Haikuporter vim recipe with python help

Example I’m using is building vim with python, which also builds python or at least parts of it.

What would need to be done to ensure that a recipe that builds vim with python would also properly build python? Would I need to combine the recipes? If so, how? Is there a way for one recipe to call the necessary bits from the other recipe?

Your vim recipe should NOT attempt to build Python at all, instead it should reuse the Python available in the repo. Also i am not aware to vim boundling Python at all.

But it would be much easier to give you hints or opinions if you would explain what are you up to.

So far I’m just trying to get vim compiled so that python3 commands are available to it for use by plugins. Which python3 support is disabled by default in the ports recipe with a comment that it is broken. Even though enabling python and python3 in the recipe builds, the resulting build doesn’t report python and python3 as active.

Edit correction: builds with python, but fails with python3 flags enabled.

Would I need to add a line to the REQUIRES="" or BUILD_REQUIRES=""?

Definetely. Maybe the recipe already has it with a #, in that case you can remove the # and try to build and run it.

1 Like

Got vim to report python2. Now to get python 3 built in.

I’m mostly through getting vim to configure with python3, or so I hope. I’ve done about half a dozen configure errors that are now silenced.
Now I’m stuck at this one. What’s the thought process involved in sorting this out? tgetent is available in the ncurses library, but the library is not usable. Should I just try providing a different possible library? Or should I get it finding ncurses?

checking for tgetent in -lncurses... yes
ncurses library is not usable
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
no terminal library found
checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
      You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
      On Linux that would be the libncurses-dev package.
      Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.
Warning: Command '['bash', '-c', '. /wrapper-script']' returned non-zero exit status 1.
Error: Build has failed - stopping.
~/src/haikuports/app-editors/vim> 

Make sure the recipe mentions the ncurses devel package too.

1 Like

Presumably under build requires?

It is already in the current recipe.

I see that now.

What does the config.log says?

Maybe this could help:

1 Like

I’ll look at it after work.

This builds for me. I’ll start working from this recipe.