KDE Frameworks 5 and KDE apps

This looks great, any idea when this will be hitting Depot?

1 Like

Yeah, I would like to know that too, very much. Or at least recipes in HaikuPorter, or something.

Awesome to see that the KDE framework also has been ported.

Love seeing that Telegram app icon on the desktop as well. I have more or less stopped using both Facebook Messenger and Google Hangouts in favour of Telegram.

Keep up the good work with QT and KDE, Haiku needs them next to native apps.

1 Like

I thought Telegram had GTK depends and that Cutegram was the only one that used Qt.

Brilliant work, great to see QT and KDE working! Is is very good for marketing. Let me try to explain why I think so:

I agree that porting software makes Haiku not better but it shows that a lot of them can be ported and are able to run on Haikuā€¦ but with restrictionsā€¦ not everything is working and some of them will be very, very slow without hardware renderingā€¦

Again: Haiku is able to handle such big software and programs! But without hardware rendering.
Which means: Native Haiku Apps will work better and faster even without hardware rendering.

It is a very good argument to say: Yes Haiku is not finished and ready now, but with more manpower and developer Haiku is able to do much more than it proves already now!

1 Like

I am pretty sure that Telegram is using Qt:

And from source code, it seems not to use GTK at all since 2 days ago:
https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop/tree/dev/.travis

Yes, but Qt Quick 2D Renderer used.
For example:

2 Likes

Telegram Desktop - Qt
Qutegram - QML

I agree that native applications are needed. But for native applications need native programmers.
I think for native office apps development needed a huge team and a lot of time and resources, but I want everything now! Porting large applications such as Calligra, Telegram, LibreOffice quite useful.

3 Likes

Krita 3.3.0:

5 Likes

The main-window Tab is still empty :frowning:

This is great stuff. Is there any particular component in Qt that doesnā€™t compile or has issues?
Also, when do you expect these libraries to be pushed upstream? Iā€™d love to try and compile some programs with this.

1 Like

Expecting native apps only on Haiku is too idealistic. People also want interopability between OSā€™s and their apps, and tinkerers want to see how far they can push their coding skills with cross-compiling and porting. Besides the use of virtual machines, examples include:

• MAC: WineBottler: MS Office port; MacOS ported to x86 platform as hackintosh
  • Linux: Wine; Linux ported to ARM platform
  • Windows: Cygwin; Wubi; coLinux; Linux OSā€™s running on AZURE cloud; Windows ported to ARM platform.

Although Wine doesnā€™t work for most Windows apps, when an app does work flawlessly it seems magical. And Just being able to claim that ā€œyou can run Windows apps on your favourate OSā€ is a huge drawcard to users.

1 Like

I totally agree with you. I need modern apps to be able to use Haiku and mot just test it once in a whileā€¦ It is also needed to attract developers and show how far Haiku has come as an OS.

1 Like

Zumi icons for Qt apps:

11 Likes

How is the progress with QupZilla? Right now a decent browser seems to be the only show-stopper for using Haiku on daily basisā€¦

2 Likes

Very niceā€¦ well doneā€¦ go on with your great workā€¦

1 Like

This is simply a fantastic work. I think good apps, like this suite, are always welcome, wether they are native or ported. Are they stable or crashy at this point?
Do you plan to release them as binary package or as recipes? Any idea of time?
Thank you for the time you have put into this project.

2 Likes

You are right. A working browser is still missing.

• WebPositive hangs very often
  • QupZilla on the other side runs stable, but can not play media (like YouTube videos) and there is only one font for the complete web. (a monospace one).

And Java on Linux have the problems, that all fonts are italic.

But @3dEyes: Good work. Thanks for all the libs and programs you port to Haiku.

@3dEyes Is there any way we can donate some cash as a thank you for all your work?

@PulkoMandy Is there any way Haiku Inc can provide a bit of cash as a thank you if they donā€™t already? Seems a little unfair tens of thousands were spent on ā€˜packaging improvementsā€™ when this unpaid work by 3dEyes has catapulted Haiku several years into the future (when it comes to available applications) in a few months.

1 Like