Haiku coding sprint 2021

There’s not much in the way of documentation I’m afraid. I’ve had to scratch my head a lot when refactoring the code. I created some high level intro videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWoOSZbmib_fSMXO7MoiB6lRqw0hnctQK

Issues and Milestones may help too:

Happy to have a zoom call sometime to walk you through it though!

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks.
I’ll take a look and see what the codebase feels like.

Great! There’s some branches off of the develop branch where I’ve done some work on some of the issues. Would it be useful if I go through and mark some issues as ‘Good first issue’ and perhaps create a GitHub Project for the coding print with Paladin issues that are short work items?

1 Like

Sure! That would definitely help me and other contributors.
I’m familiar with Haiku in a “user” capacity.

So I’ll be exploring the Paladin IDE, followed by the codebase in the meantime.

2 Likes

There are these developer docs too. I’ve also added the good first issue label now to issue. Will create a GitHub Project for the coding sprint next.

4 Likes

Here’s the Kanban style summary for all the good first issue issues for the coding sprint! If there’s any guidance/notes that need to be added there to assist, let me know!

2 Likes

Would any of the seasoned developers wants any specific hardware or hardware combinations available to test during this period? Either as in someone else testing certain setups, or shipping something out to them?

1 Like

Quick question: Is the recommended way to develop Paladin on Haiku? i.e by bootstrapping it?
I boot Haiku on a VM, and am on a Windows 10 machine, my workflow being clang/MSCV, CMake and VSCode. So it generally works well for cross platform C++ projects. I read the CONTRIBUTING.md and had this question.

Hi,

Yes, it’s easiest to do it inside Haiku since you will need to run the generated binaries there anyway.

Cross compilation is possible; but not easy to set up because we do not ship a ready to use cross compiler (there are some scripts to create one but they are not well documented and possibly not well maintained).

Would it be worthwhile to update (if needed) any of our Development\Getting Started docs before this event?

It’s always a good time to improve our documentation. Before the sprint, during the sprint, and even after the sprint.

8 Likes

Agreed, I just meant a review before it starts to possibly reduce some of the initial questions.

1 Like

Sounds good to me!

Since we’ll have some Jitsi rooms available, it would be interesting to see how well it works in WebPositive :smiley: and yeah, UVC support needs work.

1 Like

Noob question: When does it start?

The event page is here: Online coding sprint | Haiku Project - it starts on the 18th of October.

2 Likes

WebPositive has no support for web audio nor webcams currently, so it won’t work.

If you still need a icon for Kottan this a quick (2D) draft of a weird detective with trench coat, moustaches and a fedora hat, somehow between Clouseau, Poirot and Columbo; Kottan never aired in Italy so I don’t have a reference, in the 80’s we only had Derrick and Matula ^^;
kottan.png_64

6 Likes

This is a pretty good start for an icon! All it needs is to be rendered at an isometric angle just like most Haiku-style icons. Colours are quite on-point already.

1 Like

Don’t know if it could be of any use, but I gathered (wip) some variables over time that I now added to my wiki at github: Useful recipe variables

2 Likes