolutely awesome !!!
Really, you were doing an impressive work with the Qt libraries and now, with KDE. Brilliant! :medal:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just Great! Maybe Haiku it is undercover linux :wink:

Nope, until there would be created a system of the user rights management…

Very nice work, Diver! Come on, take a bow… :smile:

OpenJDK, Qt, KDE… the potential to run a huge amount of software keeps increasing.
When will KDE and Calligra hit the repo?

1 Like

If KDE runs then does that mean something like Firefox Quantum will be able too as well, in this KDE framework or is that a bridge to far??

1 Like

Krita 3.2.1

9 Likes

Yay! Krita! WANT!

There we can get this apps? Do you add them on the HaikuDepot?

1 Like

That truly is amazing work, Diver & 3dEye, you guy’s totally rock! I just hope with the genie being let out of the bottle that KDE (and QT for that matter), don’t overwhelm the number of native apps. I know I think about that whenever I turn to QT to find an app.

1 Like

You mean that small number of mostly outdated native apps? lol. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for more native software, but that shouldn’t stop anyone from porting and using cross-platform stuff and, you know, actually USING Haiku on day-to-day basis. If only there was more modern drivers…

Wow!!! This is good year :astonished: !!! :rocket: I Think in the wallpaper color white cube plan’e is yellow?)) :blush:
DioGen … Hi :), Native app’s - cool idea, coders and ather peoples :slight_smile: interest after do think about great idea Geek API :flushed: ))

Every good and useful software for the users is a good application for Haiku. It is completely no matter whether now native or not. If Haiku has useful software, users come and with the users we get any time native programs.

I find it very great then new frameworks on haiku ported, since thereby faster known programs on haiku to be available.

However, it would be important that the adapted resources of the framework and the programs remain available for later, so that other developers, if the old ones are no longer available, can also bring new versions to haiku without the expense of a completely new port.

Good work

3 Likes

Nice work. Is there any chance you could write a tutorial or blog post on the processes you went through to achieve this? It could be a useful guide for others to follow for similar projects.

2 Likes

Fantastic work! Thanks so much for helping bring another whole world of great apps to Haiku.

Brilliant work!!!

@3dEyes Where can we find all this work on the KDE Frameworks? Unless, is it directly upstream at the kde website as source code?

I don’t exactly agree on this, for two reasons.

First, porting the software which people can already use elsewhere does not make Haiku more interesting than other systems. We do need native apps to show what Haiku can do better.

Second, badly integrated ports are quite against what we try to achieve with Haiku, that is, a coherent system where everything just seemlessly blends in. Ported software which stands out too much (by behaving or looking slightly different from native software) easily ruins that experience.

That being said, the Qt port seems to go a long way towards looking and feeling like it is native thanks to 3deyes and Diver’s efforts. I look forward to see how far they manage to get it and wether they hit some limitations in Qt or not.

1 Like

So what parts of Qt have been ported over?
Will this include QtQuick or QML support?