Is Haiku supposed to have better hardware support compared to Linux?

Does it also have better support for hardware compared to Linux?

Have there been bugs discovered in the Beta 1 release?

No. Linux has a much larger developer base, therefore has better hardware support.

Yes. Many bugs have been found since the beta release. Also, many have been squashed.

1 Like

I don’t get why most Linux distros lag on my PC, I have GTX 260, yeah sure it is old but WIndows runs much better on my PC compared to Linux. How come they don’t support it correctly for old hardware?

Is it released as nightly updates?

Most Linux distros use heavy desktop environments as default. If you want more agile system you must use lighter desktop (XFCE, LXDE, MATE).

1 Like

I did use MATE and XFCE still same slow sluggish performance when using web browsers and running a spinning obect in Godot made game within Godot game engine.

Only Devaun Linux seems to be the only one that runs nearly perfectly fine which is weird. Any idea what is going on?

Some drivers problems?..
But there are Linux forums on the net, you better ask there.
…Haiku not a Linux distro, you know?

1 Like

Is Haiku a Unix-like OS?

Linux is fat and bloated like Jabba the Hutt. Have you ever seen Jabba the Hutt move fast? I don’t think so.

2 Likes

Haiku is Haiku. It’s a BeOS-like OS. It’s posix compliant, so it’s UNIX-like in a distant cousin sort of way.

6 Likes

Damn I never realised that, I thought it was supposed to be really powerful and much better than Windows.

One other question about Haiku, does it have a swapfile that dynamically increases and decreases, like Windows does?

I’d say if you want a more agile system, you should forget about desktop environments altogether. Look at windowing managers instead.

1 Like

If Linux is like Jabba the Hutt, then Windows is like Jabba the Hutt on an Eric Cartman beefcake diet.

2 Likes

User here is probably not having nvidia propietary drivers and going software rendering (also not having hardware acceleration on the browser, triggering more cpu usage), and having a default desktop with composition and all that jazz.

I always had my distros working much faster than any Windows that I put on it, with the latter becoming slower the more I use it.

Also, having a 2008ish nvidia card probably means that the system may have low ram amount (i.e 2GB), and be paging (os wont help here).

OP could give haiku a try anyway, to see how it goes in that hardware tho :stuck_out_tongue:

Even with nVidia drivers while it does improve performance, there are still issues. on Windows it runs fine even without nVidia drivers.

Is there a live preview on it?

What kind of crap is that.

I’m using various Linux-es on different systems (at work and at home) besides Windows and Mac machines and Linux outperforms Windows and Mac any time any day. The key part on Linux is “modifiability”. It works better on older hardware because Windows doesn’t care for older hardware while Linux retains old drivers. This might be why some people here call it “bloated”. Sorry… Windows is bloated but not Linux… Linux is modifiable).

Haiku is faster because it is configured from the ground up for this purpose. The default Linux distros are configured by default with KDE and alike DEs so “Windows fanboys” don’t feel right out alienated when switching over. Not that I’m happy with that choice but good thing is I’m not forced to use this choice. With the right DE and applications installed Linux runs great on anything. Heck I even run it well on weak embedded hardware for one project.

See that is what I don’t understand. I have had the correct nVidia drivers installed while it improves performance it still lags, I don’t understand why is this happening. Only Devaun Linux was the only distro that actually worked fine without nVIdia drivers when I tested it in a live session mode. Do you know what is going on?

I did install MATE, OpenBox and XFCE still same issues makes no difference I just don’t get what is going wrong.

You can use the beta ISO (or latest nightly for more updated release) and use it as a live system to test on… your system.

May fail or may work depending on hardware.

What bootloader does it come with if I want to install it on actual hardware and set up a dual boot system, I want to know if it comes with something that supports Windows and Haiku?

More details than I could give:

https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/installation-guide/

Thanks for that.