Haiku R1/beta2 Release Candidate 2

Thanks. (Uh, and what feature was that? The Internet?) And why should it be the Installer’s business at all what’s on the partition I tell it to use for the install? “This partition is not empty.” So what? It will be formated anyway. And if the “guide to update” is unpublished as yet, why do you refer to it in the error message? I just looked at the draft version in the link, and the first step is “Get the latest updates” - how? SoftwareUpdater won’t work from Beta 1 anymore. As I said. I was hoping to install Beta 2 to get access to HaikuDepot and the Updater again. So, I effectively can neither install nor upgrade to that Beta 2 release candidate now. Must admit, I’m a little bit disappointed here.

Currently that’s not the case, Installer never formats the partition. The idea is that you could use it to update an existing system. I personally wouldn’t allow that, but apparently others think it’s useful.

As for the “guide to update”, as I said, it will be published when beta2 is released. You are testing a release candidate of a beta release (another thing I think is rather strange, soon we will have alpha versions of release candidates of beta of release candidates of version 1 or whatever, this makes no sense).

The software updater will work if you follow the instructions in this guide, I hope, at least. If it doesn’t, indeed the guide should be fixed to have the correct instructions (that’s the point of having a guide thre).

In any case, yes, the process isn’t perfect here, that’s one of the things we are working on during the beta phase. It is, after all, the first time that it’s possible to update an existing Haiku install from one release to another. Of course there are rough edges, things not going as smoothly as we had expected, and so on. The goal here is to experiment with this, catch as much as we can of these problems, and set up a plan so that the update from beta 2 to beta 3 works better.

1 Like

Why not just make the Installer ignore what’s on the partition I tell it to use? I did it in Fedora Linux a few weeks ago - upgrade from F31 to F32 wouldn’t work, so I just made a fresh install from DVD-R, overwriting an existing one. The Fedora Installer merely asked: “Not enough free space on hard disk. Reclaim space?”, and when I typed “y”, it just wiped the disk and proceeded. As intended.

How much did you pay for the operating system?

How much are most of the developers paid?

The answer is nothing in both cases. Please adjust your expectations accordingly, and be prepared to expend a little effort yourself.

As it happens, this release candidate works extremely well, all things considered, and is defintiely worth the small amount of time it will take you to install it. I, personally, am absolutely delighted with it.

@Sebrof: So, something does not cost any money isn’t worth anything and can’t be expected to work, if I get your argument correctly? But let’s not have that discussion right now. I love Haiku - it has the most intuitive GUI I’ve ever seen, tons of customisation options, and I’d be ready to make it my everyday OS if it were not for the stability issues (approx. 1 crash per session currently, I just can’t trust it with my bread job. I hope Beta2 will run more stable). And it’s a beautiful thing. It’s, however, not a little experimental thing for a few afficionados, but aimed at the general public, a full-fledged OS with a large software repository and constant updates and maintenance. We’re not talking about TempleOS here, Haiku is in size as well as in scope equivalent to a Linux distro. Therefore, an upgrade should come with a procedure intelligible for the general public, and the requisite instructions be readily available at the time of release (by whatever name you call it, alpha, beta, pre-alpha, candidate - if you put it on the Web to download, it’s a release). Of course I’m investing the time necessary, and gladly so, but I would have liked a clear procedure “How to upgrade from Beta1 to this release candidate version” (without having to refer to a draft document under discussion somewhere on GitHub that nobody except the developers knows about) - or just an Installer option “Wipe disk and proceed to install”.

Actually, it’s a release candidate.

It’s good that you appreciate the many good points of Haiku, but we all need to appreciate the work of the developers too, and treat them with respect and good manners. They do a great job with very limited resources.

On my system the beta is working well, and the only problem I have had involves a website known (to me at least) to be difficult. It’s netweather.tv and it has never worked well with either Net+ or Otter for some reason.

Anyway, good luck.

I meant Web+ of course, not Net+.

To help clarify: The instructions for updating from Beta1 to Beta2 will likely be on the website in time for the final release of Beta2.

@Sebrof: Thanks! Using the secret instructions, I just successfully upgraded from Beta1 to Beta2 release candidate 2 via BASh Terminal. Everything works fine, all the new features are there, and all my settings have been preserved.
And of course the developers are to be appreciated and praised for all their creativity, hard work, and decades-long determination. It’s a labour of love they do, and the reward is in the work itself. I’ll nevertheless use the opportunity for a big thank-you and keep up the great work, guys!
And now I’ll post the secret upgrade procedure in a separate post…

1 Like

I wouldn’t ask for that. Installer used to do it the other way - copy its files on top of the existing disk contents - and that expectation from prior experience adds to the hazard already there when you offer to erase someone’s disk. Anyway, the install media comes with the disk management tools you need to format the disk, so the option is there. What apparently cannot be done, is use the install disk to upgrade.

Hi,

I tested the X64 build of Haiku Beta RC2. Nice work. I had one OS crash. The kernel debugger said something like “Could not set attribute …”. I have the /var/log/system.log if you want it.

The next session lasted one hour and did not end with a crash. I did install lots of packages and also built my little 3D engine. Worked! Very nice also to see IntelliJ, LibreOffice and Krita on Haiku…

One question: Is the kernel compiled with debugging extra code or is it a release build? Just super curious.

It’s compiled with most of the performance-impacting debugging code turned off.

Please do post the log somewhere (if it does not contain the kernel crash, though, it’s not really useful, so please check.)

1 Like

Hi, does this help?

https://pastebin.com/BznbrbPj

Thank you all!

As a developer I really appreciate the feedback on things that don’t go as expected. I may not commit to an immediate fix, sure, but it’s nice that users make the effort to report their problems or things that they found behaving strangely, so we can improve on it. No need to blame anyone for that.

Anyway, back on-topic:

Yes, I agree that the Installer shoudl be able to do an automatic update, in a “just take this whole partition and do the right thing with it” or “just take this whole disk and do the right thing with it” way. That would be the simple and easy way and what I expect from an Installer. The problem is, there are people wanting to use it in other ways too:

• To upgrade an existing system without losing their data and settings: I would prefer that this is done using pkgman or SoftwareUpdater. I think SoftwareUpdater will need to be rewritten and maybe merged with Repositories preferences, and we should allow it to do an offline upgrade from a DVD, as well as the online one
  • Some people also use Installer as a generic disk synchronization tool, I think this is a hack and should be reconsidered.

I am not happy with the current install process where you have to mess around in DriveSetup to get things done. But then I am also not happy with a lot of other things that so far I considered more important to fix.

1 Like

This is not a KDL but actually an app_server crash. Since this is inside HWInterface, this may be a problem with your graphics driver.

1 Like

That added functionality would be quite nice. My first reaction was, not so necessary when it’s made clear in advance that the lengthy download pointed to by “Here’s Release Candidate 2” at the top won’t do an upgrade. But in more of a “production” situation where you have more than one computer to upgrade, or you’re facilitating someone else’s upgrade on a computer with limited availability for the purpose, etc., I think a feature like that will be wanted very much. If Installer can no longer do it.

It looks like something wrong is happening in AlphaMask.

1 Like

This is BitmapHWInterface, it is unrelated to graphics driver: AlphaMask.cpp « drawing « app « servers « src - haiku - Haiku's main repository. This problem can be solved in https://review.haiku-os.org/c/haiku/+/2695.

2 Likes

But I really landed In KDL. Next time Ill make a screenshot. Thank you.

app_server crashes use a debug console with a white screen that looks a lot like KDL. It’s still possible you encountered a KDL of course, but without reading the text, they look almost identical.