HELP WANTED: R1/beta5 boot & hardware testing!

Hello everyone!

The first full builds from the Haiku R1/beta5 branch (currently in the “testing” phase so this is “Test Candidate 0”, not a Release Candidate yet) are available for x86_64 and x86_gcc2h:

• r1b5_tc0 x86_64 (sha256: e6ebf6359c71e631f58947c380f6f205602230a4c726da596078b98edb1ee948)
  • r1b5_tc0 x86_gcc2h (sha256: 516f2fbef7df68d77b6eb1c13171077fd4da437e55f429f07c349e18f7af1bf0)

If you have time, please test these on whatever hardware you have, in as many configurations as you can, and fill out this survey for each one (and of course, if you run into any bugs that you have not before, file tickets in addition to reporting it in that survey.)

20 Likes

KNOWN ISSUES:

1. OpenGL applications crash on startup on the live image (#18986)
1 Like

Is the idea simply to make a USB stick and try booting from that and experimenting? Rather than attempting to update our current installs (I’m running a nightly)?

An USB stick, a live CD/DVD, a real install, it’s up to you. One sure thing, do not use that to update a working install, you may lose things.

1 Like

Yes, the idea is to boot a totally from-scratch install and report back (after all, you may have set various configurations or blacklisted files to get things to boot; we want to get feedback from a totally unmodified install.)

If you don’t have any packages blacklisted or extra drivers installed, I guess you can skip that, and just switch your running install to the r1beta5 package repos and then pkgman full-sync.

3 Likes

What’s new in B5?

Just installed the Beta5 Test Candidate. Install went well with no issues noticed on my test machine. WebPositive seems to load websites much faster with the updated haikuwebkit/webkit.

Used HaikuDepot to install beam and the installation went smoothly. The repositiories are no longer showing beta 4 or beta 5.

Updated via command line haikuwebkit-1.9.12 along with libjpegturbo_devel and texinfo. no issues during update.

2 Likes

mini-pc which used for industry named “Hikvision mv-vb2210-120G”.

the problem with wrong resolution ratio。

it is fixed with r1b5_tc0 x86_64

when I link my smartphone as network-driver, it frozen.

when i click into poweroff, it frozen at the final stage.

pkgman full-sync

ok, after it.

i try Androidfiletransfer, it take haiku into frozen.

i open libreoffice, and want to get some picture of haiku.

then, it frozen.

it have 4G memory.

so, what happened?

ok, i try Androidfiletransfer again. and it frozen again.
then, i switch may smartphone into usb-share-network status. it is the result.

1 Like

Did some testing with the x86_64 live image on my desktop computer (AMD Ryzen 5 on a MSI motherboard) and I was honestly surprised by how smooth it runs and how network just worked. I’m going to file some bug reports later, but here’s the quick overview:

• audio: not working (motherboard onboard audio was detected but did not work, USB speaker was not detected, bluetooth audio paired but was not shown on media settings output list).
  • bluetooth: was a bit buggy, but I was able to scan and pair my bluetooth headphone.
  • network: ethernet and wifi worked. But wifi list is showing way too many networks (a lot of them without any name), and when disabling and re-enabling ethernet, I had to disable and re-enable DHCP to get an IP.
  • browser: webpositive worked nicely. I was able to check this discussion board, use duckduckgo, download some sample audio files, etc.
  • monitor: I use an ultrawide monitor and it worked great. Haiku looks beautiful in 3440x1440.

GLTeapot actually worked fine on x86_64 live from USB. I will test the other applications.

Update: they all worked fine. I just posted a comment on the bug ticket.

64 bit hrev 57937+36

1. WebPositive
    file download broken
    #18989 (hrev57966 x64 Buggy..) – Haiku
  2. BeAM
    mail download broken
    Broken BeAM · Issue #10835 · haikuports/haikuports · GitHub
  3. yt-dlp file download broken

Global Haiku BUG ??

I have a stock thinkpad T510 with 32bit haiku and I updated my repositories to R1Beta5, so far the only issue I’m noticing is the bluetooth app crashing, but that is happening on my 64 bit install as well so I don’t know if its a bug, or at least a new bug.

Packages: 304
Resolution: 1600x900
Disk: writable / is ()
CPU: Intel Core i5 M 520 @ 2.40GHz
GPU: Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
RAM: 779MiB / 2931MiB

1 Like

Thanks everyone who’s tested so far!

This looks like a bug indeed, I will have to look into that. Probably I missed updating a configuration file somewhere. The “Release Cookbook” is supposed to specify what changes to make here, perhaps it’s incomplete…

2 Likes

Unsurprisingly, just like previous betas and nightlies, the test image runs nicely on my now 10 year old notebook. Wifi connects, sound plays…
No problems with Teapot or Haiku3D.

HaikuDepot causes a bit of trouble:

• it opens on “All packages”
  • the “Featured packages” tab is empty
  • on first launch it showed 4000+ packages but I didn’t find “clipdinger” or “quicklaunch”. On second launch they were there.
  • had one crash: https://0x0.st/X4MI.report
  • this is a “HaikuDepot -v trace” output, in case it hints to where the “Featured packages” have gone: https://0x0.st/X4Ml.txt

Web+ downloading has an issue we’ve seen before:
Downloads work for me, but cancelling a download doesn’t stop it. I have to quit Web+ and after some seconds it stops.
Something to do with the curl-backend…? Maybe @PulkoMandy remembers.

Perhaps @apl might have a chance to look into this in the near future?

One more thing: On first bootup, there used to be a notification of keys being generated, which took some seconds. That’s not happening in the test image. Intentionally?

How long is the testing period? This is essentially a 4-day weekend here in France, but next week I will get back home, test on various machines I have, and also ask my colleagues to try it

For once I will not take credit here: most of the performance gains are thanks to Waddlesplash work on the TCP/IP stack and other areas, and WebKit is only a very small piece of the puzzle

Hello @humdinger & @waddlesplash ;

had one crash: https://0x0.st/X4MI.report

Gee I would really like to understand this one a bit better. I have tried a few things to try to reproduce the problem on virtual and hardware. Do you recall what you might have been doing at the time? Are you able to reproduce the problem at all?

on first launch it showed 4000+ packages but I didn’t find “clipdinger” or “quicklaunch”. On second launch they were there.

This is strange. I can see both packages. When you say “didn’t find” – do you mean using the “search” function in the application or by scrolling in the list in the “all packages” tab?

the “Featured packages” tab is empty

This will be because the R1B5 system is picking up a repository ID of tag:ha.....s/r1beta5/x86_64 but this identifier is not registered in HDS.

• Authenticate as an admin users with HDS
  • Navigate to the list of Repositories
  • Click on HaikuPorts
  • Click on haikuports_x86_64 Source
  • Edit and add the extra identifier
  • Save

Do the same thing for the haikuports_x86_gcc2 Source.

You can get the correct IDs to use from pkgman list-repos on the R1B5 machine. Note that the URLs listed from that command appear to be incorrect.

1 Like

I’ve also seen the prefs/repositories list the master repo on the TC0 image instead of beta5, so maybe it is just set incorrect in the first place?