So there’s a lot to reply to here…
Well… I got in to it and learned a lot about it. I’m not an expert anymore as I’ve forgotten more than I probably remember.
From what I recall, it was a lot like BFS, but with compression, and the file attributes in tracker were broken on the builds I used.
If you used CFS it probably halved the install size of your build. That much I remember. Then Crushing saved a load of space.
Binder was def in the later builds. Certainly BeIA 2.x had it. I think it was in the earlier too… like you can embed exes in web pages and stuff like that and I tink that was achieven using some of the Binder functionality.
Expediency. Opera developed the browser for them. The Mozilla port was terrible at that point. This was back when the BeAPI made porting legacy code a terrible chore.
There were loads of devices. Some of which you will have heard of but assumed another OS was the only that ever graced the hardware. The Clipper, the IA, The Audry, the DT range of webpads (Dt300, DT325 for sure), and a fridge - there was a fridge concept.
The eVilla was terrible hardware because the tube was on its side and all the text and graphics needed to be rendered in rotated form … I kid you not.