HaikuDepot improvement ideas

Lack of software compared to what??? A linux distro with 10k packages?

I think they must have had Featured Packages turned on and didn’t uncheck it… I question the value of this checkbox for this very reason. Sorting by Rating is more valuable IMO as well as natural.

1 Like

Maybe the problem here is that HaikuDepot only shows a few packages on the first startup.

Next start or refresh or waiting loooong then all the usual packages appear.

Haikudepot Shows the favorites from haiku. No third party, because they are not from the haiku team.

Just finished the install of beta 1 on two laptops. Both show this behavior. On the first start of HaikuDepot only about 10 favorites are visible.
After several minutes the rest of the packages appear.
Maybe Newbies don’t have the patience :thinking:

1 Like

I’m aware of that but it gives the impression that there is barely any software available at first glance… then the person throws the USB drive in the pack and forgets about it. Filtering by Featured apps is actually a bad default that no one in practice will or should ever use as default. I’ve ran across at least 2 people trying out the beta that seem to have done exactly this.

I think it would be better to implement filters that are off by default for the following.

1. Native apps
  2. Curated apps aka Featured ( I thin curated brings to mind a bit more of quality etc…).
  3. Recently updated

People understand filters like this because it’s how every online store works. I don’t think I’ve ever ran across an online store in my entire life that filtered out 3rd party products because their profits would tank lol. Having 3rd party non native apps is a feature and we should embrace it… Native apps will come as the community grows.

This would give users the option to focus on the apps Haiku developers want them to check out but on thier own terms. and in a logically discoverable way. Showing everything and filtering out is the normal way of doing things… not the other way around.

2 Likes

There must be no talk about “Native apps”, this concept is purely for use by programers, it is no concern for the user.

That’s nonsense. This isn’t gnome where we assume users are too dumb to know the difference between a QT app and a native one. And frankly it is relevant to the user how well an application integrates with the OS.

Perhaps even take it as far as Native, Java and QT filters. I might want to even hide all the Java apps if I really dislike Java :slight_smile:

Given the choice between the Kate editor and Koder I’ll pick Koder every time.

When you port some tool to Haiku you make it “native”. Not “native” apps for Haiku are windows or linux apps, which theoreticaly can run on Haiku trough some layer of emulation.
Some filter for Java or QT apps possible, but I sugest do not play “not native” vs “native” game it is bad for system reputation. For the user most important — what app do and how profesional that app is.

QT apps have none of the advantages native BeAPI applications have. They effectively are Linux apps running on Haiku.

I really do agree with your last sentence though, quality is the most important. Telegram is a really nice QT application for instance I’m impressed with how well the port works… though it isn’t really a well integrated app it is good quality.

No, there are no Linux apps running on Haiku (there is no linux emulation layer on Haiku), but there are some Haiku QT apps (these not Linux apps).

QT… is effectively that a layer. It has none of the advantages that the BeAPI allows. Only the same features or in many cases less than it does on Linux.

1 Like

No. QT is a programming tool, it is not some layer between Linux and Haiku.

It is a GUI framework that builds an abstract layer on whichever OS it is ported to. That’s part of the reason applications written in it are generally portable they are “not native” wherever they are ported to.

Now don’t get me wrong you could write an application with native features in QT I imagine… it’s a bit of a stretch though. And I doubt any exist. And it wouldn’t be portable to Linux or other OSes at that point.

Now quit being petty.

2 Likes

How you understand “native”?

The BeAPI is the native API of Haiku. Period. QT applications literally punch a hole in a BeAPI window and just draw their own non native widgets in there by proxy , which happen to have a Haiku like style.

1 Like

The programs should be sorted by cathegory, because this is the only way, user to help.

They already are? Not sure what you mean? the problem is people are opening HaikuDepot seeing a list of 10 apps and then closing it forever… there are no stats displayed indicating what is available etc… and most applications are hidden from view by default.

While HaikuDepot has pretty good useability (other than the fact that if you install something ) The install button gets stuck off if you browse to another package an install it at the same time. You can get it to come back sometime by changing category.

What it lacks us discoverability, and it feels like something is missing when it first loads up the bottom pane is empty, how about displaying Repo statistics there on startup. Like total # of packages, package updates this month, the latest 5 packages I dunno… something.

1 Like

The problem is that you get only haiku Favorite apps displayed by default. Third party apps not part of support by the haiku team. I can understand from this side that third party apps only displayed if you add the repos or if already included are displayed then you activated them.

We need more positive articles and how to for haiku.

If “Featured Packages” was visible, instead of hidden in a menu, it would be less of a problem.

It’s not hidden at all. We moved the checkbox slap in the middle beside the categories a while back.
The issue isn’t the Featured setting, but that there’s no feeback that HaikuDepot is busy downloading data of a thousand packages when first started.

1 Like