Haiku on Mac

No, the FreeBSD drivers are used but it requires recompiling.

If we had more drivers we would just include them in the Haiku release. There would be no reason to not do that. If it’s not in the release, it’s not available anywhere. We’re not just trying to make your life harder by hiding the drivers in a secret place.

It seems to be a simple miniPCIe card, so replacing should be easily possible. I can be wrong tho.
In worst case you can swap the whole computer.

I’m can’t get r1b3 to boot on an old MacBookPro 8,1, must be from around 2010. Non retina.
I am using refind with the 64Bit download of haiku.
I got the glitches, so enabled fail safe mode. Glitches gone.
But I always end up having the attached kernel panic. Seems to be something with font and cache?
I once got it to boot and I could open drive setup but when I wanted to reformat a partition to BFS KDL fired with the same error message.
I tried all kinds of safe mode options and combinations but none works.

Filed a Report: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/17181

2 Likes

Yes, please file a report.

Thanks, done that, added the Link to my initial post for reference.

Sorry I’ve been out of this thread for so long, pretty sure a 2010 MacBook can boot Haiku (I got my unibody MB to run Haiku Nightly with no sound or AirPort/wifi but it runs stable); a more solid way to start Haiku than using rEFInd is to directly write a prepped disk image using kvm and Disk Utility (for now) so it doesn’t kp trying to find the startup disk. ngl it’s not fun and it’s limited to the amount of space in the image (meaning an 8GB image will have 8 GB available) doing the image way, so I asked about a way to boot from images directly like some Linux bootloaders like grub-efi and syslinux-efi can do in another thread, but Haiku doesn’t boot like this yet.

So… what I need to do to get this project (Haiku on Mac) legit working is find a way to boot Haiku from an EFI volume Mac style, but my life’s been crazy lately and I’ve been using phone data for the time being, no cap. So for now, my projects are totally stuck where they’re at like I haven’t reopened my hardware list yet or done my beta3 review yet. When I got free time and my iMac set back up, I’ll see if I can start working on all my Haiku stuff again :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I tried the latest Beta, but I think it failed directly from the image on an SD card. So I made a USB and I think it booted from EFI, but stopped at the boot screen. This is on a 2012 Pre retina 13" MacBook Pro with a core i5. Edit - oh, and this was the 64bit version.

Okay - tried again… If I boot from USB (no bootloader is installed, this is directly from the volume selector you get holding option on boot), if I select the “Windows” partition, I get a black screen with blinking cursor. If I pick EFI, I get the Haiku boot screen, but it never lights up anything and just sits there. The spacebar does not get any boot menu options… I’ll try an external keyboard too. Nope - just hangs.

Because I use my Macbook for “work” I can’t risk it not booting so I can’t add in the refit/refind bootloader at this stage.

My unibody MB from 2010 boots from Haiku USB disk nicely, but have neither WiFi not ethernet. Can you try disabling SMP and leave just one processor? Sometimes this worked for me (admittedly, I see this kind of KDL only on AMD CPU).

Disabling this shouldn’t be needed on these (from my testing so far anyways) but it might be worth a try if it helps on yours

If it’s reading ‘Windows’ then afaik the Mac is trying to fall back on its CSM layer (which has worked for me so far with an imaged install, but trickier with a traditional Haiku one). It does work though if you can remove the SSD or HD from the Mac, install Haiku on it on a spare PC, then pop it back in :slight_smile: I’ve tried it a few times and it works on 2007-era stuff. On my Blackbook, pressing something like space at the Haiku splash usually helps it complete when it gets stuck, but yours isn’t getting to the boot menu, so it’s prob not finding Haiku at all? I’ve had the keyboard thing happen with me too when I tried an EFI hack once that didn’t work (where I tried to start Haiku from another disk from another disk; there’s a weird reason for why I was trying this). With the EFI not sure how to reply really… I guess what I could say is again to try an imaged install with qemu + kvm with ovmf efi on a Linux box, then write it out directly and see if this works? It may bring up an EFI shell after but it might work, maybe; I know this method works with a legacy table on a 2011.

But anyways like I posted earlier it’ll be a while before I can get back to all the stuff I was working on, but there is a way I’ve thought of (I just need to sit down and build it) where I think I can get Haiku to multi-boot.

It does hit the boot screen, it just stalls. I will post some me pictures when I get a chance.

1 Like

Haiku is running on nicely on my early-2009 white MacBook (A1181). It runs a little hot with the fans going, but it’s a hot, humid day and I’m probably spoilt by my current fanless MacBook Air.

I have wifi working now too, which I’m really pleased about. Previously I had to use Ethernet, but I was able to change the wifi card for an Atheros card (if only today’s MacBooks were as open…) and that did the job. 3 pounds well spent.

If you’re looking at one of these old Macs I can also recommend a USB-C to Magsafe 1 adapter which is very convenient if you want to share the PSU with your regular laptop.

I still have to disable SMP in the safe-mode settings on boot but I’m hoping that will be fixed in time (happy to provide log output if I know where and how…)

Overall, a very happy Haikuer and I’m drinking tea from my old official Haiku mug to celebrate.

3 Likes

You can make it stick in the kernel config file. I think it is /system/config/settings/kernel or maybe it is in the home/config/…
Cant check right now, sorry.

Having trouble getting an early 2015 Air to boot B3 Anyboot. Never shows up in Startup Manager as an option.

Had found some reference to machines that just wouldn’t boot from USB, but using the exact same USB stick written the same way (ISO to disk using Etcher) but with Ubuntu LTS as the ISO works perfectly well.

Image hash is correct, I’ve downloaded it separately and written it using Etcher on two entirely different machines. Also tried burning it to a DVD and using a USB DVD drive - no different

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Have you tried to chainload it from refind?

Offers “boot legacy OS”, but is actually unable to boot it - selecting it just blanks the screen for a second and then returns to rEFInd. Happens with CD or DVD

That its seeing it as “legacy OS” rather than an UEFI boot suggests it’s not detecting the UEFI bootloader at all.

64 bit works with rEFInd (can’t quickly try it without, without uninstalling it).

On digging around I found a not very obvious reference to needing 64 bit for UEFI support.

I have my PIII and PPC603 R5 machines for Gobe Productive and my tiny collection of commercial BeOS games if required.

Didn’t realise the wireless on this seems to have exceptionally poor support on anything other than MacOS and possibly Windows with Boot Camp drivers - time to see if I can find an Asix USB ethernet around, I should have some in work.

is it possible to dualboot haiku on mac os x 10.7?
I have a problem that is when I enter in the boot menu I don’t see the hard disk partition in which I installed the haiku system.

Is this with rEFInd bootloader?

What is refind?