Hardware List: Tunetracker Systems Computers

Even in 2018… the FM2A55 boards were already pretty darn old since you are talking about a 2012 board 6 years after launch. Even industrial PC stuff often doesn’t stay available for new purchase that long. On the other hand there were boards they could have used instead that were newer…

A couple years ago I talked to them about getting a demo copy which I bought but never had time to test, and somewhat incentivized since their hobbyist likenesses never game to fruition that I am aware of… and I don’t want to pay a ton just to do some simple unlicensed AM broadcases. That said if more people were using tune tracker … there would be more heads fixing bugs.

So… its a matter of proprietary software hamstringing itself because its proprietary and doesn’t really have a cornered market, so they’d have been better off open sourcing it and selling tech support packages for it like a lot of other companies do these days. Perhaps requiring that you purchase such a package for quicker updates and or commercial use etc… any software package is doomed if it can pickup new users regardless of if they port it to genode or not.

Or it is as bad as it looks but not to late?

TuneTracker Radio Automation Software - About Haiku (tunetrackersystems.com)

Perhaps system/companies like TT should have a way of mark there tickets so we easier can se them and perhaps give them higher priority? don’t know how I feel about it but it’s a thoght :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s easy to find tickets reported by ttcoder and/or Dane (the two people at TuneTracker). Not sure if that changes much. They tried bounties, no one solved their problems even then (there was one for fixing support for a specific serial port card, Haiku devs have the card, ittis in my home now after several rounds of people giving it to each other at BeGeistert, I will probably give it to another dev next time we have an event like that?)

I did take a look at some of the issues and it’s often nontrivial stuff: problems in drivers, memory leaks in media kit, etc. They can be solved but it takes a lot of time, and sometimes doesn’t really benefit anyhe else. And I think the one that really caused problems was along the lines of “the system is not stable” with not much more details.

I guess if they want premium support, the best thing to do is either fix the bugs themselves, or sign some kind of paid contract with someone who will do it. Ideally the contract includes upstreaming the fixes to Haiku. Either that, or they find someone who’ll do it for free because it’s Haiku?

2 Likes

Some of the problem is a lack of communication, at this point. I think a bunch of their long-standing issues were fixed over the past few years, and another group of them was caused by running on hardware (AMD FX) known to have problems on Haiku. I don’t know what stability issues TT has at this point.

2 Likes

TuneTracker is back online - what does that (ultimately) mean?
(TuneTracker Radio Automation Software - About Haiku)

2 Likes

Looks like they’re selling the system on a bootable USB stick, so people can install it on compatible hardware of their choice. That makes sense. Tunetracker is a very good system for radio automation, we’ve been using it for 20 years; first on BeOS, and presently on Haiku. The FCC has an upcoming LPFM application window coming up in December.

3 Likes

I really like their Haiku introduction page: http://www.tunetrackersystems.com/haiku/index.html

Maybe something similar can be included in the Haiku website

2 Likes

This Tunetracker page lists mainly all included 3rd party apps bundled with their Discovery USB stick. Is it useful to list all our included apps, which already presented in detail in the Userguide?

The screenshot tour also introduces Haiku’s main features and links to more info.
Similarly the Quick Tour.

It looks like the old one, so you can get here a alpha 4 version. And i think it is good to see software who are available on Haiku beside Tunetracker.

1 Like

Looks good but it seems to be a little dated. Qupzilla, really? It’s been named Falkon since 2018.

It is the old description for the Alpha 4.

1 Like

The interface itself didn’t changed a lot between both but Falkon uses QtWebengine and Qupzilla uses QtWebkit.
At the end Falkon, doesn’t work so well on Haiku. Qupzilla is less compatible but at least it doesn’t crash every five minutes.
I’d bet that they didn’t update that since they posted it first time.They would probably recommend epiphany nowadays.

1 Like

I have a similar dilemma to TuneTracker re. Haiku and Genode (the latter published in a ready-to-run form as Sculpt OS). The newest Sculpt runs very well on the laptop I brought for Haiku. It has a pace of advancement that leaves Haiku in the dust, because it is a commercial thing with full-time developers. There are two releases of Sculpt each year and only one Haiku Beta if we are lucky.

Haiku’s Risc-V thing aside, it is developing faster into architectures and specific target machines that interest me. I am not yet a Framework owner, but the latest build of “Sculpt” is now targeting that machine as explained in this post on Genodians. They are now able to offer users custom control cores of modern CPUs. The same post also covers their port to the MNT Reform laptop, which is an ARM based machine as is the Pinephone.

Genode has youth on its side, being born in the 2010’s rather than '90’s like BeOS or '70’s like UNIX. So why stick to Haiku?

I keep running Haiku because it is more mature with more software. Also Sculpt relies on a greyish-blue colour scheme which looks rough and inflicts sleep-damaging wavelengths into the users’s eyeballs. Essentially Haiku does what I want on the desktop as a hobby machine rather than a daily driver, but it is a close run thing and the gap is narrow and closing.

I think there is merit for Haiku scene to infiltrate Genode and make Sculpt more Haiku-like. Arguably TTS is doing that, perhaps unintentionally, but I argue is good for both our communities. Lots of people like what Haiku is about but whose demands are for better system safety than we can offer, and we can direct these people to try Sculpt. I also think there should be a conference or something between the developers of Haiku and Genode to strengthen fellowship between what are in fact very small operating system players so we are allies not rivals.

1 Like