HELP WANTED: R1/beta5 boot & hardware testing!

Thank you for the reply, GhostBSD 24.04.2 does not seem to recognize the WiFi either. I booted up a Linux live USB (Elementary OS) and this is what lspci gives me:

03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)

I found a few forum threads about this specific chips,but no solution that anyone got it to work,unfortunately.

Without either FreeBSD or OpenBSD supporting your Wifi chip,there’s nothing we can do.
Your best solution may be replacing the Wifi chip in your laptop,as Thinkpads are usually rather easy to open and repair and such.
I recommend getting a Intel wifi chip,as these are supported rather good at both FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
Alternatively,you could use a USB Wifi stick,many of the cheap ones do also work,but unfortunately there is no way to know if they use a supported chip before buying.

Edit: This one should work,for example: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 - PCI | Kaufland.de
It’s supported by OpenBSDs iwm driver: iwm(4) - OpenBSD manual pages

2 Likes

Upgraded to beta5 on my laptop, couldn’t find anything that didn’t work, although I did get a ACPI error when shutting down once; haven’t been able to reproduce it though, and I, in my infinite wisdom, forgot to take a picture of the error :man_facepalming:

Haiku 64bit hrev58043:

• Sound volume is to high out of the box (HD Audio).
  • Epiphany in Apps menu called “Web”
  • Epiphany don’t understand third/forth level of the keymap.
  • Keymap substitution for shortcuts not work on Epiphany.
  • KeymapSwither shortcut setting for changing keymaps work only after system reboot.

Here is your answer about epiphany name. So they kept Epiphany as code name of the project but official name is now GNOME Web, often shortened to Web.

What about renaming Web to GNOME Web in the applications menu so that it’s clear it’s the one from the GNOME project?
Only Web without further clarification is a very generic name and may also lead to confusion with WebPositive,often shortened to Web+
I wouldn’t say it’s a bug,but I got confused by those very similar names as well a few times.

2 Likes

Not part of Haiku. Was discussed at:

4 Likes

Thank you for the help!
I actually have 3 USB WiFi sticks, is there any special process to activate them? I tried plugging all 3 in and none of them seem to be recognized but maybe there is a step I am missing.

Just to make sure, did you plug them in before booting Haiku? Because hot-plugging is not supported as far as I know. (for usb devices using the FreeBSD driver compat layer that is, to be specific)

Apart from that there shouldn’t be any special process required. If your usb wifi devices don´t work you can try with the newest nightly or the beta 5 release candidate that this thread is about (if you are on a beta version). If that doesn’t help find out which chip they are using (listusb and listdev commands, or the Devices app can help you with that) and make a bug report. Sometimes only small changes in the driver or compat layer are required.

2 Likes

Hi @waddlesplash, do you need testing under qemu/kvm 64bit and qemu soft 32bit? I could try both and also efi / bios boot.

Great work :slight_smile:

HP printing still works… tested on hrev58095 x86 as well.
Test page still prints out to printer. :white_check_mark:

Tested a UEFI x86_64 install on QEMU 9.0.2. There seems to be no option to install the EFI boot loader, so cannot boot a new install.

Tested BIOS x86_64 install on QEMU 9.0.2.
Using GPT , no boot posdible
Using MBR, boots ok.

Also have random KDL when using virtio network instead of emulated e1000.

Select “live mode”, and copy the contents from the install thumb drive to the esp of the new install

1 Like

Thanks, I have heard this before but had forgotten about it. I am guessing it already exist in the backlog to add this to the installer, otherwise we should make a ticket for it. I do not recall this was written in the install/partition instructions provided in the installer.

I updated these instructions recently which may be helpful.

2 Likes

Hi All!

Just downloaded R1/Beta5 and tried on a USB stick on my Mac Pro Late 2013 and I am getting this when booting.

What else can I upload to help with testing?

Specs are:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 3,7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 10 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
System Firmware Version: 481.0.0.0.0
OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~37
SMC Version (system): 2.20f18
Panel Illumination Version: 1.4a6
Serial Number (system): F5KS60A0F9VN
Hardware UUID: B904F82E-D8B7-5E74-9E21-1A7A9160FD63
Provisioning UDID: B904F82E-D8B7-5E74-9E21-1A7A9160FD63

The application server crashed in your screenshot.

Try booting with failsafe graphics enabled.

Since I updated my repositories I’m seeing a lot of this:

It’s a minor irritation, since pkgman will reuse even partially downloaded hpkg files from previous attempts. Still,there must be something wrong with the networking …

Well, before updating i lost my radeon_hd driver. :frowning:

These instructions worked for me, but I had to change the case on some of the commands! Can you change it so that “EFIBOOT” is in all-caps everywhere in the command block, like so:

mkdir -p "/EFIBOOT/EFI/BOOT"
cp "/system/data/platform_loaders/haiku_loader.efi" "/EFIBOOT/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI"
1 Like