Icon view in file manager

Nope. It will not work for me! By default on my system, new folders seem to be created in List View. I go to /boot/home/config/settings/Tracker/DefaultFolderTemplate, and see that it is indeed set to List View. I change it to Icon View, close the Window (and for good measure close the Tracker settings window), and create a new folder in /boot/home. It opens in List View! Same for a new folder created anywhere else. No different after a reboot.

With one exception! If I create the folder on the Desktop, it opens in the mode specified by DefaultFolderTemplate. And any subfolders of that also are created with the specified mode. Nowhere else.

Heh. Guess where I did my folder experiments…? :wink:

You’re right, and I now dimly remember it: new folders usually inherit their parent folder’s attributes. Which often is quite useful, for example when creating folders to sort emails into. Then you just configure the parent folder how you like it (e.g. Email attribute columns) and all child folders inherit that.

A solution to avoid that parent-inheritance is to create the folders you need in "/boot/home/config/settings/Tracker/Tracker New Templates".
You could name one e.g. “Icon 48px folder” (Icon view with 48px icons) , another “Email folder” (List view with the ususal email attibutes), another “Name-only folder” (List view with only the Name attribute column), etc.
Then you can create those specific folders from Tracker’s “New” menu like any other document and only use the “New folder” menu item to create a folder with its parent’s attributes.

Gaahhh… This is still not quite what I’m seeing, but describing it is even harder! :confused: As far as I can tell, a folder created on the Desktop becomes a template for all its subfolders. E.g. if I set the Tracker template to ‘Icon View’, a created Desktop folder will also be Icon View, and any subfolders I make within that will also be Icon. This stays even if I then move the base folder to home or somewhere. However, if I then change the view mode of the base folder, and then create another new subfolder, the new one still gets set to Icon! (Even if I also change the Tracker template.) The memory for that default seems to be permanent.

I tried your suggestion of putting a 48px template folder in ‘Tracker/Tracker New Templates’ and that works well. Good idea. However, I just noticed that if I create a folder in my old test Icon View (32px) folder, that is now also 48px!!!

As I said…Gaaahh!!!

ADDENDUM: Some quick playing in BeOS R5 shows exactly the same phenomena! Some quirks go back a long way… (In this case via OpenTracker, I guess. One of the bits of Haiku not “clean room”.)