GL Teapot 60FPS

Umm… Try to avoid using AI written posts on the forum, okay?

3 Likes

LOL, but that’s still my opinion :slight_smile:

#SaveTheHaikuTeapot

Try AI-translated rather than AI-written.

That‘s complete nonsense, the teapot is associated with early days of 3D graphics, not with Haiku.

It‘s a quirky tech demo to show „Yes, we also can do what opengl 1.0 can“

It server no use anymore other than misleading people into thinking somehow that the llvmpipe performamce is adequte for games they have not tested.

edit: Utah teapot - Wikipedia

“If it works, don’t touch it”. Also, the teapot was part of BeOS R5 which Haiku R1 aims to recreate, so it should definitely stay at least till R1 release.

2 Likes

I saw a similar argument based on BeOs opening a webbrowser on first launch, so we should too.

I am not of the opinion that we should replicate behaviour or software parts that we do not like. BeOS R5 still exists if you want an exact replica, but Haiku will never be one.

Stuff like the layout kit already makes sure every application will look different to BeOS, should we remove it and hardcode controls again? : )

The application that was present in BeOS, statistically speaking, was present in 70% of screenshots.

Remember that Doom ran better on BeOS than on Windows :slight_smile:

My post was ironic. I believe it is such a simple yet extremely impactful program.

When we had fun bringing BeOS to various hack meetings around Italy, it was one of the applications that attracted the most attention.

It is absolutely clear that a more serious and modern benchmark is needed. We often talk about this need in the Italian usergroup chat.

Deleting an icon of our history? No.

3 Likes

It is not and never was a benchmarl.

#SaveTheHaikuTeapot :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

GLTeapot was already present in BeOS as part of sample code collection: BeSampleCode/open_gl/GLTeapot at haiku · HaikuArchives/BeSampleCode · GitHub.

2 Likes

Irrelevant. It’s part of Haiku. That’s like removing or changing chime on macs, or dropping chess from Mac OS. If you want to start removing things that make Haiku Haiku, then develop some other operating system so that you won’t be interfering with this one.

Teapot is a demo. It’s fun, and has purpose beyond telling you how powerful your computer is. If you want an actual benchmark tool, it’s better to add one, not replace with one.

4 Likes

It is most likely a generated post, which explains the parts that don’t make sense.

Right, however the teapot itself predates BeOS by decades:

So, technically you and nephele are both right. nephele is just more right. :smile:

But Utah Teapot itself have no relation with BeOS or Haiku. Only BeOS GLTeapot demo has.

As stated in the first sentence of the Utah teapot Wikipedia article:

The Utah teapot, or the Newell teapot, is a 3D test model that has become a standard reference object and an in-joke within the computer graphics community.

Unless someone can prove that the people at Be completely independently thought of using a teapot for a 3D demo, it’s prolly safe to say that the BeOS teapot is just another instance of the Utah teapot meme propagating again.

Nobody claim that teapot 3D model was invented by Be Inc… The claim is about specific BeOS GLTeapot demo that is quite unique, even with common teapot 3D model. Most UNIX-like distributions use gears for 3D demo, not teapot.

3 Likes

Not saying at all that I’m in favor of removing it, but instead of throwing it out completely, it might be an option to either convert it into a screensaver in its existing form, or to extend the application into a 3D model file viewer based on translators, which would fit well with the original idea of a media-focussed OS.

Both these options would require more effort than either leaving or removing it though.

It would be just as ok to keep it, as a demo of OpenGL, but removing the fps counter. But people were very opposed to removing it, and there was a big movement asking for the 60fps cap to be removed.

Unfortunately, that gives space to discussions about the value of it as a benchmark to keep appearing.

1 Like

The OpenGL Teapot is actually a very inside joke in the computer graphics industry. It’s why Be included it in the BeOS as a OpenGL test.

Now. The usefulness of GLTeapot in Haiku. I actually use it quite a bit as a test of the OpenGL kit. It’s a handy sanity check and shows a lot of issues.

Why not Haiku3D? Haiku3D doesn’t have mouse interaction with the objects. We discover a lot of odd cases when the mouse gets involved.

So… i’d support actually removing GL Teapot IF the Haiku3D demo got some additional things:

• Mouse Interaction
  • Adjustable backgrounds?
  • Mesh options
  • Texture options
  • FPS? Why not.

tldr; make Haiku3D exercise some stuff, and it is a fine fill in. Just leave the glinfo tool alone :slight_smile:

And yeah, GLTeapot is NOT a benchmark. The FPS means nothing now-a-days since rendering a single object isn’t difficult. If you want a performance test that’s a “little” more stressful, checkout GLKitMark

It’s still pretty weak, but does some actual calculations and numbers to compare.

7 Likes

Why obfuscate things? If you want new things to be added to improve the actual benchmarking characteristics, or want new screensavers, then that is great. Why remove or even move something that people like to use?

5 Likes

I am merely suggesting that instead of removing it entirely as some people advocate for, converting to a screensaver or enhancing it into something more useful like a generic 3d file viewer might be a good way to keep this little nod to BeOS and the history of 3D graphics while addressing their concerns with it.

Personally, I don’t have a problem at all with the program in its current form.

It’s one more thing someone new to the system can play with after installing without figuring out how to download software first, and the use case of testing if basic 3d rendering is working makes sense to me as well, especially once we get hardware acceleration with different drivers involved.

From a marketing perspective, it also communicates “we can do basic 3d just fine”.