Haiku on Mac

Audio typically works after a warm reboot from OSX, headphone jack only.

2 Likes

Havent tried. Thats next. Thanks !

This “framebuffer” driver. Any way i can choose a lower resolution. Its 3840 x 2160 now.

For the framebuffer driver you need to change the resolution in ~/config/settings/kernel/drivers/vesa and reboot (yeah, just like in Windows 95, you need to reboot for changing the display resolution).

2 Likes

Hi Haiku crew!

I have been using Haiku on an old 32 bit T43 Thinkpad and loving it. Last night finally got it running on an early 2011 MBP (Dual HT i7, 8Gb RAM, 500GB hdd, pre retina) after a bit of jiggery pokery (installation to main HDD / manual boot partition/loader setup and Intel video driver suppression). It’s as zippy as greased lightening, but it’s also as unstable as a drunk toddler - constant kernel panic tantrums. To the point that I had trouble running os/app package updates and installing larger programs through the package manager.

4eb2c147b953880f

What works:

• Full res graphics (using Vesa Driver)
  • 1GB Ethernet (Broadcom)
  • Single-click trackpad (no Multitouch, no RMB zone, no tap-to-LMB)

Sadly Missed:

• Intel Gfx driver (Brigness controls!)
  • Audio
  • Wifi & Bluetooth
  • Keyboard Backlight

Question to anyone with 64 bit Haiku experience - is this instability just the current state of 64 bit Haiku, is it a MBP thing, or should I I be problem solving My setup and machine? It seems the problem may be related to utilising the ethernet, but I am not sure about this yet. The longest the machine has stayed conscious is when I did not have it physically connected to ethernet.

1 Like

This seems to be not yet reported bug, please report it to https://dev.haiku-os.org (“failed to acquire spinlock for a long time” in _user_poll).

1 Like

Will do - thanks :slight_smile:

Hey there and thanks for testing out Haiku on a Mac! :slight_smile: Are you using the 64-bit edition? This is usually what I load on Macs past late 2007; the 32-bit edition is really only needed for compatibility with BeOS apps or first gen/Core Duo-based Intel Macs (2006-07)

Heya - yes, I’m running the 64 bit version - a fresh install to the Hard drive. Waddlesplash @ Dev.haiku-os.org suggested disabling SMP to see if that helps; I’m going to try that when I sit down with the machine this evening.

It seems to have something to do with use of Ethernet, or at least networked apps… This morning I ran scummvm for about 30 mins, playing DOTT with the Ethernet unplugged, and it seemed happy. 30 seconds after connecting Ethernet and browsing the web with Otter browser and yet another kernel panic. (Mileage varies, sometimes I can browse for maybe 10 mins before it crashes).

Anyway, will experiment to see what happens. I’m very keen to cultivate the MBP as my Haiku “daily driver”.

I’ve got a MacBook Pro 13-inch from 2020 running macOS Big Sur. Can i run Haiku on my MacBook Pro without any virtualization programs for dual-booting with macOS Big Sur?

idk if you can or not, the latest MacBook Pro I’ve tested personally is a 2011, others here I think have tested a 2014 or so, so for now I’d say go with a VM or virtualization client like VirtualBox (free, but you’ll need to allow it in Security in System Preferences); for good networking, you’ll also want to change the card to an Intel in your virtual machine prefs.

Does someone dualboot Haiku with Windows XP?
I wanna use Haiku on a Mac.

Why asking dual boot of XP, then you want use Mac???

1 Like

I have managed to run Haiku on my Apple MacBookPro laptop (2012) - everything is working, except the wireless card and it takes long time to boot up.

On iMac 27" Retina 2015 - I could not even start it becasue it does not see the USB stick with Haiku.

On Dell desktop Optiplex 755 everything is working!!!

1 Like

Congratulations on leaving Facebook!

1 Like

So tbh I stayed on Facebook actually after some of my friends asked me about it, and help mod a few groups on it, but I’m not as active posting on it as I used to be, fb is a data mine but kinda a necessary evil :cry:

I just booted the latest Nightly (hrev55041_x64) from a USB stick on my 2012 MacBook Pro with no special boot mangers or settings-

Just hold the “Option” Key during the bootup.
The only weird thing is the option is called “Windows” (Yuk!) just select that and all is well.
Not sure if sound is working but other than that looks good…

Evil yes.
Necessary? questionable.

I’ve been trying to boot Haiku from a USB Stick (beta 2 and latest nightly anyboot images) on a MacBookPro16,1 (i7 “Coffee Lake”, I7-9750H) but got no luck. I was expecting it not to work but wanted to give it a try regardless and figured that it may be worth sharing here.

I disabled all the system protections, allows external boot am also seeing the external disk when holding option to select the boot volume. However as soon as I hit enter the screen just turns black and nothing happens. Because this happens to fast I also don’t see a chance to hit shift to enter boot-options.

Now, from what I’ve read this maybe due to unsupported graphics (Intel UHD Graphics 630 + AMD Radeon Pro 5500M), but shouldn’t the VESA kick in?
Anyhow, maybe that machine is also just too new, some USB-3 incompatibility, or apple is doing something smart to prevent this.

1 Like

The boot screen is always in VESA mode anyway. Other drivers are only loaded when app_server starts and we show the desktop.

So if you don’t even get there, your problem is not related to the other video drivers.

You can try to get a boot log, but in this situation it is a bit difficult. Your options are:

• Using a serial port (you need a “legacy” style one, either directly on the motherboard, or as an expresscard or maybe an M.2 port or something like this - USB won’t work)
  • Trying to reboot the machine, get back to the bootmenu, and see if the syslog from the previous boot is available from there - then you may be able to save it to an USB drive, or take pictures of it