Haiku monthly activity report, January 2019 | Haiku Project

Welcome to the second monthly report for 2019! PulkoMandy and a few others are representing Haiku at FOSDEM, so, I’m covering for him yet again. (Hooray, more writing about myself in the third person!)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/waddlesplash/2019-02-01_haiku_activity_report_january_2019/
5 Likes

Terminal now accepts an argument for setting the initial working directory. This makes things much simpler when using Shortcuts to open a Terminal.

1 Like

Huge work done, thank you all.
about the EFI, is it fully functional, or it is better to wait for beta2.

EFI is there. I don’t know about fully functional. It is part of the official image downloads. The media burned from these images is capable of being booted via EFI. For the latest updates on EFI and everything else, it’s highly suggested to follow the nightly builds instead of using the Beta. The Beta is a code freeze release. It won’t see these updates aside from security patches. The nightlies are generally high quality, with a few hiccups here and there.

EFI was fully functional as of beta1, with the exception of booting from CDs. That’s now resolved in the nightlies. So, either should be completely fine. (I’ve booted Haiku via EFI natively since late 2016.)

1 Like

Always awesome to read another activity report from Haiku! :slight_smile: Thanks for all the tireless work that gets put into the project! :star_struck:

3 Likes

OK, thanks
I did the installation (in vesa mode) and changed grub.
But at the start he sends me the error:
can not find “grubx64”
I must have missed something.
my “40_custom”:

menuentry "Haiku" {

load_video
insmod part_msdos
insmod chain
search --fs-uuid --set = root B246-3EC0
chainloader ($ root) /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
}

An opinion ?

Each line here needs to end in a ;
Otherwise grub tries to run it all as one command , which it doesn’t like.

The last line doesn’t need a ;

Make it like this:

menuentry "Haiku" {
load_video;
insmod part_msdos;
insmod chain;
search --fs-uuid --set = root B246-3EC0;
chainloader ($ root) /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
}

Thanks for getting the LibreOffice file types rocked out!

Indeed. To be clear, that was another solid submission of our (fairly) new contributer Rob Gill. :tada:

3 Likes

I would add that when using GRUB2 with EFI, you almost certainly also have GPT disk partition schema, not MBR. So instead of loading:

insmod part_msdos;

you probably will do better with:

insmod part_gpt;

(Anyway, the appropriate module is loaded depending on the partition schema you use)

1 Like

As always, great news. Thank you for improving WiFi experience and specifically for realtekwifi!

2 Likes

Thanks Rob! Welcome!

Another month of great progress from the dev team! Thanks for the hard work everyone.

USB wifi would be awesome!