Haiku R1/beta4 has been released! | Haiku Project

Ahoy !

On nightly images page you can read the following actually :

“… With the release of Haiku R1/beta3 …”

Seems it had missed to be changed to Beta4 -

2 Likes

The wording is weird, " With the release of Haiku R1/beta3, there are official image files available on our website." What does this actually mean?

@korli
To me it says - there are new official beta release images ready to download from our website. :slightly_smiling_face:

Your best shot would be a call/letter to ZDnet. Not sure of the chances of them responding or editing the article though.

I could not find an obvious way of emailing the editors of ZDnet, which does not bode well for their desire to talk directly. The only contact channel I can find are those via proprietary “social media” like twitter and face ache. Not even mastodon!

There seems to be a good opportunity to tap other IT news sites with a common letter. Most have an address for web form for tip-offs. Perhaps an introduction might be on these lines:

Haiku Beta 4 released

Dear Sirs,

I would like to bring to your attention the latest release of Haiku which I think will be of interest to your readers. It has already been covered by TheRegister where it provoked positive discussion. Whilst - being inspired by BeOS - Haiku will appeal to segments of your readership interested in retro computing; we stress that Haiku is a modern operation system enjoying daily usage. The current release, for example, provides users with access to Gnome apps including its web standards compliant browser.

Further information on the release, along with download links and contacts for any enquiries, can be accessed at https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/r1beta4/release-notes/

Here is another one for publications that have written about Haiku in the past:

Haiku Beta 4 released

Dear Sirs,

I notice that you have previously covered the Haiku project on (title and date). We would like to draw your attention to the enormous progress made since and invite you to review the current release which we consider to be getting close to finished standard. It is already the everyday choice of many users and now provides access to the suite of Gnome apps including its web standards compliant browser.

Further information on the release, along with download links and contacts for any enquiries, can be accessed at https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/r1beta4/release-notes/

4 Likes

https://download.haiku-os.org/
With the release of Haiku R1/beta3, there are official image files available on our website.

Congratulations!!!

@humdinger I think he is trying to point out that R1B3 is mentioned and should be changed to R4.

2 Likes

Not sure where to change the text on that page…
@kallisti5, can you have a look at https://download.haiku-os.org/ and maybe change the sentence:

With the release of Haiku R1/beta3 , there are official image files available on our website.

to simply:

Official image files are available on our website.

It comes from here: generate-download-pages/index.html at master · haiku/generate-download-pages · GitHub

I don’t know if something else is needed after changing this in the repository.

Thanks. Sent a PR before I saw yours… :slight_smile:
I opted for removing the release name, but don’t mind which way we go…

Just tried R1 Beta 4 from USB stick — amazing speed, even on a lightweight two-core laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 3).

The touchpad is not working (eek!), should I file a bug (where and with what information?), I would like to help troubleshoot the combination as Haiku on a 200$ laptop seems like a great combination!

1 Like

Yes
https://dev.haiku-os.org

to start with: laptop model, haiku revision
system log (/var/log/syslog)

device tree (listdev -v)

usb tree (listusb -v)

usb decsriptor reports (stored in /tmp)

2 Likes

You can try the nightly builds before filing a bug, just in case it was already fixed since then (if you file a bug, this is the first thing we will ask anyways :))

1 Like

I know there are more recent nightly builds (and maybe I’ll try one later), but:

I recently installed the R1/beta4 (x86 gcc2h, 32-bit) release on a USB drive and I haven’t been able to get any Qt apps to run.

So far I’ve tried installing several web browsers (Falkon, Ladybird, Otter-Browser, Ladybird) and FeatherPad from HaikuDepot. All three of them pop up a message complaining that the application could not be opened and mention missing symbols.

Trying to run them from terminal yields the following messages:

Otter-Browser, FeatherPad

runtime_loader: /boot/system/lib/x86/libstdc++.so.6.0.29: version “GLIBCXX_3.4.32” not found (required by libQt5Qml.so.5)

Falkon

runtime_loader: /boot/system/lib/x86/libstdc++.so.6.0.29: version “GLIBCXX_3.4.32” not found (required by Falkon)

Ladybird

runtime_loader: /boot/system/lib/x86/libstdc++.so.6.0.29: version “GLIBCXX_3.4.30” not found (required by libQt6Core.so.6

Any thoughts on what exactly is going on to cause this problem? Seems a shame to have such an issue with an official “release”.

You probably have an old version of the gcc_x86_syslibs package installed. Performing a system update should download the new version and fix the crashing apps.

1 Like

I don’t see why you would want to install B4 when you are aware of the nightlies

Why would anyone install the unstable-unsupported-will-definetely-break-tommorow branch as a user when we actually take the effort to release stable beta versions that we support…?

9 Likes

I think the answer to that is that people like me don’t know how up-to-date Beta4 actually is, and feel that the nightlies will offer features or improvements that aren’t to be found in Beta4.

3 Likes

Okay. I’ll have a look at that. I suppose that makes sense if the packages in HaikuDepot are being kept reasonable up to date.