HELP WANTED: R1/beta2 boot & hardware testing!

sounds like a great opportunity for me to put my asinine sized horde of laptops, desktops, and random odd motherboards and graphcs cards to use.

tested 6 systems only with USB-flash-drive no burned CD-R(W)s … mixed results … put 5 into the survey (6th failed because secure boot) … maybe you add 2-3 questions to the survey

• boot-media-typ (flash drive, optical, both) and interface (usb, sata, ide …)
  • remarks/notes (so people can put down some info e.g. in my case one system had network connected but many strange SSL errors on all websites, subsequently I couldn’t test audio via a streaming site or which boot options were needed to boot to installer/desktop)

You can just put those in the “Any other hardware that does not work” I guess.

Most likely this means your system clock is wrong.

1 Like

I e-mailed all my colleagues in my company asking for help in testing. We just want to get as much reports as possible I think. I’m not sure how we will follow-up from the form reports however. Maybe we can just put a “more than 80% of the machines we tested with boot Haiku just fine” in our hardware support page or something.

1 Like

I’ve also thought about how to process all the incoming reports and build a searchable hardware database from that. I think Zeta had something similar and there was a website where you could search for vendors, models and hardware type.
So basically a mapping from the hardware as seen by users (up to system level, e.g. laptop model) to the HaikuOS hardware info page…

I think the list linked from Computers compatible with Haiku (v3) does this quite well already?

2 Likes

Thanks I knew I was missing something, only found the old one in Trac at https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/HardwareInfo

Great project, still, putting all this information in a database/ES instance you can query, also over an API, would be very helpful, as it would open up possibilities like a helper application that runs on first boot and proactively informs the user about compatible but also unsupported hardware or parts of it, saving much head scratching and issue hunting…

I just love that the operating system I use on my modern development machine still works on a Pentium II computer from 1997 with 384MB of RAM.
IMG_20200513_235208

15 Likes

How it works on it? How long did it take to boot the system? Can you make a video about how Haikiu works on it?

Hey @waddlesplash, should we try to contact computer-oriented news sites like Phoronix, OS News, etc about this to try gather even more hardware testers? A tweet and a Discourse post will gather support within the Haiku community, but I feel we should try to get more users outside of the normal Haiku community interested too as the R1/beta2 release approaches.

1 Like

Well, from the results so far, I’d say we have a good amount of diversity of hardware being tested already (and this has only been up for just over a day now.) So I don’t think we need to bother people who are not already following Haiku before the release.

2 Likes

already did that :wink:

that system was maybe still on REAL Time not DST.

By the way, in the Ouickguide not all Links working from 9 downwards. And a backlink to the top is missing in all chapters. in the Preferences menu Keymap-Switcher is half translated. in german Keymap-Wechsler

Jaaaaa. Coool. Just booted Haiku on my Ryzen based system. Works. I am here with WebPositive. Also YT plays my favorite songs.
I had to disable your Radeon Driver though.

So nice!!!

Thanks for the mention of the hardware list! :smiley: I really hope that it does help and I’ve tested a few Macs with the builds in the top post, which I’ll be posting soon :slight_smile:

Left my results on my NUC. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I tested on my System76 Oryx Pro, and all was fine except audio. I reported my findings in the survey. But when I looked at the Devices app, I got a kernel panic and reported it as ticket #16038 with a screenshot. I couldn’t find any other bug mentioning kernel panic and DevicesView so I figured it wasn’t yet reported.

I tried my 2011 MacBook Air and 2018 MacBook Pro, neither would boot the disc. However, I used to have Haiku on the Air and all worked except Wi-Fi, as expected. I reported these findings too. I like how the Haiku icon shows up in the boot menu though!
haiku_mbp_boot_menu

3 Likes

Checked 2 HP Pavilion laptops:
1 AMD based, need to blacklist radeon driver, no sound (HDA), wifi works
2 Intel based, radeon driver is ok there, no sound (HDA), no wifi (BCM4313 802.11bgn)

Good news for again test haiku :wink: openbsd has in near future release 6.7 too.

I want ask, that you make something like hardware release notes with supported hardware

Also worth noting, which I didn’t notice before, is that the R1B2 doesn’t show my laptop’s battery status, but hrev54010 does.