Haiku coding sprint 2021

No, you can join on IRC, and Jitsi only needs accounts for moderators, to open the channels.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that Jitsi hasn’t been updated since 2017, and seems to require Java 8 to run. It still throws an error about not finding libjawt.so, and I don’t know if that’s important or not. Anyone have advice on how to use the client on a more modern Linux desktop? I’m using Ubuntu 20.04.

For those who’ve never used Jitsi before (me), will there be instructions on how to connect?

You don’t need the Java client, there’s a web-based interface.
Probably won’t work in Web+ but then it doesn’t support webcams yet anyway.
On GNU/Linux I use chromium because there are still some issues in Firefox sometimes, and it makes others use more bandwidth.
Yes I need to write up the connection info and howto.

2 Likes

I figured I’d want to use a separate machine so I can stay in the chat and be able to reboot Haiku if needed.

1 Like

There is some unfortunate confusion here. What we will use is not Jitsi, but Jitsi Meet, which is a modern web based thing. No Java client needed.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don’t even know about the old Jitsi, call the new Jitsi Meet just “jitsi”, and people not aware of the whole thing end up trying to use the wrong software.

Jitsi Meet does provide clients for mobile phones, but on desktop you just need to navigate to a webpage with a webrtc compatible browser (Firefox, Chrome, or any modern browser should do).

3 Likes

RE: Jitsi Meet

FWIW there’s also an electron version: Jitsi Meet Electron

I’ve been using this one for a couple of years. I like it (despite having yet another electron app :slight_smile: ) because it removes any browser compatibility or plugin-conflict problems. It also means I can quit all my other apps and just run Jitsi (Meet) on its own.

2 Likes

Ok, so we have two Jitsi Meet rooms available:

You can join in when you want, there’s no fixed schedule anyway. If you want to give a talk, or teach something you can propose here in advance of course.

Beware it activates both webcam and microphone when you join in, so make sure you have clothes on before joining in. :sweat_smile: Also it sometimes happens the connection break and it tries to rejoin and reactivates the webcam+mic, so be aware of this. You don’t have to use a webcam by the way, you can still participate with only audio if you want or don’t have one.

Click on the “Membre AAA” text on your thumbnail to set your nickname. :slight_smile: If you right-click it you can flip your image, by default it does a mirror and not everyone likes that.

If you connect to the second channel in another tab, make sure you mute both mic and audio output of the other tab to avoid larsen effect.

You can use keyboard shortcuts in the interface, like ‘m’ to toggle mic, ‘v’ for video (webcam)… They are documented here. The icons at the bottom are in order:

• toggle mic (and there’s a menu to change audio sources and sink from the detault),
  • toggle video (and webcam change),
  • screen sharing,
  • internal chat, although IRC is easier to use I think,
  • raise your hand (to tell you want to speak during a talk),
  • toggle tile view,
  • your own parameters,
  • other options,
  • and quit the channel.

The server is hosted by a member of a non-profit, over a fiber link, and has been tested with at least 30 connections so it should work fine. Still here are some technical hints:

• Chromium (or Chrome) seems to work best still for this, Firefox has or at least used to cause issues before version 80, so depending on your version that might work or not for you.
  • While it does work on a mobile device, they usually go quite hot, and sometimes it also drains the battery even with the charger plugged in, so prefer a full computer.
  • While it’s quite stable, it can happen that you miss video feeds, or audio, or sometimes other can’t hear you, usually reloading the tab fixes that.
  • The tiled view seems to use more bandwidth, so if yours is limited you can switch to the other view.
  • Screen sharing is restricted to 5 fps, but that’s usually enough for slideshows.
  • Webcam resolution is restricted to preserve bandwidth, and some webcams don’t like that. If you can’t get it to work, try this:
    • Open another tab to this site,
    • Select the webcam in the list,
    • click “Quick Scan”, and wait for the test to finish,
    • then force VGA by clicking in the resolution list to force it,
    • finally force reload the Jitsi Meet tab. That worked for me on an external webcam it didn’t want to switch to.
11 Likes

Had this port list for a while of projects (mostly games) that could be ported and/or packaged for HaikuPorts in the future:

• Anodyne
  • Tales of Maj’Eyal
  • GNU FreeDink
  • Machines: Wired for War
  • NoGravity (broken, needs fixes)
  • Epicinium
  • HyperRogue
  • Pioneer Space Sim
  • FreeOrion
  • Destination Sol
  • OpenSurge
  • Singularity: Endgame
  • Unvanquished
  • Hedgewars
  • OpenSpades
  • Tanglet (needs Qt 6)
  • Kapow
  • CuteMaze (needs Qt 6)
  • Hex-a-hop
  • BlockOut II
  • Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart
  • Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
  • Cube
  • Cube 2: Sauerbraten
  • AssaultCube
  • Red Eclipse 2
  • Warfork
  • DDraceNetwork
  • Triplane Classic

Sharing it here as suggestions for others interested in packaging for HaikuPorts to work on during the sprint.

3 Likes

I recommend adding Frozen Bubble 2 and Xash3D, I would love for those to be on Haiku

1 Like

Xash3D is already in HaikuPorts.

1 Like

LOL really? sorry about that, either way it’s awesome that’s on there.

Ugh no, that’s way too dangerous, I recall the BeGeistert where I showed Frozen Bubble working on BeOS was… not very productive :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Might be good updating OpenTTD? HaikuDepot says we have version 1.7.1-2 (https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/pkg/openttd/haikuports/1/7/1/-/2/x86_64?bcguid=bc168-LJLK) but the latest version is 12.0 which was released two days ago (https://www.openttd.org/news/2021/10/17/openttd-12-0.html).

4 Likes

The Jitsi channel has been quiet this week, but we did have some interesting chat.
Anyone would volunteer to schedule a talk? Maybe an introduction to HaikuPorter?

4 Likes

or how to create a package

Great news! I spent a lot of time working on it upstream for 4 months, with my efforts (hopefully) having concluded in September. It must compile as-is, and should work perfectly fine, but I had some problems with my environment’s mesa, so I did not end up building a recipe for it. I used a bunch of patches for Teeworlds for it and wrote a bunch of stuff on my own with the help of the developers.

5 Likes

Ah yeah, I’d dare to bet … Mirr-Murr, the tom-cat IS CAPABLE of anything … with a little help of His Friends ! :smiley:

{ sorry folks, basically it’s clear only for hungarians, I assume, as he is the wonderful hungarian stop-motion animated puppet hero from the the picture :wink: }

EDIT : fixed a typo

Thats true.

Anyway, can we , who were not participated in it, know some more about this coding sprint of 2021 ?
as I followed the flow until this here but I assume it happened mainly on IRC, so nothing about conclusion what progress it had run out … 8-D

There was no dedicated report for it, but the work done on Haiku side is included in the Haiku activity report for October: Haiku activity report - October 2021 | Haiku Project and there will be more in the november and maybe december ones as the code gets finalized, reviewed and merged.

1 Like