Haiku coding sprint 2021

Yeah, that´s great, I like it. Can I have that in .rdef format? Or .hvif would also do I guess…
Thanks a lot. Don´t worry about not knowing the Kottan series, Columbo is not bad as a reference.

No prob,
2D version, just changed the colour of the hat: http://0x0.st/-g0C.bin
axonometric version, no hat : http://0x0.st/-gGs.bin

1 Like

To see the current list of programs at HaikuArchives that have issues tagged with hacktoberfest use this link, then click the hacktoberfest topic link on the right side of the page.

We will be watching for new pull requests that aim to fix any of the many open issues. If we are taking too long add reviewers to your pull request. Try to pick reviewers who have committed to the program in the past. If you see an issue you want to work on that isn’t tagged HacktoberFest, just ask us and we can consider adding it. If you want to tag issues on your open source program, just read the instructions on the Hacktoberfest site, and tag items with the tag. We used color #dd7700 for our tag. Then post a link to your project here so others can see it.

-Scott

6 Likes

Just noticed the banner that said it had been 8 years since your last post, so welcome back :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@scottmc has been around all the while, one of the silent motors behind it all :slight_smile: :ok_hand:

10 Likes

Would it be possible for someone to do a walkthrough/video on updating an existing piece of software on Haikuports (assuming no new extra patches, etc).? My brain doesnt seem to get our current documentation on it.
We have a lot of old software in there that could attempted to be updated during this sprint.

5 Likes

This is a great idea. If a member of the dev team can update the documentation and share, I can try to take the plunge and make a video. I’m already working on a promotional video.

3 Likes

Is / could there be a quick ref list of the current state (how much is ported / working) of various main projects? So ppl don’t have to keep asking, and one can dive straight in to a project e.g.,:

Java 16 - 65%
Java 8 - 60%
Java17 (64bit) - 0%
Qt-5 - 90%
Qt-6 - 0%
Arm v7 (32bit) - 55%
Arm v7 (64bit) - 0%
RISC-V - 40%
GCC2 - 100%
GCC4 - 80%
goland - 70%
swift - 30%
3D hardware graphics acceleration - (don’t ask) :slight_smile:

1 Like

A good starting point would be to check out the issue at haikuports, plenty of outdated recipes/ports there.

As an example: conky package versions - Repology

Check our port at: haikuports conky

For the most only COPYRIGHT, REVISION (those 2 not always needed) and CHECKSUM_SHA256 should be changed.

Check the build

Create a branch and file a PR upstream

There’s also haikuports hacktoberfest tags

And

HaikuArchives hacktoberfest tags

1 Like

You don’t know how much more work is required, until you have already done the work :slight_smile: Especially for these big things.

Also, a percentage doesn’t really tell you what needs to be done.

If you don’t know what to start with and just want to work on just anything, you can look at haikuports issues and pull requests, which gives a good indication of the “next thing on the TODO list”.

3 Likes

Second that, sometimes you want to update a library, but upon checking there are more recipes involved that require updates also, some don’t have dependencies for/to others.
As an example, when I wanted to update to the latest openEXR release, I had to take other recipes into that process … (so I made a file listing the needed changes):

openexr3-libbumps

1 Like

Please dont call it so, some people dislike to read and/or ask and they will think Haiku is stuck with GCC4. Many even still think we are stuck with GCC2.

Hmm it should be possible to do some form of visualization of the dependency graph, like with graphviz maybe…

3 Likes

Yeah, probably, just did it like this because I’m not to familiar with the other options I guess :wink:

1 Like

A dependency graph could be very helpful.

2 Likes

Hi! I plan to participate as I now have plenty of free time and willingness to commit to bigger project :slight_smile:

My idea is to first work on setting up VS Code for development (on remote macOS machine) and then writing up some documentation how others can do it too.

Second thing I want to work on is the driver for my Ethernet card: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/16797 - it fails to set up and I can reproduce this.

8 Likes

Hello eveyone,
I’d like to participate in this event, if it’s open to newcomers… hopefully I’ll have some spare time in October.

I have some experience with buildroot and cross-compile package building (so far debian and rpm) so perhaps I could contribute to haikuports.

12 Likes

Am I wrong in assuming most of the code reviewers are European? If so, I’ll need to plan on getting up before the rising sun here in the north-central USA.

3 Likes

Would be nice to have some more devs to help with moderating the Jitsi channels. Ping me and we’ll get you an account on it.

Are accounts required? How do we set this up to participate?

1 Like