Haiku R1/beta4 has been released! | Haiku Project

@zuzulo
I don’t see why you would want to install B4 when you are aware of the nightlies

Because the reality is that nightly builds could be anywhere from perfectly functional to totally unstable.

Also because I already have a burned copy of R1/B4 (dvd), no more burnable dvds (I happen to like optical discs), and usually would just install it to a regular hard drive/ssd (hence the USB drive) but this particular system doesn’t have one. Just a confluence of factors, really.

Besides, if folks advocate that you use the stable release for trying out Haiku then it sucks to have a non-workable release. After all it doesn’t ship with nearly a full functional set of software, so you have to use HaikuDepot to get some other stuff (unless you just happen to have a local copy.

1 Like

The packages are in a single repository shared by both the latest beta and the nightlies, they are the same.

The core system is different, the beta version only gets bugfixes and new features (new drivers, user interface changes, various additions to the system libraries) go in the nightlies.

So maybe you need the nightlies if a driâer for some of your hardware was added or fixed there. Or you can use them if you’re ready to qelp with finding, reporting and invesigating bugs. In other cases, the beta will give you a better and more predictable experience.

Thanks. :grinning:

I was able to get the applications working after running SoftwareUpdater (successfully downloaded the newer packages, but got stuck applying the changes) and then resorting to ‘pkgman update’.