Google's rejection of Haiku for SoC - very disappointing

Hi all -

I have to say that I’m very disappointed to see that Haiku was turned down by Google for the Summer of Code. Also disappointing that they (Google) declined to give the reason for this. Anyway …

There are many big projects which have been accepted, a number of which have been around for a very long time.

I would have thought the Haiku project (because of its newness, small size, and Haiku’s outstanding potential) would have been a prime candidate for being accepted.

Anyway - this just makes me love Haiku even more … :wink:
Haiku devs - keep up the great work - you rock!!

Right - I’m off to the build-factory to d/l the latest image …
( strides off into the sunset … )

• latte
latte wrote:
There are many **big** projects which have been accepted, a number of which have been around for a very long time.

I would have thought the Haiku project (because of its newness, small size, and Haiku’s outstanding potential) would have been a prime candidate for being accepted.

I think the big project were the prime candidate.

• They have shown that they work.
  • The people know them.
  • It´s allmost no risk in investing in the project, because they will survive the next few years.

Haiku on the other side:

• It is not only new, it has not even released the first official Version of the OS
  • Their are not many people who know it.
  • It has still to prove its outstanding potential, it has never been tested in public.

So I think Haiku will have a much better chance next year, when the first Version of the OS is out.

I’m not impressed on how Google went about their selection. They picked projects as the applications came in, instead of waiting until they were all received.

As far as Haiku, I’d still like to see some projects clearly defined for the summer. I’m hoping to have some more time this summer to code. I’d imagine there are some other people who will as well (even though some will have less).

Someone asked about Haiku specifically on the SoC mailing list and this was the sole Google response:

"So we weigh a great number of factors before accepting an
organization, but first know this:

1. We get more applications than there are spots for orgs.

This means that more orgs will be turned down than accepted and we
have to decide who to allow to participate. So for some , the reason
is that they’re not someone else, or that we’re just full up.

Chris"

How useless is that? The question is why not Haiku instead of one of the three Linux distributions included? Why, specifically, was the project passed over?

I feel sorry for the Haiku team because as far as commercial support is concerned, they don’t seem to be able to catch a break. It’s especially a shame when you consider that Haiku isn’t just useful as desktop OS, but could easily (well, more easily than Linux) be repurposed for something like embedded use. Hopefully we’ll see more interest in the platform once a release is made, but at this rate it isn’t very promising.

Dirty Harry wrote:
Someone asked about Haiku specifically on the SoC mailing list and this was the sole Google response:

"So we weigh a great number of factors before accepting an
organization, but first know this:

1. We get more applications than there are spots for orgs.

This means that more orgs will be turned down than accepted and we
have to decide who to allow to participate. So for some , the reason
is that they’re not someone else, or that we’re just full up.

Chris"

How useless is that? The question is why not Haiku instead of one of the three Linux distributions included? Why, specifically, was the project passed over?

I feel sorry for the Haiku team because as far as commercial support is concerned, they don’t seem to be able to catch a break. It’s especially a shame when you consider that Haiku isn’t just useful as desktop OS, but could easily (well, more easily than Linux) be repurposed for something like embedded use. Hopefully we’ll see more interest in the platform once a release is made, but at this rate it isn’t very promising.

No despair because of this mate. Googles money, google decides. Besides, for all we know Google might pop up another one of those Linux distros (or more likely buy someone).

Simply face that for now, Haiku is an outsider and is very likely be just that for a time to come. So simply aim for R1, after that, things can actually happen which I think they can’t at the moment.

Explainaing above. Browse SourceForge, check how much abandonware there is there… it’s almost silly… ofcourse no one believes in Haiku. But I do, you do, and a lot more do, but no one else will until R1.

HaiCube wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:
Explainaing above. Browse SourceForge, check how much abandonware there is there... it's almost silly... ofcourse no one believes in Haiku. But I do, you do, and a lot more do, but no one else will until R1.
Ultimately, Google don't want a project to pop up, rake off $5000 and disappear. I suspect that once R1 is released, Haiku Inc, will at least have a better than average shot at SoC.

You’ll get this done to R1 without google. I’m not impressed nobody is interested about this project currently. But that day will come.

I’ve started this initiative:

http://www.haikubounties.org

I hope it helps, and will get used!

So far there’s over $300 USD in donations.

kvdman wrote:
I've started this initiative:

http://www.haikubounties.org

I hope it helps, and will get used!

So far there’s over $300 USD in donations.

.ui

Keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

I was just reading a comment at Osnews…

One guy said he would be reluctant to send money in because i’m a third party. I can understand that I guess.

I need to get Haikubounties officially endorsed by Haiku. Hmmm… time to write some more emails.

This is still bloody good work, mate. $550 in a few days… WOW!

Official endorsement can only help :slight_smile:

Getting official will help a lot.
But it could also help if you put your adress on the page.
You ask for money and give no chance to identify yourself.

It´s simply that the people can´t be save that the money is used in the intended way.

Getting rejected from Google’s summer of code is dissappointing, of course, but it isn’t surprising in the least. Summer of Code is a highly publicised and high profile event. It’s an honor amongst the Slashdot reading world, and even more of an honor to be one of those student workers who ends up getting paid to work with their favorite project. Not to say that Haiku does not deserve such an honor, but as others have said before, Haiku is not well known.

Haiku Bounties is an awesome idea, definitely.

I think that the project should be hitting the corporations and the like for funding. What do you guys think?

I’ve added my contact info to the Haiku bounties site.

Haiku Bounties is a good idea.
How’s it being tied to donations?

It could be tied in that way that users who donate to Haiku will have a percentage of their donation influxed to the bounties, thus improving quality maybe in a faster way. And not dependant on Google :slight_smile: (though donation depended. But even donation dependency isnt that big an issue I guess, since "hobby" coders DO manage to make really decent software. Just have a look at the daily new entries on freshmeat!)

that’s the problem right now…

i’m more than willing to communicate with Haiku, and have sent several emails, asking for official endorsement and a panel to evaluate potential bounty applicants proposals and work. The idea is more than 2 months old and I still haven’t got much of an answer.

i don’t really know what to say/do. i want to help, but people have to communicate.

i’ve also sent my link to the site to several beos/haiku related news sites. many responded writing a short blurb and linking me, but as more news comes, the article gets pushed lower, people forget about the site, and the ratio of frequency of donations has reduced dramatically.

for this reason i made a ‘donate logo’ and asked people to insert in their sites, but nobody has :frowning:

if nobody knows about it, how can they donate. ugh…

kvdman wrote:
that's the problem right now...

i’m more than willing to communicate with Haiku, and have sent several emails, asking for official endorsement and a panel to evaluate potential bounty applicants proposals and work. The idea is more than 2 months old and I still haven’t got much of an answer.

i don’t really know what to say/do. i want to help, but people have to communicate.

i’ve also sent my link to the site to several beos/haiku related news sites. many responded writing a short blurb and linking me, but as more news comes, the article gets pushed lower, people forget about the site, and the ratio of frequency of donations has reduced dramatically.

for this reason i made a ‘donate logo’ and asked people to insert in their sites, but nobody has :frowning:

if nobody knows about it, how can they donate. ugh…

I perceive this as a growing problem also… Haiku’s official administration is somewhat of a bottleneck at the moment. Fortunately, this does not impact the current developers much - but as you’re pointing out, it may impact any official movement.

When Haiku R1 gets nearer - this is going to be a critical issue that must be addressed. Failure to address this problem will result in many potentially-positive communications going sour as a result of non-responsiveness - and an unresponsive organization tends to generate a lack of interest.

What happens when several people work together on a bounty project? How would the $500 get split if several people work on the network stack together? Who decides how much each person gets?
–Walter Huf–

well, it says in the guidelines that a team leader applies for the bounty in this case, and it’s up to this one person to divide the bounty up how they please amongst the team members.

shevegen wrote:
But even donation dependency isnt that big an issue I guess, since "hobby" coders DO manage to make really decent software. Just have a look at the daily new entries on freshmeat!)

Yeah. Dedicated volunteers do make a big difference, but project leads need to be able to dedicate a lot of their time to the project on a consistent basis. Too bad that most of us have bills to pay, or other obligations. Not relying on donations means not being able to pay people like Axel D, so I wouldn’t go that far. It is a big deal. (:

And let’s face it, Axel D has been a massive help, right? Hell, wouldn’t it be nice to have money for dedicated test hardware, a place to work, materials for big donators or would-be patrons of haiku software? Heh.