Help - Language translations for Video Editor

Hi everyone.

During the last week, I have completely overhauled the way language text is handled by the application. Instead of embedding every languages text into the application itself, it is now dynamically loaded.

There is a new directory called “Languages” which contains plain text translation of all application strings. This should make it very simple for any user who wishes to translate the application. Due to Haiku read only package file system, the application will also scan ~/config/settings/Medo/Languages for any text files.

With dynamic Plugins and AddOns, this system wont work. In this scenario, the application will scan the same directory with a Plugin/AddOn for a json file called Languages.json. This plain text file (json format) contains a list of supported language translations for the Plugin/AddOn. Again, due to the read only nature of Haiku packages, the updated Addons/Plugins must live in ~/config/settings/Medo/AddOns (or Plugins).

A significant portion of the application has been updated to support dynamic loading of language text. The goal of this refactor was to simplify translations, since anyone who can edit a text file can create a translation.

The latest package file (Beta1-2.x86_64.hpkg) is available on the following network location:
http://www.users.on.net/~zenja/Medo-R1.0.0~Beta1-2.x86_64.hpkg

I will shout out a request to help distribute the hpkg via HaikuPorts in a new forum post.

6 Likes

Great and easy solution thank you I will give it a go.