Haiku development in 2024?

What sort of things might develop for Haiku in 2024?

Ports? Web apps / browsers? Programming languages / IDEs? VMs? A native shell? Some security?

2 Likes

Archive this thread until this time next year, then reply :wink:

1 Like

Support for audio devices of the USB is very necessary !

2 Likes

Who knows? Maybe I’ll participate in Google Summer of Code again. If I do, maybe I’ll work on finishing integrating webkit 2 with WebPositive. I know that a lot of people want a better browsing experience :slight_smile:

16 Likes

You can help with that now too ; )

3 Likes

I wish I could do GSOC, but I am under 18. :cry:

3 Likes

You don’t need Google to contribute to free software :wink:
In fact,you don’t need Google at all,but that’s a different story.
If you need to earn some money with contributing,you can create an account at https://liberapay.com or https://opencollective.com or something like that.
Then,Haiku users who find your work valuable can setup a monthly/weekly or one-time donation to you.
I guess that work on Webkit would get quite many donations,as that it something many people want.
I already donate to Haiku itself on Liberapay,but I may add another small monthly donation to one of you as a starter bonus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes :smiley:

It’s hard to make any predictions. Personally I plan to continue whichever things I’m working on, depending on my available time between other activities (full time work, singing in a choir and also helping to run the small nonprofit that backs it, and a few other projects). It will depend very much on my mood of the day what I decide to work on.

5 Likes

I would like to see file sharing and networking more closely integrated into the system. This it seems is SMB as Windows, MacOS, Linux and UNIX use it.
Have been following Haiku since BeOS went belly up - great shame that - and congratulations on the lateat very stable (as far as I have found) version. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Indeed, that’s a possibility. I doubt it’ll ever pay as much as GSoC, and probably not even minimum wage :sweat_smile:, so I’d have to do it because I find it personally interesting as opposed to for the pay.

Currently, however, my interests are in Haiku-PyAPI. It’s a nice little project where I can make a contribution with even 30 minutes of time. Maybe someday I’ll become interested in taking on a larger project, but not for the foreseeable future…

9 Likes

Of course,you won’t get rich with something like Liberapay.
At least for 99% of the developers it can not replace their fulltime job,but it’s a nice addition to it that allows the community to give something back and increase motivation.

Haiku-PyAPI is also a really nice project that I’ve been following since the beginning.
Now,if I knew Python any better than C++,I guess it could be really useful for me.

3 Likes

I’m actually talking about the mentoring, not the money.

2 Likes

As far as I know,the mentoring is done by experienced developers from the Haiku community,not from Google.
Getting help from Haiku developers also doesn’t really need GSOC.
They’re always around here at the forum or in the chat.
I’m pretty sure you’d also find someone who is willing to mentor you for a longer time if that’s what you need,just ask.

1 Like

Interesting idea… maybe once the summer break starts, somewhere in december… and maybe about improving the state of Rust on Haiku.

1 Like

I am looking forward to 2024 when I will finally learn how to use the API and I will be able to create my first program exclusively for Haiku.

5 Likes

My summer break has started… who should I ask?
My timezone is UTC+11.

2 Likes

Maybe you can ask @waddlesplash or @PulkoMandy ?

Or maybe @nielx?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you want to ask. We’re available here and on irc if you have any questions. For Rust I think nielx would be the person to ask indeed. I have no idea about it.

i have a few boring ideas for 2024… mostly keeping things up to date
llvm18
openssl3
and maybe finishing off DWARF5 support in the Debugger

…and who knows maybe i’ll get some new inspiration to return to the arm port :upside_down_face:

8 Likes