Icon view in file manager

i noticed that the file manager shows files and folders in list mode by default. i know i can switch to grid view (which i like the most) but everytime i close the file manager it reverts back to the list view. any way to make the file manager remember that, and maybe even the size of the icons?

What you mean with filemanager?

well, tracker?the file browser?“this pc” in windows and “nautilus, dolphin, etc etc” in linux

Tracker remembers last view setting for each folder individually.

and there’s no way to set it globally?

What do you mean by “close the file manager”? The Tracker is not normally ever closed (except when you switch the machine off, of course). As Damoklas says, it remembers the settings for each individual folder (even through a reboot). What you may be looking at is the system – read only – folders. As you can’t reset the attributes on these, they will only keep the selected format as long as they are open (and the machine is running).

That you can’t set a default choice in the Tracker settings seems to me to be an omission. Maybe make an enhancement suggestion in the bug tracker?

1 Like

That is known to happen for the system directory due to read-only issues.

The state of every Tracker window (icon size, shown columns, sort order, window size etc.) is saved individually in file attributes of each folder. That’s why it doesn’t work for the read-only folders of the system or read-only filesystems, as others pointed out.

Newly created folders appear as set with the /boot/home/config/settings/Tracker/DefaultFolderTemplate.

1 Like

i mean that, if i open the file manager and i then set “grid view” i expect all my folders are then in grid view even when i reboot/turn off the machine, as every other operating system does…

Haiku’s Tracker against such dictatorship.

maybe, but this seems nonsense to me…

Sense of this is that, that if you have some folder with some arranged content in that folder, it is not a cupboard’s concern how that is done there.

1 Like

You’re still not talking Haiku Talk… :grinning: I have never “opened the file manager” in all my time with Haiku! I boot the machine, and there are all my folder windows – just as I left them! (Which is why I consider the Tracker way superior to other OS’s managers…)

And, going over to my Mint partition to play, if I open a file manager window and change the display mode, the change only applies to that folder, just as in Haiku. (It doesn’t even apply to that window; if I click down to another folder, that displays in the default mode.

If you mean ‘open the filemanager settings’, yes there is an option to set the default there in Mint.

You learn something new every day…:slight_smile: I never knew that.

…Except it doesn’t work for me! My default is list view, so I went to the DefaultFolderTemplate folder and changed the menu setting to icon view. Then I created a new folder (in /boot/home/TEMP – my play folder) and created/moved some new files there. They’re still in list view! Haven’t tried rebooting, but I hope I don’t have to do that!

Works here. Make sure you close the DefaultFolderTemplate folder after doing your changess to have its attributes updated.

This works if you create the directory with Tracker (right click > new folder or so), but not with mkdir on the command line, I guess?

Works with mkdir as well. I expect that Tracker will grab the attributes of the “DefaultFolderTemplate” folder if it finds no attributes.

Where it doesn’t work, and what’s a bit annoying, is when mounting foreign file systems. Then the DefaultFolderTemplate is ignored and the window size of a folder from my ext3 Linux partition, for example, is way too small…

and that’s i agree a neat feature, but really that list viev is way too small, one will became blind reading that, and that’s why tracker should have a global setting, to not setting everything for every single folder…

This can be useful to understand why it works in this way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_file_manager

You can always increase the font size in Appearance.

For the sake of completeness what you want is a “Navigational file manager”.

well you can take the aiga file manager as example which as a similar structure but it work as i say… :slight_smile: