Haiku R1/beta4 has been released! | Haiku Project

Thanks Haiku team for this new release!

3 Likes

I just installed it on real Hardware (Core2Quad) via the recommended terminal commands with now problems. Runs great!

1 Like
12 Likes

Haiku is not Unix

Haiku is not Unix

Haiku is not Unix

Ok,sir I think I get the point

1 Like

I think this is a very informative (and convincing) article, which will encourage people to try Haiku.

Actually, the reason I myself installed Haiku on a laptop a few days ago was a similar article I read on the internet after the R1/beta4 was released, so I thought: why don’t you make yourself a Christmas present?

2 Likes

Well, in this case the “point” is a common misconception. Haiku is most definitely by a UNIX by just about any definition, as I’ve pointed out in many places before…

7 Likes

That’s probably the best article I’ve read about Haiku so far.
It shows its advantages and why many of the differences are good,and doesn’t cry about things that are not like Linux.

4 Likes

Looking good! Quick test ‘live’ this morning showed my wifi working OK, sound OK, web browsing works, but a bit jittery when scrolling using the mouse wheel - my test bed was a HP T520 thin client, running from a M2 SSD in a USB3 external housing.

Its even made an appearance on AppleInsider. It gets a fairly positive article, if not an actual review, from this normally quite partisan Macintosh fanboi site:

6 Likes

There is a really strange article on zdnet about beta 4. Haiku is an open-source operating system for those who miss NeXTStep | ZDNET

The title is “Haiku is an open-source operating system for those who miss NeXTStep” and it keeps suggesting that it is somehow related to NeXTStep… he also thinks there is no browser or mail client built in and that you are best off installing Otter… :confused:

I guess that haiku made it to zdnet is kind of yay!?

Some strange snippets:

However, Haiku isn’t for just anyone; not even every Linux user would appreciate the OS. Haiku is for those who experienced either NeXT or AfterStep and want an operating system that looks and feels a bit old school but performs faster than any OS they’ve ever experienced.

What is so good about Haiku (besides the wonderful NeXTStep UI)?

To begin with, unless you’ve used either NeXTStep or AfterStep, Haiku looks like no other operating system you’ve ever experienced.

Of course, Haiku isn’t going to challenge Linux, MacOS, or Windows. That’s just not happening. But as a throwback to old-school ways, an operating system for those who like to be different, or something to do for fun, Haiku might be just the ticket to sate those needs.

There’s no browser or email client. How do you install them? If you click Applications > HaikuDepot, the app installer will open, where you can install any of the available applications, such as Otter Browser or the Beam email client.

The (ZDNet) reviewer must have only skimmed through, he’s obviously not read about Haiku, & where it came from, nor has he even looked through the menu! :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah! He didn’t seek the truth so well, which is not in line with his hipster bio :smiley:

1 Like

The review is probably generated by an AI.

7 Likes

People keep expecting journalists, but end up getting bloggers.

1 Like

Bloggers often do a much better job, because they have a lot of time to work on things.

Journalists have maybe a couple hours to write such an article, not enough time to do proper research. And they probably get hugely underpaid too. Especially on such websites where toe article is available for free.

6 Likes

Just read perhaps the most inaccurate article I’ve ever read regarding Haiku, BeOS and Mr. Gassée…

It’s so bad it nearly made me snort my wine.

Just read the fricking URL for a laugh.

2 Likes

To some extent I agree that “pay peanuts - get monkeys”. But on the other hand, not being paid enough is not a good excuse for being terrible at your job. And the article is really bad. It doesn’t help the author or us. He didn’t do any research at all from what I can see, or even read any other articles about the release. Just thought “this looks a bit like NeXTStep” and ran with it, adding a bunch of falsehoods presented as facts. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I wonder if there are any recourse to a press standards body to redress inaccurate reporting in this instance? Or perhaps a letter to the editor is required. In the case of the latter, maybe it should be suggested Haiku inc be given the chance to see the review for beta 5 prior to publication?

Still all publicity is good publicity. Perhaps its time for another Arstechnica review!

2 Likes

I’d rather not give the inc needless work :slight_smile:

Usually not, because freedom of press.