HaikuDepot is not a very good name

HaikuDepot is a good name.

Store sounds like to buy every think.
Play like Google, so i think i get only games.

3 Likes

As i see we will’nt change the name, Depot is a very good name.

1 Like

None of the above, all worse than HaikuDepot.

A depot is a place to store things, so I think it is perfectly adequate to describe the Haiku Package source.

1 Like

Professor Mercurio’s Idiosyncratic Haiku Software Emporium.

4 Likes

HaikuWare or HaikuBase or HaikuPort? HaikuBay? HaikuSpot, HaikuBox?
No?
There is no better name!!

Winner is… even not run:

HaikuDepot

Btw.: What is the difference between an App/Application and Software?

1 Like

Pretty good name, but still I have a better one.
We should name it “Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitzweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm” :wink:

For proper pronounciation check out this video:

2 Likes

I am apparently too young to watch this video.

In British English depot is used most often to refer to a place where mail/packages are sorted, or many vehicles are coming and going… But it isnt a commonly used word and isnt used to refer to a store or shop. A bus depot is called a bus station in the UK, and if you ask people where packages are kept 99.99% will say the sorting office. British English users understand the meaning (it does have that meaning here, except for shop) but it may confuse for a moment.

Having said that, I’m happy with the HaikuDepot name. If I were to suggest a name change it would be “Haiku Software Depot” rather than any of the suggestions in the first post.

2 Likes

Ah, I get the same message when I click on it from the forum. You have to click “watch on Youtube” or search for Johann Gambolputty on YT

1 Like

That did not work here, but i don’t have a youtube account, and i can’t imagine to register for some british humor. The transcript is enough for my enjoyment.

As a relatively new user, I don’t see any problem with the current name. I think it makes sense for what it is, and I don’t see any need to make it more generic.

This guy comes from Ulm… Not far from my place. Strange British humor. Is this funny?

1 Like

Software is everything that your computer runs. The operating system is software, as are device drivers, system services but also your browser, text editor etc.

An app(lication) is a specific software you use and interact with as a user for a specific goal. For example a web browser or text editor.

3 Likes

Let’s try again with dailymotion. I’m not registered there so I suppose it should work for everybody:

It is supposed to be :wink:
But different people have different humour…

Yes the video is somewhat funny…

1 Like

Can’t we just call it Bob?

1 Like

As a British English speaker, I though HaikuDepot was perfectly understandable. It is a place that stores all of the available Haiku add-ons and features. We do not indeed use it for a store in the sense of retail, but we do use it in the sense of store as in “store room” or “storage facility”. I don’t think you can say it is not perfectly understandable to a British English speaker on that case.

I’m new here and new to Haiku. I started in the late 80th with an Amiga 500. In the late 90th I came to Windows 98 and then to Linux and BSD. This was 20 years ago. I don’t know it exactly but I think I had tested BEOS someday. It’s long ago.

Haiku ist very interesting and as far as I could read it shall be compatible to BEOS. Therefore the name has to be Haiku Depot, of course. Nothing else. In the Haiku/BEOS community this name is well known and so there is no need for a new one.

4 Likes

I have only just seen this, but I have to say that I disagree. Depot come from the French, and its original meaning is a place where things are kept, or deposited.
The word is in common use, in a variety of contexts. A common one is bus depot, where buses are kept when off-duty. The word doesn’t immediately suggest sorting office.
Its use as a place where software is deposited and available to download is both perfectly valid and perfectly intelligible to English speakers.