Imagining BeIA-like concept in 2020

Okay - I can try to build you an image. I can look at recovery too.

So, this is as far as I have managed to get:

It gets as far as “booting stinger…” and then seems to hang so far after it loads the boot loader. I managed to hit space and get in to the BeOS style boot menu. I turned on console debugging and it gets this far and reboots:

Ah, so I found this : BeIA Wiki from be its.com most of which I wrote back in the day. So, yeah, I’ll be re reading this to see what I’ve forgotten. I seem to have even written how to make builds!

5 Likes

Reading through this: It’s nuts! Theres one immediate simple reason why you cant easily add more software to such a crushed image without re-crushing it - the crushing process removes any external symbols that are unused. So any unused API functions are removed so you can’t add any software that needs one. But it also isn’t clear if the dictionaries they are building are across multiple binaries, if so then they would need to rebuild the dictionaries ever time you add a binary to the system.

Some of these techniques look like they would apply very well to malware identification and binary differencing and other related problems. I wonder if the patent is still active…

@Munchausen Yeah, that is the issue. I have, for example, the soft keyboard. But only a crushed version. So to use it you need to use the same dictionary otherwise it doesn’t work. Also, if you add too much new exes, it often didn’t work.

I think PCem might work with tweaking. Looking at the faqs it does seem to support similar hardware to the natsemi geodes used in most BeIA devices.

I think, a good idea can be use a virtual desktop only for replicants, and get there with a quick shortcut, to see easily these replicants info and back to the workspace when you unpress that shortcut maybe, just as a way to visualize speedly.

Okay - it turned out that when I created a new profile in PCEM it defaulted everything back ti silly settings. I set S3 Virge, Mobile Pentium 266 MMX and soundblaster 16 and BeIA booted to Wagner!! Please ignore all referenced to R4.5. It seems like the BeIA source was forked from R4.5 before R5.0, and so the OS uses the R4.5 bootloader and boot process on PC hardware. There is another zbeos that boots using a BeIA logo, but IIRC getting that to work on standard hardware was tough. Now emulation exists, it might be easier I guess :wink:

beia-demo

And alt_Q gets to the BeIA desktop:

This is the about screen:

The only apps installed are bterm, StyledEdit, Wagner and DriveSetup. Bterm is just a terminal emulator and is really basic compared to Terminal…

It doesn’t look like this version of BeIA has Binder… or at least, Binder is not running in the desktop.

EDIT Here is a better overview video I just threw together.

11 Likes

Okay - so I’m spent a couple of hours and I managed to get the sound to work using the sb16 driver in BeIA. I have had no luck getting the networking to start, as the device seems to be dead set on using ppp. I’ll probably need to dig in to the startup scripts to work out where the networking is kicked off. I think if I can get it to switch, it should work. The NE2000 driver exist in PCem and works with R5.03.

As an aside, I dug up my old R4.5 disc and pulled off a bunch of apps. It’s a bit hit or miss, but a lot of them seem to more or less work. Minesweeper, BeLogo, Mandlebrot, Chart, FlightSim al seem to run. I got DiskProbe to work too. The issue is mainly missing symbols though. None of the pref panes work, which scuppers using them to configure the networking. I might install R4.5 in PCem and compare the file systems to see where it stores the networking prefs, other that the network and Network_Prefs files in config under Home.

5 Likes

So - no, Haiku is not going to play nicely with the BeIA SDK. I think I need a version of Haiku that doesn’t used the packaging system with readonly filesystem… because, the SDK installer expects to be able to write to the file system where ever it likes, and the developer packages need to be unpacked on the root file system.

Try Alpha 4.1

As is Haiku Alpha 4.1 or a tool called by that name? I remember someone had a script that unpacked everything, but I haven’t managed to find that thread again.

What format this SDK installer in? Is it SoftwareValet .pkg or something else?

AFAIK you can do it manually:

1. Copy your /system folder to another bfs partition
  2. Delete everything in system/packages you copied except for haiku_loader hpkg
  3. Boot from this new partition

@Diver there are a number of packages. One is a Software Valet package file, but the rest are zip files that need to be unzipped on the root file system to unpack properly

It is the last version before packagemanagement added. It is like beos, all folders like beos and many old apps are running.

2 Likes

That the filesystem is now broken so horribly in Haiku makes be quite annoyed. Most glass elevator type ideas have gotten rejected over the years for similar bad choices and or just being too different it’s a shame nobody listened to the voice in the head saying no this is a bad way to do things.

Id even argue that the current packagefs setup is WORSE than what NT5+ does with UAC.

What ideas exactly?

Mentally healthy people don’t hear voice in the head.

What is wrong in UAC?

If you are just going to nitpick why did you bother posting… UAC broke alot of things one windows XP and 7 and continues to do so on Windows 10 (new applications just work around it). There is a whole archived email list about the glass elevator if you can’t be bothered to read it I can’t be bothered to repeat anything here.

That’s nonsense or do you read everthing aloud… and think aloud wow!

Now I dare you not to post any further off topic nonsense in this thread.

Actually i hear my own voice in my head while thinking. But i never said i am sane.

3 Likes

I don’t think /boot/system existed in BeOS, right? So what are the .zips trying to do here that would run into packagefs folders?

boot/beos/system in beos is correct

And it is writeable.

1 Like

Beos are writeable in every folder

1 Like