Haiku on Mac

On recent macOS, you prob need to enable Terminal access in Privacy in System Preferences. Then use sudo -s to elevate to root and try the commands :smiley_cat:

Diver: Tried sudo ./refind-install

Same deal !

Seems like the .conf is faulty. Could you try to

1. Boot in recovery
  2. Open up the folder of refind
  3. Run mountesp
  4. cd to /Volumes/ESP/ (and then wherever refind is on that disk)
  5. Locate the refind.conf file and check if all entries in the bottom are either disabled or working.
    If you’re not sure you could make a backup of the file and rename the refind.conf.sample to refind.conf

And reboot

Not sure how comfortable you are with command line. Seems you can find you’re way around from the other posts (concerning csrutil etc ). If you need more details let me know!

1 Like

Thanks. Did what you said. What lines in refind.conf do i need to investigate ?

I would look at syntax errors and at the entries at the bottom. In the sample.conf all of them are disabled but serve as examples of how you can add menu items to the refind boot menu.

So if you’re unsure just use the sample file. I’ll try to find my file and send my haiku entry.

edit:
@humungus here’s my Haiku entry. I copied a haiku logo to the refind icons folder:

menuentry “Haiku” {
icon \EFI\refind\icons\haiku.png
volume “Haiku”
loader \EFI\haiku_loader.efi
enabled
}

Thank you for helping out. More dumb questions :slight_smile: I tried to edit the conf file but it wont let me save. Permission problem ?

Hm… could be. After installing on my machine I could only boot with the usb in the machine.

So I tried this: macos - Linux on Macbook, dual-boot, without rEFind - Ask Different

And now I have an install that doesn’t need refind or the usb drive to be inserted.

Just to be sure, can you run haiku from the usb drive? The newest beta works for me without needing to use extra steps like refind.

No, i cannot boot the USB with Haiku on it. It shows up in Startup Manager, but as soon as i choose the USB disk, the screen goes black. After 15-20 secs, the Mac reboots.
Strange thing is, it used to work on Catalina, so i downgraded from Big Sur til Catalina to use Haiku. But of course it didnt work. So i am now on Big Sur again.

Hm… and refind doesn’t work yet right? For now I would replace the existing conf with the sample and save the other as a backup. Possibly write to disk with sudo rights.

I can look tomorrow to see if I can find or upload the haiku_loader.efi

If you install it on the EFI partition it should work too.

On my MacBookPro 11.3 (mid 2014), both USB boot and SSD install refind work 100%. I didn’t modify any parameters.

1 Like

@humungus if it keeps saying operation not supported then first resolve the right to write to that partition. What kind of MacBook do you have?

Another question. Haiku is running smoothly. Haha just can’t seem to install the WiFi firmware. I couldn’t run “install-wifi-firmwares.sh because I don’t have an Ethernet port or adapter on my MacBook. So I tried to install the files separately and run those parts of the bash file that we’re relevant. But it seems it doesn’t interact with the chip as i hoped.

How would I go about this. I already tried to roll my own package having procured another firmware file from the Debian repository (bcrm 43620 mac or something similar). Anyone else solved this.

I have an iMac late 2015
Its the EFI partition, right? So how do i make sure i am allowed to write to it ?

Your WiFi is unsupported, but probably you can replace it with a supported one, or use a usb ethernet adapter.

Prepend your command with sudo maybe?

Hm… if you want to install the haiku_loader.efi directly than yes. Otherwise the ESP needs to be mounted which refind will do for you.

That would prove to be very hard. The MacBook is a unibody build. I cannot replace the hardware. Also I would like to solve this for other people coming from similar hardware.

I was wondering if I could use a binary driver from another is and somehow use it in haiku. As I learned that the FreeBSD drivers were used to get other network cards to work. Anyone any ideas?

No, the FreeBSD drivers are used but it requires recompiling.

If we had more drivers we would just include them in the Haiku release. There would be no reason to not do that. If it’s not in the release, it’s not available anywhere. We’re not just trying to make your life harder by hiding the drivers in a secret place.

It seems to be a simple miniPCIe card, so replacing should be easily possible. I can be wrong tho.
In worst case you can swap the whole computer.