How about a Haiku "approved" motherboard?

Any chance we can ever see a Haiku approved motherboard? One thing I don’t like much is the guessing game trying to find a suitable Haiku PC. Would be sweet if say once a year the Haiku team could put out a note of a somewhat new and current motherboard that once could buy that has been tested and approved for Haiku use. Would attract more people to Haiku I bet. I myself don’t have deep enough pockets to keep guessing and buying motherboards and CPUs in hopes one finally works. And, I really want a Haiku based system too. My 1st two attempts trying my Intel based Macs failed so a bit timid on spending lots of money on something that may not work. And yes, I see and know about the hardware list but it is mostly outdated systems that you can’t buy anymore. So, any chance we could ever see something like this. “Approved” motherboard and CPU that is newly out within last few months and is confirmed to work with Haiku?

Thanks

tj

http://haikuware.com/hardware/

there ya go, a list of functional hardware, theres a few modern board there as well.

As noted in my question, I know about that link. There is very little there. One fairly promising board posted mid summer 2010 is the closest but even that one is no longer made from my search and is an older board. Plus a few notes I read elsewhere on this particular board is decent but seemed to have a bad ratio of bad boards and they get statically shocked more easily that others. Does not seem a real good contender for me.

What I am asking here is something more official. Not that Joe Plumber has a 1 year old board no longer available for sale and it worked for him. Would think it is a good idea to have an approved board by the Haiku team on a regular basis so those of us like me can more easily buy a system with best chances it will work well. Maybe every 6 months have a board that has been tested by someone in the team and gets the “stamp of approval” as a go to board.

Would love to see Haiku get more recognition as a nice OS to get into and support versus other open source OSs out there. Obviously there are ton more developers in the Linux world so much greater odds one can buy any modern motherboard and CPU and good chance Linux will install and work. With Haiku, I am not sensing this. At least with mine, 2 systems between 3 years and 4 months old, both Intel based, failed to run Haiku.

I am not an Amiga user at the moment but like the fast that platform still has a motherboard or 2 that one can buy and have known good success of using their OS of choice. Not saying Haiku needs to build a motherboard but endorse motherboards that work with their OS so less chances of failure installing and using it.

Would get real old buying boards and it keep failing and turn would be users away to other pastures.

Heck, have everyone here donate $5 to $10 to buy one of the Haiku team a new motherboard and CPU combo and have them test it, etc… Then when done raffle off the board so someone can buy it so no one is out of much money at all. Gives us a known platform all the time to run from rather than all this guesswork at what will and won’t work.

tj

[quote=tonestone57][quote=thatguy]http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-zbox-zbox-id37dvd-plus-u-intel-atom-d525-1-8-ghz-dual-core-mini-pc.html

the n10 chipset stuff should be fine, in fact there was a 2d video driver fix recently that should have it working really well.[/quote]

I would not go for the one linked above because:

1. Nvidia ION graphics (would only work with VESA driver); best to get with Intel graphics to get Intel 2D driver support in Haiku. Unless you intend to use other OSes which can actually use the Nvidia card. (ie: Windows would get HD decoding with ION & so playing Flash would take way less CPU).

2. SO-DIMM (laptop memory). Smaller size but may cost you more for upgrading. You may or may not care about cost.

3. 2 x USB3, 1 x USB2. Haiku does not have USB3 driver so I think those ports would not get used.

4. Says 1 SATA connector which seems weird. My Atom 330 came with 2 SATA ports + 1 PATA.

5. I believe the D510 (& D525) has an issue with HDA driver. You may have to try with OpenSound (or another sound card in PCI slot; SB Live).
    http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/6213

I have the older Atom 330 so I can only really comment on that board.

EDIT: Sound may not work.[/quote]

I saw n10 and figured it had IGP.

sorry about that.

I agree x 50. hehehe.

I really feel for Haiku to be 100% successful, they need to have some locked down systems that just work, are not years old tech, and that have that stamp of approval that they work. Even Amiga platform has that. I can go buy a Sam based board that I know is not screaming fast but will for sure run their Amiga OS 4.x, etc… Right now it is like a crap shoot trying to just find a system I can use Haiku on. Most people will lose interest in that real fast. I am stubborn so might find the right match but folks, IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS DIFFICULT. :sunglasses:

I was excited yesterday about the Atom based systems but I am in the same boat today I really can’t find a for sure Atom based system that works on all cylinders. This means video, sound, etc… I digg the Zotac I linked to and it seems like everyone and their mother has this sweet little ITX based Atom systems for sale at nice prices. But, there is still no way to know how and what will work. I see if I buy an older Intel 330 I should get sound and such but the newer D510 does not have sound.

Has to be a better way.

Heck, maybe we can all donate a few dollars for them to buy a current year computer and the Haiku team can test, give a seal of approval, and then we can all have at least one system a year to buy or upgrade to. Keep this going so there is always a approved modern system known to work.

Just some ideas.

tj

Well, thatguy has told you that Haiku does not work on his wife’s AMD 760G.
I did test with a 760g chipset board and a phenom 9550 today. It hangs up on IRQ issues. I would call the 7xx chipsets a no go.

Also, AMD 790FX does not seem to work either:
http://haikuware.com/details/k9a2-platinum

That points to an AMD chipset issue with Haiku!!! It affects the 7xx series boards and good chance it could affect 6xx and 8xx also! I don’t think there are any Intel (or Nvidia) chipset issues to worry about.

thatguy also said Haiku works on his Asus (Geforce 8300 chipset) with Phenom_II 6 core.
“M4n78pro ASUS Geforce 8300 chipset, everything works except for video mode setting”

It also works on my Atom 330 and newer Atom systems & has working graphics driver for these systems in Haiku (to set proper resolution). The OS also works on my Dell Core i3 laptop.

Why not get low-cost Atom system? Real cheap, low power & very compact & portable (mini-ITX).
Dual core Atom negatives:

1. Ok for single threaded performance and real good multithreaded (SMP).
  2. Weak graphics card - not good for Flash, HD decoding or 3D stuff (like 3D gaming) but very good for everything else

Or get core2 duo, core i3, core i5, core i7 because others have used these, with Intel chipset mobos, with Haiku. Stay away from AMD chipset boards to reduce the risk of Haiku not working for you!!! Go Intel or Nvidia chipsets & you should pretty well be Ok. I am fairly sure the main developers use core2 or core iX systems on Intel chipsets.

PS, the problem is you want to get an AMD 7xx or 8xx board and hope it’ll work with Haiku but that is NOT going to happen until that non-booting/freezing bug is fixed first.

[quote=tonestone57]Well, thatguy has told you that Haiku does not work on his wife’s AMD 760G.
I did test with a 760g chipset board and a phenom 9550 today. It hangs up on IRQ issues. I would call the 7xx chipsets a no go.

Also, AMD 790FX does not seem to work either:
http://haikuware.com/details/k9a2-platinum

That points to an AMD chipset issue with Haiku!!! It affects the 7xx series boards and good chance it could affect 6xx and 8xx also! I don’t think there are any Intel (or Nvidia) chipset issues to worry about.

thatguy also said Haiku works on his Asus (Geforce 8300 chipset) with Phenom_II 6 core.
“M4n78pro ASUS Geforce 8300 chipset, everything works except for video mode setting”

It also works on my Atom 330 and newer Atom systems & has working graphics driver for these systems in Haiku (to set proper resolution). The OS also works on my Dell Core i3 laptop.

Why not get low-cost Atom system? Real cheap, low power & very compact & portable (mini-ITX).
Dual core Atom negatives:

1. Ok for single threaded performance and real good multithreaded (SMP).
  2. Weak graphics card - not good for Flash, HD decoding or 3D stuff (like 3D gaming) but very good for everything else

Or get core2 duo, core i3, core i5, core i7 because others have used these, with Intel chipset mobos, with Haiku. Stay away from AMD chipset boards to reduce the risk of Haiku not working for you!!! Go Intel or Nvidia chipsets & you should pretty well be Ok. I am fairly sure the main developers use core2 or core iX systems on Intel chipsets.

PS, the problem is you want to get an AMD 7xx or 8xx board and hope it’ll work with Haiku but that is NOT going to happen until that non-booting/freezing bug is fixed first.[/quote]

Haiku is also spontaneously pissy with certain dual cpu implementations of the old 440x intel chipset on dual and single cpu P3 boards for whatever reason. I have tried a few and had 10 work and 2 not work.

go figure.

BTW tonestone I have a spare am2+ 7xx chipset board hanging around I would gladly ship to a devs if they have a compatiable am2 or am3 socket cpu.

How about these nice small Zotac atom based PCs? Dual 1.8ghz.

http://www.zotacusa.com/products/mini-pcs

Tj

[quote=macsociety]How about these nice small Zotac atom based PCs? Dual 1.8ghz.

http://www.zotacusa.com/products/mini-pcs

Tj[/quote]

http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-zbox-zbox-id37dvd-plus-u-intel-atom-d525-1-8-ghz-dual-core-mini-pc.html

the n10 chipset stuff should be fine, in fact there was a 2d video driver fix recently that should have it working really well.

Actually the Digital Storm Enix is what I was tempted to get. i7 based but I think it is Sandy Bridge and USB 3 based so scared me off thinking not going to work with Haiku. Love the design of the system.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/compblackops.asp

Tj

Will sound be fine also with the Zotac based systems? PC with no sound would be useless. Tj

I would like to see something like this also. I am more then willing to accept limited driver support. But trying to find a mobo, that is actually available to purchase is like playing Russian Roulette. There have been some people in the Aros camp that have started offering tested Aros Compatible systems. Maybe some enterprising person can do the same or similar for Haiku.

“BTW tonestone I have a spare am2+ 7xx chipset board hanging around I would gladly ship to a devs if they have a compatiable am2 or am3 socket cpu.”

You have to post to general or developer list. Or contact Axel or Ingo and ask them directly because they know Haiku code the best. Or look for similar tickets and see which developer they are assigned to and leave a comment on the ticket.
http://dev.haiku-os.org

[quote=thatguy]http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-zbox-zbox-id37dvd-plus-u-intel-atom-d525-1-8-ghz-dual-core-mini-pc.html

the n10 chipset stuff should be fine, in fact there was a 2d video driver fix recently that should have it working really well.[/quote]

I would not go for the one linked above because:

1. Nvidia ION graphics (would only work with VESA driver); best to get with Intel graphics to get Intel 2D driver support in Haiku. Unless you intend to use other OSes which can actually use the Nvidia card. (ie: Windows would get HD decoding with ION & so playing Flash would take way less CPU).

2. SO-DIMM (laptop memory). Smaller size but may cost you more for upgrading. You may or may not care about cost.

3. 2 x USB3, 1 x USB2. Haiku does not have USB3 driver so I think those ports would not get used.

4. Says 1 SATA connector which seems weird. My Atom 330 came with 2 SATA ports + 1 PATA.

5. I believe the D510 (& D525) has an issue with HDA driver. You may have to try with OpenSound (or another sound card in PCI slot; SB Live).
    http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/6213

I have the older Atom 330 so I can only really comment on that board.

EDIT: Sound may not work.

Even the Be, Inc. web site of old had a compatibility list. Granted there was only certain PPC Macs that worked that they tested but still, a list that helped a buyer know what kind of chance they have to run the OS.

Even if we can’t buy one of each PC available , how about a Official List from the Haiku Team of systems that the team looked at the web sites of various PC providers and per the tech information on said computer or motherboard, they ca state “X.XXXX” item has good chance of working at least per the specs. Takes the MAJOR guessing game out for the end-user like me that wants to use Haiku but really limited on tech requirements needed.

You don’t need to do this for all PCs but here is an example.

Take a few Atom based PC providers for a starting point, visit their web site, see what systems of any they sell today could be a possible Haiku candidate, and make a quick metrics that shows model and who sells it so at least we have a shooting chance of buying something that just works. We will understand if it does not as they are untested, but at least this will give us better odds.

So, start with a few Atom systems. Then get a few major manufacturers of motherboards and see what CPU and Board makes a good possible setup. Then we can all follow these lists with some better chance of success.

Otherwise, I feel all the Haiku team is doing is getting a few Technogeeks to try it but no everyday user that many of us are.

I know Macs real well, and provide tech services in them, but have not much knowledge of building a PC or even buying one that can be a good fit for Haiku. There are tons of people like me that can build onto the Haiku membership and maybe even one day being a great advocate.

Think outside of the box is all we ask. :sunglasses: Be sure did back in the day!

tj

"I can go buy a Sam based board that I know is not screaming fast but will for sure run their Amiga OS 4.x, etc…"
That’s because AmigaOS only supports very limited new hardware like the Sam440. So, you’ll know it’ll work. Same with MorphOS 1.4 which worked only on some PowerUP Amigas and Pegasus 1 & 2. MorphOS 2.x added and improving Efika & G4 Mac support.

"Right now it is like a crap shoot trying to just find a system I can use Haiku on."
Yes, somewhat hard but most systems are supported (will boot Haiku) if you go Intel & Geforce chipset motherboards. Good chance sound may work. Ok to good chance that WiFi will work.

"I was excited yesterday about the Atom based systems but I am in the same boat today I really can’t find a for sure Atom based system that works on all cylinders.
The issue is a bug in HDA driver that affects newer Atom systems D510 (& D525?). Either a resource conflict or initialize issue with HDA. Driver there but not working right. So, you either stuck trying OpenSound, putting in different, supported PCI sound card or going without sound on newer Atom.

Atom 330 with Intel chipset is fully working. You’ll get 2D Intel driver. Sound. Wired network.

"Has to be a better way."
Yes. A Haiku supported driver + hardware matrix similar to one found on Haikuware would be very helpful but you still need users to input their hardware to it. Saying what works and what doesn’t. Otherwise, people have to play the guessing game and hopefully they have or buy a compatible Haiku system.

Most important is testing integrated motherboards with different chipsets & versions.

I’ve always thought that haiku is perfect for low power systems such as Intel Atom based systems. As such, I tried it with an Atom based mobo as soon as I got my hands on one. I have since tried it on the latest incarnation of Intel’s dual core mobo and outlined my observations here. Seems like the Intel brand Atom mobos would be as good as any for ‘Haiku “approved” motherboard’ status.

Alan

So 6foot3, the Intel Atom 525 Motherboard did fine for you with all sound and video. That s good news. I wonder if any of the PC makers use that Motherboard as part of their small PC systems. I would rather buy one ready to use versus build one right now as I am busy with work to do that much tinkering,

tj

I'd bet its doable with Haiku.
Not at the moment. Even the newest 525MVW chokes on the fast action scenes of a couple of HD videos I've tried. Maybe some time in the future when/if 2D accelerated graphics in the Intel extreme driver is tweaked/optimised some more. Even then, maybe not since I guess the processing/data throughput requirements for fast action HD video must be truly demanding.

Alan

I’ve bought all my Atom based mini systems from mitxpc.com . This page lists their “quiet” systems and has 3 Intel 525MW based systems starting from about $200 for a bare-bones system. You can even have them ship with Windows 7 pre-installed if you want to pay the extra $. Not only are these systems cheap to buy, they are real power misers as well. This Atom D330 based system I’m using only consumes 33W for the cpu only and 65W with the DSL modem, monitor and speakers all going. The newer 525MWV based systems should shave another 5W off that at least.

Alan

P.S. These mobos will NOT play HD video (1080p) well because of their below par graphics capabilities which is a bit of a drag. This rules them out as HTPCs.