Godot on Haiku

Good day,

Well, looks like Godot is starting to work on Haiku, though with issues. I brought my work from Linux to Haiku and started testing with a Game Project (ARO v1.2) which is the Godot port of ARO 1.0 made with Unity.

Right now, Godot keeps the preferences set by the user, interface colors, panels location and so on, which is nice. Still, the Godot software window takes the whole screen and is not resizeable. Some more issues have been already reported on Github:

and some more…

And here some samples of the project running on Haiku:
0main
1options
2play

There is persistence of the main menu across all screens at the moment. The last image shows the Play scene starting, after that scene, the game crashes and so does Godot before even the 3D objects appear. In fact the main menu scene (first image) should show the Game logo and some ships flying by that are not there. The logo can be seen if you do some effort with your eyes, but the rest seems pitch black. Also the menu options show the unfocused mode at the same time as the focused which didn’t happen on Linux. :thinking: video driver playing here? :thinking: :thinking:

Looks like I should take a different approach at the moment and try a very simple game. :laughing:Nonetheless, this is a great improvement over what I experienced back when I first tried to use Godot on Haiku back then.

Regards,
RR

5 Likes

Good day,

As I said in the prior post, I though I had to take a different approach atm. So I did:
screenshot2

The idea is making a simple game entirely with Godot and ON Haiku, starting from scratch. Yesterday I made some assets with Krita and the Huion digitizer (Huion graphics tablet) and started to use them inside Godot.

There are more issues that I’m discovering as I use Godot, that I will report later on, and make the development in the editor a bit weird (be watel my fliend), and slow, so patience.
Reminds me of the old Macintosh OS 6x days, when I had the bombs of hell every single day :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Difference is that on Haiku just kill the process, back on Macintosh had to hard shutdown and boot again. :joy:

The “good thing” about this situation is that I do really have to plan in advance the node tree structure, if not, I end up doing it over and over again… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Let’s see if I can finish a simple small project.
Regards,
RR

10 Likes

Good day,

Well, looks like “waiting” is the thing to do now. Stalled as Godot now also stalls when trying to open a scene, this after last Haiku update (hrev55001). Will update when things go back to “working”.

Regards,
RR

Good day,

godoticons

While waiting to get on with the game, there are still other things that can be done. Like the Icons for Godot files shown in the above pic, properly assigned once I understood the Filetype rules thanks to @nephele.

Regards,
RR

3 Likes

Good day,

And now, Godot working with CudaText, opens the script file in CudaText from Godot, though still need to tweak the External editor parameters to open the folder as project folder and the file:
screenshot3
screenshot2

Godot still has issues though. Hopefully will get better soon? @CodeforEvolution? , @cocobean ? :innocent:

Regards,
RR

7 Likes

And after using the right Exec Flags, loads the project and opens the GDScript file in CudaText:
screenshot3

So proper exec flags at the moment, to load the project and open the file would be:
{project} {file}

Little by little.

Regards,
RR

7 Likes

@roiredxsoto what’s the status on godot atm, there is an open PR at haikuports which enables the builds (by @cocobean ), is it “usable” ?

1 Like

Good day @Begasus,

Actually, the status of Godot on Haiku, at the moment, is that it boots, loads projects, creates projects, and can run projects too. Also can set the external editor of liking. These, nonetheless, with plenty of issues. I wasn’t able to move forward on the Game project I tried to make only using Haiku and software available on Haiku, so I had to move back to Silverblue. I’m talkin Godot 3.2.4, which is the one I tried to use.

Don’t know if the PR deals with this version or newer ones (3.3.4 is the current today) and some of the issues are solved there.

It’s not stable enough for production yet. At least from what I have experienced until now.

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Thanks for the answer @roiredxsoto , @cocobean maybe mark the PR for the arches with ? so they won’t get build but we could merge then?

EDIT checking a build on 32bit atm, looking at the recipe from Arch I think you could add some libraries that we already have on haikuports?

Howdy,

I have the Godot 3.3.4 build for phase 2.
Currently, it is here: https://github.com/kenmays/godot/tree/haiku-3.3.4

The Godot 3.3.0rc1 (i.e. 3.2.4rc1) build was/is for Phase 1…

3 Likes

Good day @cocobean,

Didn’t know that one. I’m really hoping I can use it for a full project, so as soon as it’s available to install I’ll start testing :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

If it runs in a window… mmmm… :star_struck: :star_struck:

KUDOS!!!
Regards,
RR

3 Likes

Hi,

Godot can compile for Haiku right now?
The x86 version make some terminate process error on my virtualbox machine.

1 Like