Hardware List: Tunetracker Systems Computers

@ttcoder any chance to get the hardware specific infos for the tunetracker system computers sell on there side?

System Packages - TuneTracker Radio Automation Software System (tunetrackersystems.com)

They should be optimized for using audio programs and this is interesting for our hardware list too.
I know this can be a protected thing, but it would help to fine optimal hardware.

Hardware List for Haiku - Compatibility / Hardware - Haiku Community (haiku-os.org)

3 Likes

Dane & I talked about the hardware spec on this very forum, several times (until TTS gave up the ghost post-2018) so I don’t think the specs are secret : back then, we were selling AMD-based configs built on Asus FM2A55-style motherboards. You can look that up in a search engine to get the rest of the details (onboard RealTek NIC, Realtek HDA and so on). We never managed to make them run reliably on Haiku in recent years, so if you insist on adding them to the HCL, I would add a big fat proviso, like “reboot Haiku a couple times a day to avoid KDLs, or avoid prolonged media/audio playback”… But it’s your site so it’s entirely your decision whether you want to be level with readers or not :wink:

1 Like

I had thought you have current hardware that is supported.

Basically, the hardware list is also interesting for you to find executable hardware.

will your radio automation software for haiku still be distributed at all?

Switching to PM as this is entirely off-topic (or so I’m told, abundantly)…

Is this professional (licensable) software still available for Haiku?

What is the last result?

The latest news is that they have stopped the sales due to stability issues, and are working on porting their software to Genode with some kind of compatibility layer that’s reusing parts of Haiku sourcecode.

1 Like

that doesn’t sound good :frowning:

4 Likes

So, what is demanded prayerfully, there was for Haiku:
“A native application”, in addition highly professional and commercial - in the positive sense!
So it becomes nothing - with Haiku!

1 Like

The biggest problem is, once they’ve left, they’ll probably never come back, no matter what progress haiku makes. The last haiku legend is gone as well. The only, last professional company that worked with haiku.

I would have wished there had been better cooperation here. Of course Tune Tracker is a relic from the BeOS days but they still used Haiku with the alpha4. Couldn’t they have found a solution together here, or shouldn’t it have been better?

Many are calling for solid hardware that fully supports Haiku, this could have been done in cooperation with TTS.

But I guess I’m thinking again specifically and differently from the rest.

@ ttcoder Nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck from Tune Tracker System and continue to insist, even if not on haiku.

2 Likes

I agree with you 100%!
Even hobbyists need to act professionally if they want to see (ultimately -and in the long run-) good results!

1 Like

Do you have any indication that anyone acted unprofessionally?

(M)An answer to this would only lead to (another) endless and pointless discussion!
Also vergessen wir es lieber!

If alpha4 was stable for their purposes, why not stick with it?

When I did maintenance on small, embedded pbx systems (AllWorx), I never installed the latest software - I had to test new builds and maintain my own “generally available list”.

because the customers like to have the latest hardware and the hardware that was available at the time of alpha 4 is so old that it can no longer be procured. Can’t sell anything used.

1 Like

The workflow for TuneTracker is quite different to an embedded system - the radio station users would be using the Haiku boxes to import music to the system, arrange schedules etc; so there is lots of use of the actual terminal.

In larger radio stations with other playout systems you would have multiple machines but all running bits of the same overall package; none can really be cut down hugely.

Also, I don’t think they even had particularly stable hardware for A4 anyway.

And a second also - there were constant reports of issues with soundcards. Radio stations of any scale at all do not use analogue soundcards anymore; they AES67 audio over IP… the continued focus on soundcard drivers on their Genode based OS port is very backward.

1 Like

I don’t think any version was stable enough, they always had various crashes and also trouble finding gompatible hardware that fit their needs (serial ports, working and reliable sound input and output, …)

From my point of view, I think they could have gotten more involved in fixing bugs. They sent us bugreports for various problems, some test cases, but I don’t remember any case where they sent us a patch to integrate.

So the outcome is that: if you want to run Haiku in a production system now, expect to run into many problems because it’s in beta stage and there’s no commercial support. This can be counteracted by the fact that it’s opensource and willing to accept patches, so what you’d pay in support otherwise, you have to pay in hiring a developer to do things. Which I guess they couldn’t or didn’t want to do? Or not in a permanent way at least.

6 Likes

There is a documented psychological effect that people tend to be more upset over losing something than they are happy about finding something of equal value.

I think that is at play here. It is only one developer choosing to hedge their bets by making a compatibility layer so their software runs on a different platform. It can be argued that is totally sensible like having lifeboats on a ship.

I for one am glad that Tunetracker has decided to hedge its bets with another niche OS rather than just go with Windows, Macintosh, Linux. Similarly, those of us who support niche OS should be encouraging people to choose one that meets their needs best rather than saying it must be Haiku or Genode, MorphOS, or whatever. If we insist people can only be loyal to one OS, then we guarantee they will go with one of those that are seen as too big to fail.

Rather than worrying about the potential loss of one developer, imagine if one percent of the developers on Windows, Macintosh or linux were to spend time coding for any of the niche OS. That would dwarf the number of existing third party developers on any of these small players, and is what we should be aiming for.

And if a new-old-stock motherboard can be found, its onboard capacitors have been aging for years anyway.

1 Like

If you want to stay on the market as a company, you have to keep up with the times and not linger in the past.

2 Likes

See: Alternative Operating Systems Discover Haiku Operating System on USB Flash Drive Stick (tunetrackersystems.com)

Well… possibly a ‘quick fix solution’ was alluring…

Recently, Haiku updated the HDA driver and became more stable than it was 6-8 years ago, Hardware issues, like serial ports or SB Live, caused similar problems even on Linux/BSD/etc (so, these bugs reported were not Haiku specific).

I saw that clients can still buy the TT Command Center demo, user guide, and radio station software demo on a USB with Haiku for $19.95 USD.

Since @ttcoder is still available… maybe this is not as bad as it looks…

4 Likes