How about a Haiku "approved" motherboard?

[quote=6foot3]I’ve bought all my Atom based mini systems from mitxpc.com . This page lists their “quiet” systems and has 3 Intel 525MW based systems starting from about $200 for a bare-bones system. You can even have them ship with Windows 7 pre-installed if you want to pay the extra $. Not only are these systems cheap to buy, they are real power misers as well. This Atom D330 based system I’m using only consumes 33W for the cpu only and 65W with the DSL modem, monitor and speakers all going. The newer 525MWV based systems should shave another 5W off that at least.

Alan

P.S. These mobos will NOT play HD video (1080p) well because of their below par graphics capabilities which is a bit of a drag. This rules them out as HTPCs.[/quote]

I’d bet its doable with Haiku.

[quote=6foot3]

I’d bet its doable with Haiku.
Not at the moment. Even the newest 525MVW chokes on the fast action scenes of a couple of HD videos I’ve tried. Maybe some time in the future when/if 2D accelerated graphics in the Intel extreme driver is tweaked/optimised some more. Even then, maybe not since I guess the processing/data throughput requirements for fast action HD video must be truly demanding.

Alan[/quote]

I watch h264 high bit rate videos all the time at resolutions of 1400 to 1920 on haiku all the time. Never had a problem on any of my older dual cores or faster single core machines.

Even the Be, Inc. web site of old had a compatibility list

and this compatibility list was probably quickly outdated as well. Even if not as quickly as nowadays.

It’s a pity constructors can’t stop making new and new models, replacing versions 5 months later. At least Apple doesn’t change everything so often.

anyway, I’ve found this model a few month ago, and this winter it was still advertised in many supermarket:

http://haikuware.com/details/emachines-el1352

super cheap, and super compatible with Haiku. It seems Acer are using quite generic hardware, as it’s often compatible with Linux and Haiku.

Could be boot loader or ATA stack bug. Can you run Linux, Ubuntu Live, and type lspci -nn for non-working systems. Then create new forum post (or ticket) and paste that information into it. Maybe we can see what they have in common (hopefully different board models) to see what is causing Haiku to not boot on them.