HELP WANTED: Haiku R1/beta4 boot & hardware testing!

MediaPlayer is also able to do overlay if available, are you sure that’s where the difference in CPU usage comes from?

Possibly related to #6656 (Overlay does not work anymore) – Haiku

1 Like

Mediaplayer is not satisfied with triple buffering (in my opinion it is nonsense to use more for video buffering) and I think it also failes for the most implemented beos time colorspace. Result is I never see it working.

Yes I am 200 percent sure. Of course the amount of cpu saved directly related to the output video window size. This 50 percent is 720p content scaled 1:1.

I’m getting HTTP 400 errors when attempting to download either image.

e: Now I’m getting the following error instead: ipfs resolve -r /ipns/hpkg.haiku-os.org/testing/r1beta4/tc0/haiku-r1beta4-tc0-x86_64.iso: could not resolve name. Please upload the ISOs somewhere else :frowning:

This thread has been unpinned too. Maybe something like the official release image is coming soon. Yesterday there was only one blocking issue in the bugtracker so… :nerd_face:

1 Like

+1
Also wanted to start testing but same problem too.
Someone reported this earlier in the thread and @kallisti5 fixed it.

Should be resolved now. These are pinned in multiple geographic locations, however the sole NUC at my house is doing ipns resolution of hpkg.haiku-os.org locked up.

Take comfort that R1/beta4 final will not be strictly distributed via IPFS :slight_smile: IPFS is our backup system for mirroring all the isos/repos/etc. I evaluated it a few years ago as a primary distribution system, and the single points of failure kinda put a damper on it lol.

Primary distribution today is done via our Wasabi S3 buckets and global mirror partners.

5 Likes

Yep, it finally works, but is very slow (~150 kB/s).

And it failed. :frowning:

Try this instead as a workaround as I look into it.

2 Likes

For release we usually also try to have a bittorrent available, I think?

1 Like

My custom-built desktop from earlier this year doesn’t boot beta4 TC0, same as with R3 or any of the intervening hrevs, and none of the boot-menu options seem to alleviate the issue. What happens is, I surmise, some kind of USB initialization weirdness: all USB devices shut off, but never come back on, and none of the seven icons on the boot screen ever light up. (Posting here because I don’t think it’s worthy of a survey response, as I haven’t actually used beta4 TC0). What do I do?

Here are the specs:

|          [CPU][AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor]
|   [CPU Cooler][Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2 62 CFM CPU Cooler]
|  [Motherboard][MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard]
|       [Memory][G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory]
|    [Storage 1][Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVMe Solid State Drive]
|         [OS 1][Artix Linux]
|    [Storage 2][Kingston 480 GB SATA Solid State Drive]
|         [OS 2][Windows 10]
|   [Video Card][MSI Radeon RX 570 4 GB GAMING X Video Card]
|         [Case][Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case]
| [Power Supply][Cooler Master MWE GOLD V2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply]

I also noticed something strange with my Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite v2. When I use the Systems Boot Menu and select the USB stick as temporary startup device, Haiku does not start, even in Safemode (Splash screen turns up and a second later it reboots without a syslog entry). But if I set the USB Stick as the first boot device in the BIOS, it works fine and boots to Desktop.

Did you open a bugreport at dev.haiku-os.org? If so, provide a link to it so devs can look into it. Otherwise, maybe it’s time to open one if you want the issue looked into.

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/18116

4 Likes

Dear @korli,

Me also tested hrev56609 and hrev56627 nightly images of 32bit Haiku - written onto USB flash. Both failed to boot - they stucked – as usually – at device listing of USB devices when they would come to be enlisted by boot progressing.
Actually I have no (re)writable CD or DVD disc available - sorry, I need some time till I get payment here :wink:
It would be interesting if optical stuff would be work - however only live session would be available as there’s no free disk space in that laptop - that way I tried to boot USB flash - as I would install Haiku onto unused space of flash disk just as in case Dell machine I did.

Ticket was updated.

Kind regards,

Thank you for your answer, @waddlesplash

Meanwhile I listed /nin to see what commands are available.
yepp I saw list* commands I will try them later. For mountvolume thanks

I smiled on nestat command as me also found it - I just smiled as switches were different just as for ps command – so I have to learn again how to use it. I smiled partway on myself as well – as I had not get the expected output but warning of unknown switches :slight_smile:

Haiku put me back into newbie’s lesson curves …

1 Like

Try what Korli said. There’s also some info here (Chrome OS):

I upgraded beta3 to beta4 hrev56578 on the old core 2 duo machine and everything looks fine. WebPositive can play youtube without crash now, however it is a bit slow to load video and comsume a lot of memory. Screen support i945GME driver as the same as beta3 but the Brightness function still is not usable.

BTW, when I try to build raw nightly disk image, it is failed with -

/boot/home/haiku/src/kits/support/ZstdCompressionAlgorithm.cpp:17: zstd.h: No such file or directory
/boot/home/haiku/src/kits/support/ZstdCompressionAlgorithm.cpp:18: zstd_errors.h: No such file or directory

There is no libzstd_devel listed in HaikuDepot, do I miss something?

1 Like

Look for zstd_devel and make sure you got the menu item Show | Develop packages activated.
Alternatively, in Terminal pkgman search zstd will find the relevant packages.

1 Like