Huion graphics tablet

Good day,

Well, seems Wacom is working now, at least my small Graphite A6, with pressure sensitivity.

Huion is a different issue. The Huion Giano W1409 that I have has a weird behavior. When using usb wire to connect it to the “Haikbox” it causes a KDL:
IMG_20200720_191938215

When using the wireless receiver, no KDL, the pointer moves across the screen though no click, as reported long ago in here as pointed out by @X512.

For now, it’s still useless as no click available. I’m shocked though that with the USB wire causes a KDL on connection.

I need to do more testing though, but already added the KDL to the ticket.

Regards,
RR

There are high chance that this can be easily fixed. HID report descriptor is needed for details.

UPDATE: This problem is reported in #14592.

Good day,

Looks like the Huion graphics tablet support has improved lately. My WH1409 has started to work since this friday, February 5th. First time I tried after the switch. I’ve already reported in bugtracker the issues, but for now, the Digitizer is usable with pressure sensitivity. I tried with Krita:

There are issues still though. I have to plug the digitizer before turning on the pc, as if I plug the digitizer when Haiku is running it causes a KDL crash. Already reported.

Anyway, it’s a great improvement, as now I can use the Huion digitizer on Haiku. Even the pen button responds to press, launching the right click menu. Good thing. I still have to test the digitizer’s buttons, though those are not that important atm.

Yes, I do know I need to improve my 书法, way too long without using a pen nor a pencil … :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the improvement. :star_struck: :star_struck:
Regards,
RR

1 Like

My Huion H430P worked with pen pressure too in kirta
IDK about other tablets tho, because the H430P is more “supported” because it might use a more broad driver to get it working on android, where getting new drivers is basically impossible.

Good day,

The Huion digitizer also appears in the “input” preferences window now. Yes, 3 tablets, 3 mouses and 6 keyboards… I use both hands both feet and nose and ears to use all those devices :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
screenshot5
though appears as mouse… :thinking:

Regards,
RR

Ahhrgh!.. I would spend an hour staring at all this and wondering where is what.
I hope that you don’t need to unplug things so the order doesn’t change each time you boot…

That’s expected, the input preferences has no specific code for tablets yet.

It does a good job of exposing how our USB HID driver is not so great and publishes tons of devices instead of just a single one, too :stuck_out_tongue:

Good day,

Just as @PulkoMandy said, is due to USB driver… Damn, for a moment I thought it was the Keyboard, Mouse and Digitizer having inter-peripheral “coitus”, spawning offsprings :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, and the digitizer stopped working… :grimacing: seems it works randomly…

Regards,
RR

Good day,

Finally, today I was able to do some Game assets with Krita using the Huion W1409 digitizer with pressure sensitivity and all that:
screenshot1
I had to plug the digitizer before turning on the PC, if plugged after Haiku was running I end up in KDL.

Now let’s make something in Godot with these assets… hopefully… :grinning:

Regards,
RR

4 Likes

Have you created bug report or some existing report exists?

1 Like

Good day @X512,

There is already a bug report: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14592#comment:27

I took a pic of the KDL but can’t upload it from Haiku as took it with the phone and my Haiku crashes if I try to transfer images from phone to the pc. I’ll do later from Linux.
As I said in the bug report, it’s a great improvement, as I can use the Digitizer plugged trhough USB cable which I can’t do on Fedora Silverblue. :wink:

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Is there a report about this?

1 Like

Not sure about this. There is the Android File Transfer app, I presume is in Haikuports. I just tried once and crashed into KDL. In order to report this I should test again and report on Github. Certainly something I have to do, just have it delayed as other things got in the way… :pensive:

Regards,
RR

1 Like

3rd party applications should not crash kernel if they don’t have kernel drivers. USB is available from userland so kernel driver is not needed.

2 Likes

Ok. It might not be KDL then. I’ll try again and take into account your insights to properly identify the issue and thus consecuently report it.
Thanks @X512.
Regards,
RR

1 Like

Would be fine to get some tutorials developing with godot and using krita

Good day @lelldorin,

There is already a website specialized on this, GDQuest if I recall correctly. Krita seems to work fine on Haiku, Godot is still a WIP, getting better, but still hard to work with. Actually, today was the first time I used Krita, and had to read some docs (official Krita doc) as I was used to Gimp.

If you mean a Haiku specific tutorial, … mmmm… these apps actually seem to work the same on every platform. I use Godot having the official doc site open all the time, same with Blender and now with Krita too … :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The fact that I can use the digitizer (sometimes) is a plus here.

Regards,
RR

@X512, the crash picture is almos the same as the one I posted in the third post of this topic. KDL due to same exception:

Regards,
RR

1 Like

It is important that we have Haiku specific tutorials, because it puts the focus on haiku and not on Linux or Windows. In addition, there are often small differences, whether during installation, setting, etc. Referring to Linux tutorials is also often problematic because there are so many semi-finished tutorials here that you often get stuck where a description was simply omitted. One of the reasons to make our own knowledge base for haiku (http://besly.de), because the tutorials there are all tested.

Good day @lelldorin,

Agree on the tested tutorials, though from my short experience with Haiku at using Godot and Krita I see not much difference in anything. Let me detail:
Installing software:

• Linux: Installing Gimp, Godot, Inkscape, Blender, Vim and MyPaint , I do from the software store.
  • Haiku: Installing Krita, Blender, Vim, I do from HaikuDepot. Godot, and also some Blender versions I’m counting on the work by @CodeforEvolution and @cocobean, as they provide the packages for testing. Godot 3.2.4rc is the one I’m using

Digitizer:

• Linux: I must use the digitizer with the wireless connection. With USB wired connection the Huion does not work. It’s being recognized but unusable, at least on Silverblue.
  • Haiku: I must plug the USB wire of the Huion digitizer before turning on the computer, and even that, sometimes it fails. If I plug the Huion once Haiku is running there’s a big chance that I end up in KDL, as reported.

Workflow:

• Linux: I used Inkscape for vector, Mypaint for painting textures for 2D objects and 3D models, Blender for 3D models and GIMP for processing the images.
    With Godot I use an external code editor, in this case, I used Vim as also available on Haiku. On Linux I had a big Vim window with vertical splits and NerdTree to see the project files, and open them from within the Vim window inside an existing VSplit or in a new VSplit.
  • Haiku: I’m learning Krita and use it for Vector drawing, painting and processing 2D textures atm. Haven’t really used Blender yet. Takes time to adapt to use Krita instead of 3 apps, but I’m working on it.
    With Godot, I also use an external editor, and use Vim too (because available on both platforms and has the Godot plugin), though the setup is different, I just use a 80 char width window, because on Haiku I can stack and tile Vim windows and have the files tracker window tiled to the code windows, and can cycle through the stacked Vim windows easily. I can’t yet switch from Godot to Vim because Godot is full screen and takes full control of input. In fact, in order to take a screenshot of Godot’s full screen window I have to trick it, so I configured the Deskbar to auto-rise, then I set the focus to a tracker window and then I can take the screenshot of the whole desktop including Godot at full screen.

I’ll see what happens if I can complete the simple game when I try to export it, and run the game.

As you see, there is not much difference but on the software available and the fact that with Haiku I “don’t need” to have a big Vim window. In the way software works, I still haven’t found any difference per se. We will see if this changes when I get deeper with Krita, Blender and Godot.

I don’t use Wonderbrush, though it’s available now on 64 bits mostly because I haven’t found a way to snap whatever to a grid. I always have snapping on to do this kind of stuff but plain texture painting with MyPaint.

With more experience I’ll be able to tune this post up and we might be ready to have some tutorial. In the meantime, I just use default manuals of Blender, Krita and Godot :wink:

Regards,
RR

5 Likes