How to install Haiku to USB Flash Drive from Windows

thank you, I will post the photos as soon as possible… I’m a little bit busy in the university.
But i noted that with a different usb pen drive the error code change

Hi I’d like to inform that with the last raw 28633 haiku boot properly on my msi wind!!! thank you!

edit: i tried to edit this post but it changed position :frowning:

Haiku boots on MSI Wind? Cool can you list what hw is working?

I have an original msi wind u100, just added another 1 gb of ram.
haiku boots correctly, lan, backlight buttons (FN), and touchpad (no scrolling) works.
The other things like wifi, bluetooth, FN buttons, audio don’t work yet!

audio doesn’t work huh, hmm too bad. Maybe there is an audio drive but it is GPL so you’ll have to build Haiku yourself and set the building of GPL addons to true / 1 if that’s the case.

I see no GPL audio drivers listed in the HaikuImage Jamfile - so I suspect this won’t matter.

Probably the most likely solution would be to add OpenSound to the image and see if that works with the specific audio hardware in the MSI Wind (what is the chipset anyway?)

the audio chipset is an ALC888S by realtek, based on ALC880 chipset family.

HDA from Realtek should runing from OSS. It at me work nice :wink:

Hi,
my system is: ASROCK AOD790GX/128M motherboard, PHENOM 9950 cpu.
I too can reach the fourth icon and then get kernel panic with:
“did not find any boot paritions”

Please press lot of times the Space bar before the Haiku logo shows up. It will open the boot options, and try boot the Haiku with Safe mode on.

No it didn’t work.
I first checked the “disable DMA”. It failed with the same message.
Then I checked “Safe mode”. The same.
And lastly I checked everything. More of the same.
If there’s something else you would want me to try, I’d be happy to help.

Did You test in another USB port? I have 8 USB, but the first can’t boot Haiku (maybe now can, but i never use this port more (it works in windows)).

Thanks!

I don’t know why but flashnul have some error durning create usb key. This looks so: like create sdc1 instead of sdc on example. Where from such conclusions? I use dd from linuks, and mistake was put in way, I write sdc1 and I have “Failed to load OS” when I write sdc Haiku booting correctly from USB.
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3413

BTW. Often instead of to look for in settings USB, look to order boot HDD from inserted USB flash, he should appear on list and give him on first place.

I found this is the easiest way for me to install to a flash drive, and it keeps things up to date. Its also a little bit safer as you can’t get to your Windows hd.

-Get VMWare Player, and blank VMWare disk images(try google)
-Use it to install some linux distro, I used debian.
(Here is a great resource on VMWare config files http://sanbarrow.com/vmx.html)
-Make sure you linux VM has USB support in it.

Once you have booted your linux VM
-Download Haiku from svn, there is a great post on building on Ubuntu.
(http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/building_haiku_on_ubuntu_linux_step_by_step Thanks Ryan Leavengood)
-Edit the UserBuildConfig file in the build/jam folder to have the image be ‘sda’ in folder ‘/dev’ (may be different depending on which name your usb stick has)
-Run jam as it is described in the Ubuntu step by step.

The USB stick now has a bootable image on it. I tried it on my Dell Latitude d630, it loads but the os crashes before the bootloader is done. My wife’s dell Inspiron 700m boots just fine though.

I have also used this to build a 20g VMWare disk image.

For those Vista users, who not have opportunity to write Haiku RAW image to USB Flash with flashnul (because of “write error: access refused”) or “Haiku On A Stick” utility, now may to try application called <a href=http://www.alexpage.de/?page_id=41>USB Image Tool. I’ve successfully load RAW image to my Transcend USB JetFlash 150. Haiku is booted up and run from USB 2.0 pretty fast and stable.

It is possible that this is help to someone else…

I’ve noticed that some people were running into booting issues… one thing that I wanted to point out that helps to keep in mind is that you should plug in the USB drive before you turn the system on… This how-to worked for me when I prepared a flash drive for Haiku to boot on my Aspire One. I tried plugging in the drive after the system turned on and went into the BIOS. I set it to boot from USB HHD. It didn’t like this. When I rebooted and went into the BIOS again (leaving the thumbdrive in the USB port the entire time), I saw a new option under my boot menu for that -specific- thumbdrive. It mentioned it by vendor name.

Not all BIOSes are the same, obviously, but it may help to make sure you have the thumbdrive plugged in before you power on the system and then arrange the boot order… making sure that the BIOS is aware of the thumbdrive before setup opens.

To make matters more confusing, on my Aspire One, when I used a different thumbdrive to boot Haiku (one that was faster than the 512MB I first tried)… I had to repeat this entire process because the other thumbdrive had a different product name as recognized by the BIOS. That ended up becoming a new entry for me to have to raise to the #1 spot for Boot Order in BIOS.

Will this work on drives over 2GB? My computer has no problem booting from USB (I used to do this when I carried my desktop with me via good ole linux), but I only have 4GB sticks at the time, and I want to know if it will work.

Also, will it work off of CF cards?

Will this work on drives over 2GB? My computer has no problem booting from USB (I used to do this when I carried my desktop with me via good ole linux), but I only have 4GB sticks at the time, and I want to know if it will work.

Also, will it work off of CF cards?

THANKS VADIM!!

Your solution help me a lot!!!

But…

In the boot, I was surprised by the follow message:

PANIC: could not mount boot device!

Welcome to Kernel Debugging Land…
Thread 12 “main2” running on CPU 0

kdebug>

My motherboard is a M2N-MX SE

any suggestion?

[quote=michaelvoliveira]THANKS VADIM!!

Your solution help me a lot!!!

But…

In the boot, I was surprised by the follow message:

PANIC: could not mount boot device!

Welcome to Kernel Debugging Land…
Thread 12 “main2” running on CPU 0

kdebug>

My motherboard is a M2N-MX SE

any suggestion?
[/quote]

When in the Kernel Debugging Land, could you enter “sc”?

Also while haiku is just starting to boot, you can press the space bar where you can enable on screen logging, so you can see more info on what is happening.