Haiku monthly activity report - 09/2017 | Haiku Project

I was kindly reminded over the IRC channel that it's time for the monthly report once again. So, there we go!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/pulkomandy/2017-10-07_haiku_monthly_activity_report_september_2017/
1 Like

Thanks for another nice summary!

WRT the xterm thingy, when I ssh into my media player and start nano, it says: "Error opening terminal: xterm-256color."
Who’s to blame, the media player (xios ds) or Haiku?

is remote app_server included by default now or does it still need to be compiled in?

This would be because the media player does not have the appropriate entry in its termcap database.

export TERM=xterm

(before ssh) should avoid the problem.

Thank you, that works!

Thank you for your hard work and for keeping us informed on what happens.

Some time ago I started to use Haiku more (x86_gcc2 on laptop and x86_64 on desktop) and I can say, Haiku gets better, more stable and with more useful software available.

Please, do not hesitate to go forward, even if this breaks something sometimes. I really like the direction Haiku has and the progress it made recently. For now, Haiku is the easiest to install and manage OS I know of (and I use Linux, macOS, Windows, Solaris, FreeBSD besides Haiku). The project is really well managed and the technical decisions are really well weighted. Keep doing the great OS!

2 Likes

The remote app server sounds very spiffy!

I keep hoping to see some Mesa3D hardware acceleration news… but multi head and display port support are very welcome as well it sounds like a lot of work and testing as well.

3 Likes

We need more sys-level devs (among things that need a lot of love is MediaKit, audio drivers, USB3 and better USB support in general, and so on) and 3rd-party devs will not hurt either.

at less a parcial 3d support…

we’ve had that for awhile already

about graphics, it would be great to see fully working drivers for at least few specific [nvidia or amd] cards with Vulkan support.

1 Like

intel - ati/amd cause are opensource, nvidia nouveu are far to be a good driver :3 sadly… but would be good have at less a n64 emulator full 3dhardware acceleration xD

Modesetting and 2D acceleration for AMD/nVidia will be huge already. At this point we’re stuck in vesa and often times with incorrect resolution on widescreen displays.

I thought Clover worked for you My new HaikuBox i7 Quad System in Blue Case (Maingear Potenza)

Back in 2013 Clover bootloader worked with Alpha 3, that was before Package Manager. Now Clover can’t see the Haiku loader. All I know, that a very recent build of Clover cannot find usb drive or HDD partition with Haiku on it. Hope that changes after Beta 1 is released. Without proper video drivers or inability to hot-patch VBIOS and load Haiku in VESA mode, I’m stuck with incorrect resolution and over-stretched image on my widescreen displays (Laptop and desktop PC).

P.S.
Loaded Haiku from USB stick on friend’s laptop with built-in Intel video chip and Haiku successfully recognized the correct resolution even in VESA mode w/o any hacks. Anyone with older laptop that has similar integrated graphics chip like ATi/AMD RS690M or more recent discreet nVidia cards like 5xx/6xx/7xx series are, most likely, out of luck like me. Clover with Haiku support or implementation of similar feature in Haiku’s own bootloader could be a saving grace for us.

Why would Clover not work because of package management? The bootloader is still in the same place (at the start of the partition). So from the bootloader point of view, package manager does not change anything.

Anyway, another alternative, and probably what we’ll be going with in the long term, is to use UEFI. Since there is no BIOS there, there is also no VESA. It is replaced with a different, more modern interface, in which we are more likely to get a native video mode. I’d suggest to try that.

1 Like

When will rust get a Haiku package published? I’d love to see rust on haiku-files.org!

Well a version of Rust (1.22) is already available as a Haiku package. But it still needs to be updated to the latest stable release (1.24.1).

1 Like