Haiku os test in my mini-pc

Try to partition it in a smaller size, and see if it works.

If not, try in mint with dd from /dev/random to the device , to see it it writes and fill it correctly.

ok , a good news.
i find out why be error with hdmi mode.
Haiku can not figure out the right Resolution.

i try kinds of Resolution with vga mode.
(perhaps adjust it into a lower number)
take HDMI line to instead of vga line. then reboot the pc.

guess what, it OK.
i lable it with red line.
now, it is clear hdmi display.
the Resolution 1024 * 768 , it display the blue error .
the Resolution 1280 * 1024 , it make screen totally Black blank out.

does the way be useful?
if Haiku do not recognize the right Resolution with hdmi mode, do we need to input the right Resolution when select the safe mode options?

guess what happened next, i reboot the pc , and see the same blue error.( Haiku take 1024 * 768 Resolution again with HDMI mode)

this is right: 1024 * 600 Resolution . the other is wrong.

1 Like

i find out: there is a options to select at the boot menu.
but no 1024 * 600.
so , choose 800 * 600, then HDMI ok.
and the screen information is auto 1024 * 600.

when i reboot the pc, it is blue error again.
what?
does Haiku not record the right Resolution?

try agian.
when booting,

haiku boot loader > select screen Resolution (current: default) > select video mode > 640 * 480 32 bit

it also be auto 1024 * 600 with hdmi mode.

so, why not directly take “640 * 480 32 bit” as default of booting ? to fix the bug. and, the booting logo will be large enough to see.

and, i format the 2.1TB storage as Ext4 again with mint.
upgrade haiku into hrev56578+95 .
with read and write mode, it can not be mounted with haiku. this time , no crash, just a warning information.
only read mode, it be ok.

today, i try to start with UEFI mode.
then, blue error again.
when i press into safe menu, it display 1280 * 1024 * 32bit , 1024 * 768 * 32bit , 800 * 600 *32bit .
i try all of them, but failed into the blue error.
only use " Use fail-safe graphics driver", it will be ok.

then, i switch into traditional BIOS mode, and press into 800 *600 *32bit, then it is ok with hdmi mode.( auto into the right 1024 * 600 *32bit .)

what happened?

You certainly have a file named vesa in /boot/home/config/settings/kernel folder and in that file a line mode 1024 600 32
That’s the reason why the driver switches to that resolution.
Since Haiku switches to graphic mode very soon, it is hard to see the difference but, when you boot in traditional BIOS mode, the system starts in text mode and it’s up to the OS driver to initialise graphic mode. When you boot in (U)EFI mode, the system starts in a graphic mode initialized by the BIOS (aka framebuffer) and later the OS driver takes the end. That’s why the behaviour can be different.
BTW, if you are always using failsafe driver, you may want to edit the file named kernel in /boot/home/config/settings/kernel and uncomment the line fail_safe_video_mode true

so, when traditional BIOS mode, and press into 800 *600 *32bit, haiku try all resolution of graphics card or vesa .

when it display with the Resolution of vesa, does it also use graghics card ?
just get a Resolution number from the vesa file ?

i see the screen information is hdmi and graghics card’s name.

vesa is not a hardware thing; it is a set of resolutions that are commonly supported and are defined as standard. So, it is always using the graphics card.
When the OS starts, it knows nothing about screen or graphics card capabilities.
It is asking first for informations from screen (that are called EDID), you may find those in the beginning of the syslog. Then the system interrogates drivers one by one to see if one fits your hardware and learn about your graphics card capabilities. With these informations collected, it makes a list with modes that are in both your graphics card and your monitor modes. It will allow you to set one of these modes. If it finds a vesa file with a valid mode (one that is on the list), it will use this one.
Unfortunately, some screens do not always provide correct EDID, making things more complicated.

1 Like

https://discuss.haiku-os.org/uploads/default/original/2X/3/324242de072e5402b7a611d19864cb39b0b7d4b2.png

so,does it be hdmi and accelerate of graghics card ?

Acceleration is never used in Haiku currently. VESA and framebuffer generic drivers will not be slower, or faster, than other drivers.

HDMI is a connector. Of course it is used, otherwise the image would not get to your display.

I am not sure what your question is…

Here are the 3 ways we can handle graphics in Haiku:

• Native drivers: in theory this gives us maximal control on the video hardware. You can set any resolution and refresh rates. The downside: we need to write specific code for each videocard generation
  • VESA: this works by having some code in the videocard itself. There is a standard way to call it. So, we don’t have to write any specific code. This is an old standard designed for DOS, so it is a bit tricky to get it working on modern systems, but we can do it (we run a small emulator and we run the code from the videocard inside it). In this case, we only get a list of resolutions decided by the videocard manufacturer. Sometimes they will just use a fixed list. Sometimes they will automatically use the resolution of the display that’s connected.
  • “Framebuffer”: this is the replacement for VESA that doesn’t rely on old BIOS/DOS features. In this case, the computer firmware (EFI) configures the display for us, and tell us “this is the memory address where the graphics is, just write your pixels there”. We can change the resolution, but only from the bootloader, not after the OS is started. So, in that case, you get one single resolution in Screen preferences, but you can select one from the boot menu.
5 Likes

this is much clear.
thanks.

Ses explications sont un peu brouillonnes et la traduction du chinois vers l’anglais n’aide pas mais, si j’ai bien compris, c’est à peu près ça.

L’écran de son Mini PC a un mode natif 1024 600 32 bit. Haiku essaie par défaut de démarrer en 10024x768, ce qui bien sur ne fonctionne pas. Il doit donc forcer le mode 640x480 ou le mode 800x600 au démarrage.
Après, avec un connecteur VGA, ça a l’air de fonctionner. Haiku semble utiliser le pilote intel-extreme, l’affichage bascule directement sur la résolution native et tout semble fonctionner correctement, excepté pour les résolutions trop élevées.
Avec un connecteur HDMI, lorsque l’ordinateur démarre en mode BIOS/CSM, et tout se passe correctement, comme en VGA. Par contre, en UEFI, le framebuffer ne proposant pas la résolution native, la seule option est de démarrer avec le pilote failsafe.
Ces différences de comportement le rendent perplexe.
Ceci dit, je ne suis pas certain qu’il ai utilisé le même écran pour les tests en VGA (sur certaines images c’est un 17", sur d’autres un 21"). Pas sur non plus qu’il ai adapté si besoin les paramètres BIOS lors des tests HDMI. Pas facile de débrouiller tout ça.

1 Like

the same mini pc, the same monitor.
it is only 7inch.

Haiku do not get the right information.

Wrong EDID from the monitor?

yes,this is my meaning.

sorry about that.

yes,i feel it.

and, i see some 3d-application also live in haikudepot.

edid1
So, I guess this one is correct. It is booting in BIOS mode with VGA connector, right?

edid2
This one is booting in UEFI mode with VGA connector?

edid3
And finally, this one is booting in UEFI mode with a HDMI connector.

This is odd. Not only manufacturer but also model and size are wrong. What about BIOS mode and HDMI? Is it correct in this case or another completely wrong different value?

yes.

where i get the information which you need?

Well, it is the same information (what says Screen app) but in a different case.
We have 2 variables BIOS mode/UEFI and VGA/HDMI. That makes 4 possibilities.
We already know 3 values. If you boot in BIOS mode with the HDMI connector, we will know the 4th.

Also, it would be interesting to know if wrong values are constant or random. For example, if you boot again in UEFI mode with HDMI connector, does it always say it’s a Daewoo 21,5" monitor or does it change every time you boot?
If it’s stable, it’s probably an error in the reading of EDID. If it is random, it could mean that in fact, there’s incomplete or no EDID information to read.

It is not uncommon for displays to send different info between VGA and HDMI connectors. None of it is more or less correct, it’s just what the manufacturer decided to put there.

Anyway, I think the display name doesn’t really matter to anyone, right? The more interesting info would be if the allowed videomodes are different in each case, and if they are valid (I have a display with broken EDID here that tries to advertise 1080i support but ends up getting 1920x540 progressive instead).

bios+vga =RGT 7’2 intel atom(broadwell GT2 ULT)

UEFI+vga=显示器 intel atom(broadwell GT2 ULT)

bios+hdmi=Daewoo Electronics Company Ltd HDMI 21.5’ intel atom(broadwell GT2 ULT)

UEFI+hdmi=显示器 Framebuffer Driver(Framebuffer)

bios+vga,it will be ZTY LM1710(VGA)17’ intel atom(broadwell GT2 ULT) at some time. and, it be 1024 * 600 *32 .

UEFI+vga,it have no 1024 * 600 *32 at all.

bios+hdmi, it will be auto 1024 * 600 *32 which also display with linux-mint.

UEFI+hdmi,it have no 1024 * 600 * 32 at all.

UEFI+hdmi, it have to use fail-safe graphics driver.

显示器,it mean the monitor.

the same mini-pc , the same monitor.
with R1beta4(hrev56578+95)