Just some icons

I take advantage of this thread, the use of the LOD allows you to optimize icons for low resolutions, but the current design of IOM does not allow you to see what is being done, it would be necessary that the editing view does not processes this information, and apply this only to the previews;

Perhaps I’m going to express a controversial opinion, I think it would be nice to be able to have a second icon BEOS:MINI_ICON with a simplified design only for resolutions <24px, I believe that in this case we should renounce the axonometric projection and drawing the icon with a flat design.

2 Likes

The download link doesn’t work, but I tried it directly and the resulting circle is indistinguishable from the default one. Just this detail made the resulting hvif 8 bytes smaller.
Great!

The boundary for the outline is something I learnt the hard way, after having to shrink more than one icon in a fairly advanced state, with the corresponding loss in sharpness, and then having to modify a lot of the paths to regain it.
Oh, how I would have liked to find posts like yours before!
Thank you for them!

1 Like

Really odd. I’ll try again, zipped this time
http://0x0.st/o0tb.zip

(Tried downloading it from Web+, also from Chrome in my Mac just to check, and it still didn’t work, but tried with Falkon and it downloaded just fine. Go figure.)

Thanks!
Now I can see that you also had the circle itself slightly bigger, aligned with the 32px grid.
In my tests from yesterday I just took the default circle path and aligned only the control handlers, that were pretty close to a 64px grid point:

… instead, by transforming the circle path to make the radius grow one pixel in the 32px grid as you do, the handlers that need to be aligned are already practically touching a grid point:

Good point! (pun intended!)

Even with the resulting hvif weighting the same either way, this way achieves an even more perfect virtually perfect circle.

You have given the drawing nerd in me a moment of joy :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Yes, that’s inconvenient, I think it will be great to have a row of previews of all the various sizes used throughout the system, not just three, at the top or bottom of the editing view, that also acted as toggles to select the resolution you need to see to work on in the editing area.

Yes, the standard circle in IOM is 16x16 px (in the 32 px grid), rescaling it to 18x18 and “freezing” its shape does the job as well, to save a few seconds I prefer to have this shape and color down ready as they are useful in most designs

A proposal for FileZilla
FileZilla_64
FileZilla_16

http://0x0.st/okwI.zip

19 Likes

I really like this icon, great job!

Looks good. I’ve added it to my latest PR in haikuports repo, see filezilla: x86 secondary arch, icon, set XDG dirs by davidkaroly · Pull Request #7521 · haikuports/haikuports · GitHub

3 Likes

Any ideas for an icon for ffmpegGUI?

Not so many… is there an official icon to take inspiration from?

This appears the ffmpeg icon: File:FFmpeg icon.svg - Wikimedia Commons

I have been working on a FFmpeg logo icon already.
Tried quickly slapping a mouse to see how that works to suggest the “GUI” concept.
Yeah, not very imaginative, I know, but maybe that sparks some idea?

FFmpeg GUI icon

9 Likes

Maybe this one without the mouse? Can you make one like that and attach it to the reference github issue?

2 Likes

I´m starting to think we should keep the mouse in the icon. It´s got the ffmpeg (commandline tool) logo and the mouse signaling that we are using a GUI, not the commandline. Does that make sense? :wink:

EDIT: I just read @Handmaus `s comment where he explains exactly this as his idea behind the logo

3 Likes

^ Exactly that ^

Thanks @BlueSky, yesterday I had a pretty exhausting day at work (arrived home past 1AM), and wasn’t able to respond until today.

This past days reworked the icon a bit, this is the last state of it:

Icon-O-Matic preview

I still have to give it a whirl or two, now that I’m seeing it with fresh eyes, the light part of the cord is a bit too present when in dark backgrounds at bigger sizes, and looks muddy in light backgrounds at small sizes.

Ah, BTW, I have discovered a trick that may be interesting to other icon creators:
It consists in dropping the icon file you’re working on in a new Launchbox pad to create a link there.
Then click in the link with the secondary mouse button,
contextual menu > Settings > Icon size.

It’s a bit cumbersome to change sizes, as there are no keyboard shortcuts to do it, but this way at least is possible to visualize the 20 and 24 px sizes (used in Deskbar most importantly) that aren’t available to see in Tracker, or any other place that I know of.
Also, it doesn’t update live every time you save a change, as Tracker does, LaunchBox needs to change size up or down to refresh the view. And you can’t view the icons against a dark background, (as you can, indeed, in Tracker, by invoking the Background add-on inside a window via Opt+Alt+B and selecting the image of your choice, there you have it, another trick :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), LaunchBox is always light grey.
Oh well.

7 Likes

I like this new version. The addition of the tab is a nice touch.

2 Likes

Nice work and nice tip, I’ll also leave one of mine: I’m used to open the icon I’m working on with diskprobe too, by opening the icon attribute I can see a preview of it and I usually set a size of 256 px to see how appears (saved changes are applied live), for lower resolutions I prefer the Magnify company, with its view locked where the mini icon preview is in IOM, so I can see especially if the outline is visible enough or is it just a blurry color

8 Likes

Sorry for the off-topic, but I have exactly that coffee maker :joy:

6 Likes

No problem, we all do this in our spare time.

Looks great, I like the yellow tab :slight_smile:

When you feel it’s ready please give us the file, or if you are comfortable with git and GitHub you can also add the icon to the rdef file (Icon-O-Matic has an export function for that).

1 Like