Haiku on Proxmox

Has anyone got Haiku running in Proxmox? The various hardware configurations that I have tried so far end up with Haiku getting to the red rocket and stopping.
I am sure it works in some config, since at its base Proxmox uses KVM I believe.
Thanks!

Sounds like the video driver it wants to use does not work, but the fallback one does. Try booting with failsafe graphics.
(either select this in the bootloader or edit the kernel settings file in the image)

Select Standard VGA when created the VM, then virtuio for network and scsi…

I just booted to desktop that way, and form some reason networking doesn’t work correctly in the nightly but otherwise it works fine. I’m getting a DHCP address and DNS set but things dont’ work right after that for some reason. (Tried Intel and Realtek emulated cards also in addition to Virtuio).

Edit:
Figured that out just select Ostype = other rather than Linux and it will work networking at all. So to recap, default settings , select the ISO, select Other OS, select Standard VGA , Virtuio SCSI and Virtuio net. And it should just work. This is on the latest release version of Proxmox 7.4. Edit: upgraded to proxmox 8.0.4 and it continues to work the same.

3 Likes

For running Haiku in a VM, I’ve had the best luck with VMWare…and there’s a free version for non-commercial use

This worked great, thanks!
Could we get the virtualization help guide updated to maybe include this?

Just adding some info on on going testing of this setup. I found that for some reason networking isnt’ completely stable under KVM … not sure why also haiku itself seems somewhat unstable if you try to update it you get networking lockups.

In any case that doesn’t seem right to me as probably a lot of the developers are using QEMU / KVM to host Haiku.

Are you using the virtio nic? Works fine for me at least.

Yes I was but I also tried the others, didn’t make any difference. I mean in web+ I can get around 200mbps down currently but pkgman often crawls at around 3MBps on the latest release, previously it was around 500KBps when I was noticing the problems, and I noticed this across several releases from the past few months (say December - late January at least).

Also it would mostly occur when there were a large number of updates required. So I can’t confirm if its fixed or not since the recent release doesn’t have many updates yet.

Is the issue just with pkgman hitting the repositories then?
If there is something I can try to replicate please let me know. I am on already on a nightly and updated as of yesterday.

No I am pretty sure it is a problem in the haiku networking stack as well as package management itself.